Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
plyscope
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Perth, West Australia
Re: Poor cases, why? new [Re: Pinewood]
      #5586337 - 12/23/12 09:59 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

I'm happy with the plastic objective covers on the little Nikon. The Swarovski Habicht 8x30W has no objective covers supplied at all and the rainguard is not large enough to cover the full range of IPD adjustment. The soft case is better than the Nikon one but still does not offer much protection.

Today I recieved a new Steiner 7x30 Commander XP. It has good objective covers that stay with the bino and the raingaurd is reasonable. The soft case is the best I've seen supplied as standard equipment. It has it's own strap and a good zip. The bigger 7x50 version comes with a wooden case.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinewood
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/04

Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W
Zeiss accessories new [Re: plyscope]
      #5586423 - 12/23/12 11:05 PM

Hello,

The nicest accessories came with my Ziess 8x32 FL: a nice Cordura case, with room for a small notebook or pad, tethered objective covers and a rain guard which stays on the binocular. A nylon case is not much protection but the binocular is very rugged, so it protects against scrapes, protruding objects and one's own fingers. In fact, I use it only for storage because, that binocular is never subjected to hardships and the covers and rain guard provide ample protection without hindering use or access.

Clear skies,
Arthur

Joad
Wordsmith

Reged: 03/22/05

Re: Poor cases, why? new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5586492 - 12/24/12 12:18 AM

My Browning 8X42 came with well fitting plastic objective covers and tethered rubberized ocular covers. The padded case is lightweight but nicely protective. A leather case would be very nice, but no better functionally, and probably as expensive as the binocular (leather is expensive).

This binocular has been discontinued (some years ago), and was probably too expensive for Browning to sell at the price the market is willing to bear. I got it on a Sierra Trading Post clearance very cheaply.

It is Japanese made (yes, that is clear on the binocular) and phase coated. A very nice instrument probably most closely related to a Bushnell model (and probably made by the same Japanese supplier, which is probably out of business by now).

Here's what it looked like when it was still available.

Browning 8X42

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03

Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Poor cases, why? new [Re: Joad]
      #5586629 - 12/24/12 03:41 AM

Since lens caps have been entered into the discussion,I will take this opportunity to say that TETHERED caps of any description annoy me.

My Zeiss 7 x 42 BGAT came without any objective caps at all, but with one of those one-piece attached rain guards that always seemed to get in the way,so I removed it.

Similarly,the Helmsman 7x50 arrived with tethered objective caps that tended to dangle in a most ungamely manner,so they too were promptly cut and removed.

Kenny

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/07

Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK
Re: Poor cases, why? new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5586711 - 12/24/12 07:09 AM

Kenny, agree with you on the tethered caps. The Nikon E's caps are in your mouth when viewing through them.
At least there the right shape to make me look like I am smiling!

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Poor cases, why? new [Re: Simon S]
      #5587188 - 12/24/12 12:55 PM

I love tethered caps and put them on all my binos that didn't come that way from the factory. To each his own, but I love not having to fiddle around with loose caps in the dark that eventually get lost. If you hook the eyepiece ones on just one side, they swing out of the way nicely.

Of all my binos, the Fujinons actually do not require a case. They are quite liberally rubber coated with integrated objective covers and built like a tank. A dust case is all that's really needed.

Albie
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/22/05

Loc: Alberta,Canada
Re: Poor cases, why? [Re: Stacy]
      #5587412 - 12/24/12 03:34 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

The case that came with my Bushnell Elite Custom 7x26 is the best case I've had.Nylon semi-hard shell with thick interior padding.It zips up and has a magnetic flap over the zipper.Can be secured through a belt loop or carry strap.Versatile and nice.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greyhaven, Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2110

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics