Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
dlapoint
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/18/03

Loc: Moncton NB Canada
non goto cg5
      #5587834 - 12/24/12 10:30 PM

can u buy one of these mounts with motor drives but no go to?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: non goto cg5 new [Re: dlapoint]
      #5587851 - 12/24/12 10:40 PM

Used non-goto models come up for sale here every now and again. One just sold for under $200. Don't think you can buy them new now.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: non goto cg5 new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5588179 - 12/25/12 08:07 AM

Quote:

Used non-goto models come up for sale here every now and again. One just sold for under $200. Don't think you can buy them new now.

The older mounts came standard with extruded aluminum legs and were quite shaky with a substantial scope on them. The stepper motor drives are also slow and quite unresponsive. The CG-5 Advanced Series was available without the GOTO but used the old stepper drives.

I sold my old CG-5 and replaced it with the GOTO version, not because I wanted the GOTO but rather because I wanted the solid tripod and the responsive drives. I use the GOTO mount in the ED North tracking mode, as desired, there is no GOTO. When I push the button to center the target or to slew the scope, something actually happens in a reasonable amount of time.

Jon

Don Taylor
sage

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: South TEXAS
      #5588290 - 12/25/12 10:33 AM

I just got one of these and I am still learning it. Notice the cost with goto is not much different than the Orion svp with drives (which you might consider)

Nevertheless - several times I've been playing with the mount and do not do the goto alignment. I think it still tracks at the selected rate and you can move the scope with the motors and paddle. In other words it seems to act like a non goto mount if you don't goto align.

Maybe some others on this forum with more experience with this mount can weigh in here.

dlapoint
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/18/03

Loc: Moncton NB Canada
Re: non goto cg5 new [Re: Don Taylor]
      #5588666 - 12/25/12 04:30 PM

Thanks for the info. I have an eq5 mount now, but wanted sometning a little more stable with tracking. can you use the mount with the goto turned off?

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
      #5588678 - 12/25/12 04:47 PM

I think Orion still sells their version of the CG5? the sky view pro, without goto ( in fact, regular drives are optional)

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 573

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics