Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
MikeCMP

Reged: 07/12/11

Loc: Chardon OH
Atlas dc cable has screw collar, why?
      #5588218 - 12/25/12 09:08 AM

Hello,
My lovely wife got my a dc power cable for my atlas mount, and I noticed that the mount end has a screw collar. My mount does not have a matching fitting, is it something on the newer style mounts?

Would be nice to have that is for sure, I use my Velcro cord wrap to keep my dc cable in place in case it tries to loosen itself and pop out.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Atlas dc cable has screw collar, why? new [Re: MikeCMP]
      #5588266 - 12/25/12 10:02 AM

Dunno, cos mine doesn't.

Mine's and older unit, purchased shortly after the GOTO version was introduces. It features a non-threading "L" angled DC plug on the end of the cable.

These have been in production by Synta for quite awhile, and Synta makes many other mounts. My guess would be that the share parts among them, and this run they have DC plugs with threaded collars.

Regards,

Jim

tvoydan
sage

Reged: 09/21/05

Loc: Metro Detroit
Re: Atlas dc cable has screw collar, why? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5588277 - 12/25/12 10:21 AM

The DC power cable for my Orion StarShoot III Mono Camera has a screw fitting and the camera doesn't. Guess it's what's being supplied by China?

Tom

Pat at home
sage

Reged: 03/16/07

Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Ca...
Re: Atlas dc cable has screw collar, why? new [Re: tvoydan]
      #5588282 - 12/25/12 10:28 AM

Suitable (older style I guess) can be had at any Radio Shack/Circuit City store on the continent.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Atlas dc cable has screw collar, why? new [Re: Pat at home]
      #5588317 - 12/25/12 10:55 AM

Synta is only producing one style of DC cable these days. The thread on collar is for the CGEM mount, but you get it with the CG5, Atlas, etc. now, too, even though they can't use the locking feature.

MikeCMP

Reged: 07/12/11

Loc: Chardon OH
Re: Atlas dc cable has screw collar, why? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5588322 - 12/25/12 11:02 AM

Quote:

Synta is only producing one style of DC cable these days. The thread on collar is for the CGEM mount, but you get it with the CG5, Atlas, etc. now, too, even though they can't use the locking feature.

Of course, why have that useful feature across the product line

Thanks for clearing it up.

The other funny thing is the cable is 24 feet long.... What the heck? Been a while since school, but long runs of wire plus DC equals more resistance. Especially since the battery will be right under the tripod. Maybe I could wrap the extra cordage around my scope and keep the dew away

Mike

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Atlas dc cable has screw collar, why? new [Re: MikeCMP]
      #5588354 - 12/25/12 11:29 AM

The extra resistance introduced by the long cable is really pretty insignificant. The problem is that it is inconvenient. Why so long? They seem to think we are going to run the scope/mount off our car batteries, which, of course, nobody who doesn't want to get stranded will do.

Solution? Get thee to Jim Henson's Scopestuff.com and get a nice short coiled power cord. And it will not have the threaded collar that is annoying you.

Why don't all the Synta mounts have the collar? Probably they don't want to go back and update the older mounts, but who knows? Many are the mysteries of the Chinese telescopes.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
      #5588513 - 12/25/12 01:42 PM

The SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 comes with a screw on power cord and matching threaded adapter on the mount. Its a very nice feature.

I would assume that the Orion equivalent to the SkyWatcher version of this mount will come with the screw on power connection and that is why the DC cables are now being made this way.

Jack Huerkamp

skinnyonce

Reged: 03/23/11

Loc: ohio
Re: Atlas dc cable has screw collar, why? new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5601040 - 01/02/13 11:02 AM

has or can an atlas be retro fitted with a screw on power connector,,any links or part numbers from the users welcome

dvb
different Syndrome.

Reged: 06/18/05

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Re: Atlas dc cable has screw collar, why? new [Re: skinnyonce]
      #5633275 - 01/20/13 01:48 PM

The screw collar/ receptical on the mount can be a huge help for use in cold conditions - keeps the cable from falling out when it contracts with the cold.

This is avaiable as a $100.00 upgrade to the Atlas from Astrotroniks:

http://tinyurl.com/am83aeg

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Atlas dc cable has screw collar, why? new [Re: dvb]
      #5633458 - 01/20/13 03:56 PM

Quote:

The screw collar/ receptical on the mount can be a huge help for use in cold conditions - keeps the cable from falling out when it contracts with the cold.

This is avaiable as a $100.00 upgrade to the Atlas from Astrotroniks:

http://tinyurl.com/am83aeg

100 bucks? Now I have heard everything.

dvb
different Syndrome.

Reged: 06/18/05

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
      #5634021 - 01/20/13 10:09 PM

$100.00 isn't cheap, but it isn't unreasonable for replacing the existing female part in the mount - sourcing the part, opening up the head, removing the stock part, soldering in the new part, closing it up.

Easy to do for some, but not for many.

You Southern boys only have to worry 'bout gators nipping at your jeans and the skeeters bitin' on your nack. Upon North, on a mountain top, in a freezing wind, I once had to re-align 5 times when the cable kept falling out due to different rates of metal contraction in the cold. Screw on cable easily worth $100.00 after the 3rd re-alignment.

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1179

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics