Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
Pelican Case (Or Similar) for SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6
      #5589569 - 12/26/12 11:46 AM

I am in the market for a storage case for my AZ-EQ6 mount head and counterweights. Does anyone know which one if any will work with the mount?

Jack

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Pelican Case (Or Similar) for SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5589589 - 12/26/12 11:59 AM

Jack,

As new as the AZ-EQ6 is you may have to pioneer this yourself. Lay out the mount and weights in the configuration you want and use the size chart for Pelican cases to determine the case you will need.

Stan

http://www.pelican.com/case_category.php?CaseSize=%&New=%

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: Pelican Case (Or Similar) for SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5589685 - 12/26/12 12:53 PM

Stan,

I was planing on measuring the foam from the shipping box tonight to see if there is a Pelican Case that I can drop it into. More to follow.

Jack

LateViewer
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Manhattan
      #5589832 - 12/26/12 02:21 PM

I am not sure you want to put the weights in the same case as the mount. I use a separate case for my weights.

I cannot say that I like my counter weight solution and am open to any ideas.

Of course the number of weights is dependent on the size of your optical tube.

martl
sage

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Innsbruck/Austria
      #5589925 - 12/26/12 04:03 PM Attachment (54 downloads)

I modified a trolley (soft shell) for the mount. Unfortunately the smaller ones are just a tad too small if you want to add foam on each side. This one leaves too much room above the mount, the trolley tends to tip over if put in an upright position. I also have to put in more material to secure the counterweight bar. However the packing foam of the EQ6 is a miracle: you can work on it with a stanley knife as easily as cutting paper. Would be the perfect material to make the interior of an eyepiece case. Does anybody know the name of this material?

CS
Martin

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: Pelican Case (Or Similar) for SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: LateViewer]
      #5590365 - 12/26/12 09:55 PM Attachment (47 downloads)

Quote:

I am not sure you want to put the weights in the same case as the mount. I use a separate case for my weights.

I cannot say that I like my counter weight solution and am open to any ideas.

Of course the number of weights is dependent on the size of your optical tube.

I don't have the answer for the size of the Pelican Case but I use a smaller one to hold my CW's and my Dew Zapper equipment. This holds my two 11 lb CW's, one 7.5 lb CW and a 3 lb one.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: Pelican Case (Or Similar) for SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: rigel123]
      #5590377 - 12/26/12 10:00 PM

Thanks to all who responded. The foam packing for the mount is 19 1/2" x 19". I forgot to measure the depth, but will do so tomorrow. The mount itself is about 7" deep. I will look for a case to fit the foam.

Jack

DuiA1

Reged: 05/07/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5590449 - 12/26/12 10:49 PM

Jack , my Pelican 1610 is 17x23x11" deep. It has a sliding handle which you can use to pull it on wheels. It's very nice . Can you post a pic of the top view of the mount in the box with the foam ? If there is enough clearance between the mount and the foam, this may work for you.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: Pelican Case (Or Similar) for SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: DuiA1]
      #5591194 - 12/27/12 01:17 PM

I was searching the Pelican Case website and found a Storm iM2875 case. It has internal dimensions of 22.5x21.1x11.4. I have not measured the height of the foam in the shipping box for the mount, but the other dimensions are 19.5x19. The shipping foam should fit right into the Pelican case with minor shimming needed to achieve a tight fit. I found one on Amazon.com for $222.50 and since I am a Prime member, it will be delivered tomorrow for an additional $3.99. It comes with the pluck foam insert that I won't need, but I will save it in case I ever decide to sell the case.

I took a chance that the depth will be adequate and ordered it. I will take pictures once the Pelican case arrives.

Jack

biz
Vendor

Reged: 11/08/09

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Pelican Case (Or Similar) for SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: martl]
      #5591527 - 12/27/12 05:39 PM

Quote:

I modified a trolley (soft shell) for the mount. Unfortunately the smaller ones are just a tad too small if you want to add foam on each side. This one leaves too much room above the mount, the trolley tends to tip over if put in an upright position. I also have to put in more material to secure the counterweight bar. However the packing foam of the EQ6 is a miracle: you can work on it with a stanley knife as easily as cutting paper. Would be the perfect material to make the interior of an eyepiece case. Does anybody know the name of this material?

Martin.
This material is called polycell foam and yes you are correct, its easy to cut and shape.. I use it a lot to line out cases for mounts/OTA's etc.. It stays the same shape always.. I cut it on my band saw and it comes out really nice and clean.. Top product..
cheers.
Graham.

CS
Martin

johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

#5592063 - 12/28/12 01:15 AM

Jack,

I ordered a Pelican IM2720 Storm Case with interior dimensions of 22" x 17" x 10". I have a similar one for a C-6 scope. According to the measurements I made, the mount should fit in the IM2720 along with the hand controller and the CW bar extender and possibly the secondary saddle. I won't be using that second saddle that often, so I wanted to have as light and compact a case as possible and thus will use the pluck foam instead of using the shipping foam. Mine should arrive Friday or next week.

JohnD

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: Pelican Case (Or Similar) for SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: johnpd]
      #5592476 - 12/28/12 11:10 AM

John,

Mine is suppose to arrive today. I am hoping that if I properly position the factory box foam in the Pelican case, there will be enough room to insert the foam for the two counterweights on one end as well. This would allow everything but the tripod to fit in the Pelican case.

More to follow.

Jack

DuiA1

Reged: 05/07/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5592754 - 12/28/12 02:09 PM

Jack, I think your plan will work great. The factory foam is always the best fit. Just trim it to fit the pelican case. Did this for my lx90 and it has kept it safe for 10 years...and counting. Following with interest...

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: Pelican Case (Or Similar) for SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: DuiA1]
      #5593487 - 12/28/12 10:48 PM

Well my wife waited all day for UPS to deliver the Pelican Storm iM2875 case. When it did not arrive by 5PM, we left to go to dinner. On the way to the restaurant and all the time we were there it poured. We got home and I checked to see what had happened. UPS said they had delivered the package at 1PM at the front door.

I live on 5 acres with several small out building, so I started walking around the flooded yard in the dark looking for the box. Low and behold Big Brown had left the box behind a bush in a garden in front of one of the buildings where there is clearly posted a sign telling drivers not to leave packages but to proceed down the drive to the house. Needless to say the box was destroyed.

Maybe the UPS driver wanted to see if the case could really float.

Just think if this package had contained the SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6.

I have already given UPS a large piece of my mind, but talking to the wall would have evoked more empathy.

Jack

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5593496 - 12/28/12 10:53 PM

Now that I got that off my chest, here is a picture of the Pelican Storm iM2875 case with the SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 shipping foam and counterweight styrofoam placed into it. To get the top of the SkyWatcher foam level with the top of the inner lip of the case, I cut a 24" square interlocking rubber floor pad to fit the bottm. The pads are 1/2" thick and that is exactly how much I had to shim up the foam.

Jack

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5593497 - 12/28/12 10:54 PM

Here is a side view of the case and cover.

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5593523 - 12/28/12 11:09 PM

Here is a picture of the textured side of the rubber floor mat. They come in 8 packs at Sam's Club and I ended using them to provided a cushioned floor in my observatory.

I placed the smooth black side up for the floor.

Also seen below the red rubber mat is the first piece of foam that comes with the Pelican case. It is about 1/2" thick and is notched to miss the wheel indents and handle indent in the bottom of the case.

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5593527 - 12/28/12 11:10 PM

This shows the black rubber pad installed in the case on top of the 1/2" Pelican case foam rubber pad.

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5593531 - 12/28/12 11:13 PM

I notched the styrofoam counterweight blocks to miss the two wheel wells and centered them in the case before wedging in the SkyWatcher foam.

THis case should prove to be a great one for protecting the mount while I travel with it to star parties.

Jack Huerkamp

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
      #5593669 - 12/29/12 12:50 AM

You may want to rotate the foam 180º and put the hand controller at the top end near the handle and the weight of the mount at the bottom of the case.

Stan

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3174

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics