Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
TAK120
journeyman

Reged: 11/23/12

Setting Limits on G11 with Gemini 2 & Firmware
      #5590172 - 12/26/12 07:29 PM

I have a G11 with Gemini 2. It is my first equatorial mount. The OTA is a Takahashi 120 TSA. I am sure that this has been asked before, but can someone either point me to an easy to understand explanation of how the set the limits, or give me a quick brief on the procedure. I am located in Pennsylvania.

Do I simply rotate the RA with the tube pointing to the zenith on the east and west sides of the mount to determine the limits?

Also, what is the best way to perform firmware upgrades, i.e., Ethernet, USB, etc.? Again, where can I find the best procedure to follow.

Again, any guidance here is greatly appreciated as I cannot find a comprehensive explanation. The notorious diagram on the Web at gemini-2.com, with the stickman and two OTAs, is a bit confusing.

This is quite a piece of engineering, but I am wanting for technical documentation.

Many thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: N of Tampa
Re: Setting Limits on G11 with Gemini 2 & Firmware new [Re: TAK120]
      #5590235 - 12/26/12 08:11 PM

Tom has a great web site with all that you could want

http://gemini-2.com/

There is a section on setting the limits,Very Important B4 use!
With very good instructions on setting it up.

http://gemini-2.com/limits.php

When you set them up you use the controller buttons to move the mount to the limit position you want.
ALSO Take care NOT to let the mount run into the MOTORS!They will smash the pc board on the motors if you dont watch out.

interactive setup

http://gemini-2.com/hc-English/En-limits-safety.php

Edited by mega256 (12/26/12 08:21 PM)

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Setting Limits on G11 with Gemini 2 & Firmware new [Re: mega256]
      #5590253 - 12/26/12 08:24 PM

This is what I found out to work

Note: Safety Limits may not take effect until you power down and back up. This has been my experience. The writer of the code says they take effect when set.

I like using the WEB interface to set limit numbers,I find that the numbers that are the dfaults are way too much,mine are much lower than the defaults by at least 10

Edited by mega256 (12/26/12 08:29 PM)

TAK120
journeyman

#5590418 - 12/26/12 10:28 PM

Thanks Bob.

I understand that I need to select Terrestrial mode, slew the RA as far West as possible, loosen the DEC and spin it 360 degrees to ensure clearance (i.e., I will be spinning the OTA in a circle starting from a vertical position, perpendicular to the ground, and then back to the vertical position), and set the limit as appropriate, if it clears the tripod and or tripod and servos. I need to repeat this for the east.

Question: Do I really need to have 360 degrees of spin clearance starting from a position perpendicular to the ground, or am I confused about this procedure?

TAK120
journeyman

#5590419 - 12/26/12 10:28 PM

Thanks Bob.

I understand that I need to select Terrestrial mode, slew the RA as far West as possible, loosen the DEC and spin it 360 degrees to ensure clearance (i.e., I will be spinning the OTA in a circle starting from a vertical position, perpendicular to the ground, and then back to the vertical position), and set the limit as appropriate, if it clears the tripod and or tripod and servos. I need to repeat this for the east.

Question: Do I really need to have 360 degrees of spin clearance starting from a position perpendicular to the ground, or am I confused about this procedure?

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

#5590614 - 12/27/12 12:53 AM

That is very confusing....I never did ...
What I do is with the scope and all assy on..because
my guide scope is on the bottom...I just move the mount
with the HC and set it with the hc,,,then look at the numbers and take a few off for a little more clearence,and use the web interface to store the new numbers..Then I write
it down,so incase I have to reset,I just put those numbers back in..I run a C14 that is big around and my numbers are alot smaller that the defaults...After you do it a few times and test,I do leave the clutchs somewhat lose at first,just incase.Its a lot harder to describe than do...lol..At first it was very goofy to do...
Just remember sometimes you need to shut it down and start again for it to work with the new numbers..
I dont think you need a full 360,they just want to be sure that the closest part of the scope dosnt hit the mount,guiders,finders,ect..I dont think the front of the scope should ever face the ground,anyway? The software wont
or should not let it go below the horizon..

Edited by mega256 (12/27/12 12:54 AM)

TAK120
journeyman

#5590919 - 12/27/12 10:11 AM

Thanks again Bob.

As for the firmware, what method is the "best" for doing firware updates. Here too there are many options.

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

#5590995 - 12/27/12 11:11 AM

I use the web interface for updates...It works best for me.
Its step by step,and I can see all the setup settings on
a single web page.

Pages: 1

Extra information
32 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 553

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics