Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits?
      #5590308 - 12/26/12 09:10 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to post but I've been hanging around here for a while now so here it goes.

I'm have some problems installing the Orion 64 bits on Windows 8. I just won't recognize it. I'm using the same 64 bits drivers I had installed on Windows 7 several times before.

Anyone else not being able to install the SSAG drivers on W8?

Thank you,

Guylain

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shrevestan
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/19/12

Loc: Shreveport, LA
Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: guyroch]
      #5590327 - 12/26/12 09:24 PM

No idea. I've got it working on mine. I did an upgrade on top of my Win7 though if that makes a difference.

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5590382 - 12/26/12 10:01 PM

Read this... thread if it helps. I ran into similar situation with 3MP SSAG. I got it to recognize (details in the other thread) but never got it working with PHD and ended up returning it. Long story short, I tried Lodestar, wasn't happy with it either. Finally settled on SBIG ST-i; works great with PHD.

Note: 1.3MP SSAG (the regular one everyone uses) should work fine on all platforms.

Lodestar thread here.... Thx

Edited by mmalik (12/26/12 10:13 PM)

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: mmalik]
      #5590619 - 12/27/12 12:56 AM

Thanks for the links. I have everything running except for the SSAG and SX Filter Wheel.

The Loadstar, Atik 460EXM, and SBIG 8300 works just fine.

Guylain

waassaabee
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/07

Loc: Central California Coast
      #5591263 - 12/27/12 02:16 PM

Have you tried uninstalling the device, drivers and all registry references, then doing a fresh (admin) install?
I had probs with an older QGuide, and that was the only way I could fix it.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: waassaabee]
      #5592365 - 12/28/12 09:56 AM

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers to no avail.

I made a full disk image on my W7 before I wiped it out to install W8 a few weeks ago.

Last night I made an image of my W8, then recovered my W7 image, extracted all drivers using DoubleDriver. Then recovered my W8 image and did a restore for the SSAG drivers on W8. All drivers were successfully recovered but the SSAG still won't connect. Windows keeps giving a device did not install properly each time I plug it in

The SSAG and the SX Filter Wheel are the only 2 devices not working for me. I'm now contemplating using Hyper-V with W7 (or XP even) on my W8 laptop for my astro stuff

The other alternative for the FW is to purchase the ATIK unit (to pair with my 460EXM) and forgo the SX Filter Wheel. But this won't fix my SSAG issue

I only use the SSAG when I go offsite, grab and go. I can somewhat live without the SSAG given I mainly use the Lodestar at home but I can't use my 460EXM efficiently without a filter wheel.

Drivers, drivers...

Guylain

waassaabee
Postmaster

#5592423 - 12/28/12 10:42 AM

Guylain, I feel your pain! Getting some of the astro gear connected can be a real headache, then getting it all playing together nicely can be troublesome too. You said you uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, but did you insure the registry entries were removed? I found that running CCleaner after uninstalling revealed the registry entries were still there. After 'Fixing' those entries and doing a clean install is where I had my best luck.
Has SX been able to provide any input for getting the FW to work?

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#5592472 - 12/28/12 11:08 AM

Quote:

Guylain, I feel your pain! Getting some of the astro gear connected can be a real headache, then getting it all playing together nicely can be troublesome too. You said you uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, but did you insure the registry entries were removed? I found that running CCleaner after uninstalling revealed the registry entries were still there. After 'Fixing' those entries and doing a clean install is where I had my best luck.
Has SX been able to provide any input for getting the FW to work?

Thanks Gary,

I did not clean the registry. Will try that this weekend.

Regards,

Guylain

SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/14/09

Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy...
      #5593096 - 12/28/12 06:34 PM

Why not just ditch W8? For all my asto related stuff I'm still using XP, little or no hassles.

waassaabee
Postmaster

Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: SKYGZR]
      #5593342 - 12/28/12 09:00 PM

Quote:

Why not just ditch W8? For all my asto related stuff I'm still using XP, little or no hassles.

I have stuck to this mantra for years until a few weeks ago when I came by a newer 17" Win7 laptop by default. I now believe that Win7 is the new XP. Win8... the vote is still out. But 7 is fine in my book.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#5593622 - 12/29/12 12:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have stuck to this mantra for years until a few weeks ago when I came by a newer 17" Win7 laptop by default. I now believe that Win7 is the new XP. Win8... the vote is still out. But 7 is fine in my book.

My astro laptop is an ASUS G75V quad core with 16GB ram... it can take W8 and a few VMs running W7 and/or XP. I'm not a big fan of running a VM but I may have no choice

I hope I'll have better luck over the weekend trying to make the SSAG and SX Filter Wheel working on W8.

Thanks for all the input.

Guylain

mmalik
Postmaster

#5593810 - 12/29/12 05:14 AM

Quote:

I hope I'll have better luck over the weekend trying to make the SSAG and SX Filter Wheel working on W8.

For a POC (proof of concept) and establishing a baseline, I would suggest first trying on a “clean” install of Windows 7 (NOT a VM) unless you have tried it already. Once you have a working model on Windows 7, going onto Windows 8 and trying the same setup/drivers would be advisable.

One option would be if you can dedicate a Windows 7 PC as a sandbox that you could re-image at will (assuming you would have a clean image ready to go) for each new test; if all goes well then repeating the same setup in Windows 8.

If separate PC is not an option, dual booting into Windows 7 and 8 will be even better option. Even with dual/multi boot systems, Windows imaging comes in handy; Windows can image all partitions and/or dual/multi boot systems. I employ re-imaging approach for everything, not just drivers/devices. I can provide you more details if you like.

In short what imaging buys you is a way to revert back to your last-known-good setup without having to worry about cleaning registry and other areas on a failed attempt. You seem to be well versed in OS imaging, exploit imaging to test first in Windows 7, get it working in Windows 7, and then go on to Windows 8 on a dual boot system; on a failed attempt start all over again without worrying about the cleanup. Fall back image/s don’t have to be just the OSs, it/they can be a composite of all known-good/’successfully tested’ apps/devices. Thx

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#5596845 - 12/30/12 07:56 PM

Well… a weekend nightmare for me

The SSAG and SX Filter Wheel will simply not work on my ASUS G75V Laptop with W8. The funny thing is that it all works on my W8 desktop… but not my laptop which I use for imaging

1) I did a fresh install of W8, not an upgrade, a full fresh install.
2) Installed the SSAG 64 bit drivers and device shows as unknown device.
3) Plugged the SX FW and it comes up as HID unknown device too.
4) Did a full image of that fresh W8 disk just in case
5) Installed a fresh W7 Ultimate, not an upgrade, a full fresh install.
6) Installed the SSAG 64 bit drivers and device is immediately found and it works A+
7) Plugged the SX FW and it works just fine… but not always. It works 9/10 the first it is connected after a reboot. If I disconnect it and reconnect it will work 5/10 times. Do this a third time and the chances of it reconnection are 1/10. Once the SX FW does not connect at least one time I MUST REBOOT otherwise it will NEVER reconnect. Once I reboot the cycle starts over and I have a 9/10 chance it will connect the first time.
8) Did a full image of that fresh W7 disk.
9) Exported the working W7 drivers using Double Drivers.
10) Restored the W8 image from above.
11) Restored the working W7 drivers obtained with Double Drivers.
12) Connected the SSAG on W8 with the DD drivers exported from W7. Still does not work.
13) Connected the SX FW on W8 with the DD drivers exported from W7. Still does not work.
14) Did a fresh install of W8 32 bits to see if it would work in 32 bits versus 63 bits. Still no luck.
15) Restored the W8 image and installed Virtual Box with W7. W7 inside the VM did not work… felt a bit stupid here because the host OS was W8 and the VM OS was W7. Of course this would never work because the host OS needs to recognize the device in order to pass control to the VM OS.
16) Restored W7 and re-installed ALL of my applications… 14 hours later I almost have a full functional W7 laptop again with all MS update.

EXTREMLY BUMMED OUT that I was not able to keep W8 on my laptop. One of the main reason I wanted W8 is because my eyes are not what they used to be when I was 20. I really liked the ability to keep the maximum resolution in W8 and still individually increase the font size of menus, titles, etc. For me this flexibility is worth a lot, I feel my eyes are not as tired after a long day in front of the PC.

My future plans… the SX FW has got to go. In W8 it does not work and in W7 it is flaky at best; though it does connect 9/10 times on W7 after a reboot this is simply not acceptable to me. I will be placing an order for the ATIK EFW2 this week. As for the SSAG I only use it in the summer time as my grab and go guide cam. I will also be replacing the SSAG with either another Lodestar or the SBIG guide cam. W8 will only come back on my trusty ASUS G75V laptop once I have replaced these 2 devices. This means I have to use a lower resolution (text a bit fuzzier but bigger fonts) or use an on-screen magnifying glass

Thank you for all your help,

Guylain

mmalik
Postmaster

#5596967 - 12/30/12 09:41 PM

First and foremost, I would be happy with Windows 7 if all works well. Windows 7 is a great platform for ‘production’ work. With that said, while you have a working platform in Win 7, keep working on Win 8 troubleshooting.

Here are some suggestions regarding testing on Windows 8:
• Don’t use Double Drivers; instead see if you can locate where the drivers are located after the install or where they get expanded. Try updating the drives manually in Win 8 by right-clicking on the ‘unknown device’ and pointing to the folder where the drivers are located or where they get expanded.

• In case you can’t find the correct location of drivers in Win 8, try copying the installed/expanded drivers from Win 7 (that’s if you know where they are located or get expanded in Win 7) and then repeating the manual ‘unknown device’ discovery process in Win 8. I am quite sure drivers will work in Win 8 if you point the ‘unknown device’ to the correct location of the drivers.

• If you are using USB 3.0 hardware ports, try connecting the device/s to the USB 2.0 port if one is available on your laptop. I have seen some devices/apps will not work on USB 3.0 ports, e.g., PHD is one example in my case.

For setting up your test platform on Win 8, here are my thoughts:
• Clean install of Win 7. When doing clean install, don’t dedicate entire hard drive to Win 7; leave some space for other partitions to be used by Win 8 (described below).

• Install/configure all your apps/devices in pristine condition in Win 7, including all the MS updates.

• Install Win 8 'OS ONLY' on the next available partition.

• DO NOT install any drivers/apps in Win 8 yet; create a pristine image of dual boot of Win7 and Win 8 at this time; remember to include the partition that Win 8 resides on in the image.

• At this point you would have a fully functional/configured Win 7 and just base OS Win 8.

• Now you are all set to try testing new drivers/devices in Win 8. Any time you have an issue, just re-image and you’ll be back to a fully functional Win 7 and clean Win 8 base (OS) for another round of testing.

Hope this helps. Dual/multi boot setup of my system here.... Thx

SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/14/09

Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy...
      #5597294 - 12/31/12 01:51 AM

I still believe that XP32 is possibly the best OS for Astro use (Capture/Control/Mount Connect, etc...) I am using W7-64 Home, Quad Core, 7GB Ram on the main "in house" image processing 'puter, and it is a better platform for that environment. I have "all the guts" to build a 6 Core W7-64 Prof, yet have not yet.

My laptops for the field (w/exception of (1) older unit w/ W2K), and the dedicated Obsv 'puter all run XP32, and they're pretty much problem free.

I like W7, yet not for Asto related, and in no "hurry" to complicate things going to W8.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: SKYGZR]
      #5600263 - 01/01/13 08:19 PM

I just came back indoors after a very frustrating night. First clear night in about 2 months and my SX filter wheel was not cooperating in W7.

The wheel would connect and went through it's initialization sequence by making a full cycle. It usually stops at the 1st filter position once it's done... but this time it would never stop turning. I just sent an email to Starlight hoping I'll get a response.

In the meantime however I have not wasted any time, I have just places an order for the Atik EFW2 from OptCorp.

I'm still hoping that Starlight eXpress will do something given it's only 7 months old and still under warranty.

Guylain

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#5662621 - 02/04/13 10:25 PM

I finally got the SX Fitler Whell back from Terry in the UK. He has updated the PCB board firmware and now the FW works fine on both W7 and W8. WooHoo.

Now to the SSAG... it still won't connect. Windows 8 simply does not recognize the SSAG.

Anybody else with this issue?

Guylain

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
      #5662763 - 02/05/13 12:36 AM

Maybe try viewing the VID/PID of the "unknown device" to see if Win 8 is getting the correct info?

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: zerro1]
      #5662805 - 02/05/13 01:15 AM

VID and PID are not properly identified. The following is from the unknown device driver.

Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\5&87d8f66&0&1 had a problem starting.

The one in the ssag.inf is VID_1856&PID_0011 & VID_1856&PID_0012

Thank you for your help,

Guylain

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
      #5662829 - 02/05/13 01:50 AM

The QHY forum could be of help. The proprietor and chief designer of is very friendly and responsive guy. The SSAG is a partially disabled QHY5 as you might know.

Ajay

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5225

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics