Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
rilke

Reged: 12/25/06

Loc: Evanston, IL
Dumbest of Questions regarding new NexStar 8se
      #5591170 - 12/27/12 01:00 PM

OK, I hope this question isn't so dumb that I get my CN forum account yanked for stupidity... but...

I got the NexStar 8se for Xmas and put it together, but I want to make sure that I have attached the OTA correctly on the arm.

So, the side of the OTA has a metal strip, where the Celestron NexStar 8se logo is. That goes into the "clamp" on the arm. (The setup instructions seem to assume that the OTA is already on the arm when you get it, but they were packed in separate boxes.)

I just held the OTA against the arm with the metal strip facing the arm and turned the "quick release" knob until it tightened around the strip. I sort of expected there to be some kind of notch or groove or indicator of where you tighten it down so the OTA is balanced on the arm, but I'm not seeing anything. Looking at photos of the assembled 8se, It looks like the whole logo should be visable, but even looking at different photos, I see the OTAs are slid into slightly different positions?

Does this matter? Is there a sweet spot for balance so it doesn't stress the motors?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Dumbest of Questions regarding new NexStar 8se new [Re: rilke]
      #5591179 - 12/27/12 01:06 PM

The best spot depends on what extra like cameras,finders,autoguiders,big eyepieces and diagonals you attach to the scope tube-older Nexstars had no adjustment.

Just loosen the clamp slightly and move the tube to where it feels least wanting to tip either way.Be very careful not to loosen too much and drop the tube!

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5591202 - 12/27/12 01:22 PM

Hi rilke,

There are no dumb questions on this forum.

First, to balance the OTA, place it on a round pencil or similar and roll it back and forth until you find the balance point. Mark the point on the dovetail bar (your "metal strip") and transfer it onto the OTA so its above the white mark on the top of the arm. This is the mark with which you align the OTA's balance point. When fitting the OTA into the clamp, make sure the quick release knob is under the OTA and that the OTA is on the right of the arm looking from the rear. With your diagonal and eyepiece in place, set the OTA slightly forward (towards the front) of your mark, say quarter of an inch. This will make the scope slighly back end heavy which is its best operating position. Check that you have clearance between the base and the diagonal when pointing the scope at zenith and away you go.

Regards. Peter.

rilke

Re: Dumbest of Questions regarding new NexStar 8se new [Re: Peter9]
      #5591827 - 12/27/12 09:06 PM

Thank you both. I will figure out where the balance point is and work from there!

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5592146 - 12/28/12 04:44 AM

Hi Rilke,

Perhaps the attached link may additionally help you with the balancing, set up and initial alignment of your new 8SE ?

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5417848/page...

Read all by all means but in particular you may find entry:#5421776 dated 09-14-12 11:47PM of particular interest when preparing to set up your 'scope. (?)

Best regards,
Tel

rilke

Re: Dumbest of Questions regarding new NexStar 8se new [Re: Tel]
      #5592713 - 12/28/12 01:40 PM

Thanks, Tel! I will check that out!

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
      #5592887 - 12/28/12 03:45 PM

Remember that these scopes work best when not balanced...it can be either front or rear end heavy it makes no differences..Just set your got approach
to positive in alt IF back end heavy and Negative if front end heavy...

Only dumb question I have ever seen on any forum was what color should paint my OTA ... I suggested pink ... BUT added who cares except you

Clear Skies
Bob G

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5593101 - 12/28/12 06:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Tel! I will check that out!

I hope it helps Rilke. If however you need any further clarification, please let me know.

Best regards,
Tel

butsam

Reged: 12/28/12

Loc: Ohio
Re: Dumbest of Questions regarding new NexStar 8se new [Re: Tel]
      #5593121 - 12/28/12 06:48 PM

Not a dumb question! I actually just got a NexStar 8SE and in registration, I posted a suggestion that they mention how to mount the OTA instead of assuming it was already on the fork arm. It wasn't difficult, but I did question whether I was doing it right...and ultimately used the picture showing the mounting close to but not overlapping the start of the logo as the determining factor, as it sounds like you did.

So, not a dumb question...at least, you weren't the only one wishing they mentioned this in the setup!

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Dumbest of Questions regarding new NexStar 8se new [Re: butsam]
      #5593207 - 12/28/12 07:37 PM

On the subject of attaching the ota to the mount arm...care should be taken that the dovetail on the optical tube has properly engaged the dovetail clamp on the mount.

There isn't a lot of feedback or "feel" when attempting this procedure and it's rather easy to clamp the dovetail partially or even miss it entirely!

Having your chest against the back of the mount and one arm hugging the ota to the mount can help prevent a mishap when you do miss the proper connection.

This has saved my bacon quite a few times.

IMO there are some dumb questions asked around these parts from time to time and some of my answers have have been worse than my questions!

Your question is exactly what the new owner of a Nexstar should be asking.

Edited by herrointment (12/28/12 07:49 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 809

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics