Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1
hytham
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/25/12

Loc: Canadian in the US
Is it worth it - DSLR to CGEM DX Mount?
      #5591189 - 12/27/12 01:14 PM

This would seem to be an easy thing to answer, but having such a hard time coming to a conclusion and would like some input from all of you to push me in the right direction

I'm in the market to purchase a FSQ 106EDXIII for some wide field astrophotography (assuming this weather ever clears up), but one other burning question I have is: Is it worth also purchasing all the necessary adapters to connect my DSLR and 9x50 autoguiding to my CGEM DX mount? I'd rather not piggy back to my telescope to minimize the amount of equipment that I would drag along.

So... do I simply go with the FSQ-106EDXIII, and stitch together mosaics saving myself the cash of the ADM adapters ($510) and the Canon Lens (~$1000)? Or do I invest in the Canon set up as well to have the extremely wide field and minimize the time necessary for a wide field result? I do see myself eventually attaching the Canon Lenses to a CCD for LRGB and/or narrowband work.

Some math:

t3i pixel 4.3 microns
t3i cmos array 5184 x 3456
takahashi 530mm FL (native)
takahashi resolving 1.09 arc seconds
canon 2.8L 135mm FL

Canon T3i with 135mm FL Lens:
6.57 asec/pixel
567.65 x 378.43 (arcmin) = 9.46 x 6.31 (degrees)

Takahashi FSQ-EDXIII with T3i
1.67 asec/pixel
144.29 x 96.19 (arcmin) = 2.40 x 1.60 (degrees)

Thank you for the thoughts!

-Hytham

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Is it worth it - DSLR to CGEM DX Mount? new [Re: hytham]
      #5591283 - 12/27/12 02:42 PM

I'm not sure what you are asking. How would you take the individual mosaic frames without auto-guiding? Or are you asking if you can go without auto-guiding?

You are talking about a $5k scope. Spend the $500 on a proper guiding setup and get the most out of it.

I'm not sure where you are going with the DSLR lens. Personally, I'd hold off on that. Get your Tak under the stars and use it.

hytham
Pooh-Bah

Re: Is it worth it - DSLR to CGEM DX Mount? new [Re: Footbag]
      #5591421 - 12/27/12 04:08 PM

Sorry. I was wondering whether or not in addition to purchasing a Tak, whether the investment into additional accessories to attach a DSLR directly on to the CGEM DX mount is a worthwhile investment.

I'm wondering if I'm simply throwing money away at this point by purchasing both a Tak and equipping my DSLR for wide field work.

Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
      #5591445 - 12/27/12 04:36 PM

I'd get the Tak going first. Eventually, you will get the bug for some more optics, but for now use what you have.

That said, it seems like you should be able to attach the DSLR for less then $500. You could piggyback it with rings for $169. Without rings for $25, but I'm not sure if the tripod mount can hold the 135mm lens. I wouldn't expect a dovetail mount to be much more then $150.

Hikari
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/11

Loc: Maine, USA
Re: Is it worth it - DSLR to CGEM DX Mount? new [Re: Footbag]
      #5591461 - 12/27/12 04:46 PM

I think you answered your own question. You seem hesitant in purchasing the other stuff. Save your money for when you do know what you want to do with it.

hytham
Pooh-Bah

Re: Is it worth it - DSLR to CGEM DX Mount? new [Re: Hikari]
      #5591473 - 12/27/12 05:03 PM

Quote:

I think you answered your own question. You seem hesitant in purchasing the other stuff. Save your money for when you do know what you want to do with it.

My thoughts to have the DSLR set up is to have a quick grab and go especially in the winters of Minnesota. Quick set up, and quick tear down was the goal, but with the Tak, I *think* I could pull that off with a DSLR mounted to it (in the beginning ... CCD later).

With AP the learning curve is so large that I should be taking my time, but the excitement to grow quickly and have multiple set ups is really appealing.

Hikari
scholastic sledgehammer

#5591501 - 12/27/12 05:23 PM

I find that the "grab and go" is never that easy. It seems like a great idea, but if you don't have the time for an astrophotography session, then an "quick" setup does not actually matter.

Besides, if you really want a quick wide-field portable mount--GEMS are a pain to carry--you may want to get an AstroTrac, Vixen Polarie, or maybe the new iOptron Skytracker for that type of thing.

Hikari
scholastic sledgehammer

#5591505 - 12/27/12 05:26 PM

One other thought. I see folks entering photography and they get caught up buying the stuff. They can end up with a lot of gear that is never used because their photographic interests simply never went in that direction. It seem you have a great place to start. I would get a little experience under your belt so you can evaluate the next move.

hytham
Pooh-Bah

#5591636 - 12/27/12 07:08 PM

You bring up some great points that were nothing more than a fleeting thought, but that was me trying to suppress the logical/objective adult side of my mind and try to run with the kid in a candy store, emotional reactive decision making instead.

You guys are both right. I need to settle down and focus and then later I can always evolve into another aspect of the hobby. I am definitely sure about astrophotography as it has been an interest since I was a kid and now that I'm financially capable, I want it all and NOW

Looks like the Tak with a modified DSLR to start and then move into CCD with LRGB and narrowband.

More thoughts always welcome and thank you!

snowcrow
sage

Reged: 10/21/12

Loc: Vermont
      #5591848 - 12/27/12 09:29 PM

Heres a grab-n-go setup for a camera.

http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods/Equatorial-Mounts-Tripods/Orion-Adven...

nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
Re: Is it worth it - DSLR to CGEM DX Mount? new [Re: snowcrow]
      #5591926 - 12/27/12 10:48 PM

What about just getting the FSQ106, the reducer for it(which turns it into an F/3.6, 385mm scope!), and you have two scopes in one.
Better yet, also get the 1.6x extender for it, and you have THREE scopes(or focal lengths) in one..

That is MY ideal setup. Simple GEM. BRILLIANT FSQ106 and ATLEAST the reducer for the extra wide stuff.
The FSQ can handle MASSIVE sensors. even with the reducer it will handle 44mm(diagonal) sensors!

First and foremost...get the Tak. get the mount.
attach the DSLR and start having fun learning how to do the basics(polar alignments, guiding, etc)..
After that, my first investment would be modifying the camera..but my opinion may be a bit biased

Good luck!

hytham
Pooh-Bah

Re: Is it worth it - DSLR to CGEM DX Mount? new [Re: nofxrx]
      #5592110 - 12/28/12 02:53 AM

I also considered the reducer and was very surprised by its cost because it is 4.5x more expensive than the extender. I was not expecting that sort of difference.

I have taken pictures of two DSOs and of course they are the classic; Orion/Running Man and Andromeda with the Hyperstar3. I love the Hyperstar3, but I live in a red zone and I have always had a love for narrowband imaging

Brent, I'm sure I'll be bothering you about my mod(s) to my DSLRs. Looking at doing them myself and will need to order a few things.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
      #5592788 - 12/28/12 02:32 PM

Just wanted to say starting with a relatively 'fast', flat wide field scope is a great idea - that tak scope a great choice if you have the means.

If your weather is anything like mine (working on 100 cloudy nights in a row and 4th wettest year on record) dont buy anything faster than you can fully use/test and or evaluate. Pick ONE setup and make it work to it's best. It's possible, esp going with NB and the very long exposure times, you may find the "needed" gear different than you can anticipate now. The one thing that can save a lot of time and money is something you cannot buy, and that is patience. Not claiming I've any good way to go about being patient, and in my case- only more difficult after I started getting images. But it's getting images fully done (captured and processed to final version), repeatably, that will be the best teacher about what if anything needs to be next.

nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
      #5597346 - 12/31/12 03:15 AM

Quote:

I also considered the reducer and was very surprised by its cost because it is 4.5x more expensive than the extender. I was not expecting that sort of difference.

Yea, those prices are quite ridiculous..
I would start with 'just' the FSQ for now, and maybe add the extender down the road, and then MAYBE the reducer way down the road..
I think the FSQ is fine by itself/as-is..so just get it and start producing brilliant images!

Quote:

Brent, I'm sure I'll be bothering you about my mod(s) to my DSLRs. Looking at doing them myself and will need to order a few things.

Not a problem!! Always willing to help, even if that help is answering questions, helping others with their own mods, etc, etc...I do this because I love it.
You can try to PM me here, but I do not get on here every day, so strongly appreciate emails instead...I check emails all day, every day!
DSLR_HyperCams@yahoo.com

Cheers!

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1066

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics