Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: rmollise]
      #5813059 - 04/21/13 01:29 PM

My solution for cord wrap when I used a CPC-925 was to have a pair of 7 amp-hour batteries mounted on the upper assembly so they rotated with the scope. Since the Alt-Az mode would require counter weights for single scope mode it would be interesting to consider a battery support bracket and battery mounted on the counter weight bar. Don't currently own this mount but I may purchase one in the future for a modest tracking mount for public outreach.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JMW
Pooh-Bah

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: JMW]
      #5813082 - 04/21/13 01:41 PM

I just looked at some pictures of the mount in alt-az mode. It appears that a battery support bracket could be made to sit directly of the top of the mount assembly so it was centered over the tripod. This would allow it to be used in dual scope mode. I think could fashion a bracket to support a 35 amp-hour battery on top.

I currently use a DM6 for alt-az and keep a small 12 volt AGM battery on the top of the mount to keep my Argo Navis going in the cold weather.

I would love this mount to be able to support my C11 Edge on one side and a SV115T on the other. I would use an ADM Max Guider to align the refractor with the SCT. Would be a great combo for public outreach. I think a C925 and a 102 refractor would be more in line with the capacities of the mount.

johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: JMW]
      #5814708 - 04/22/13 07:14 AM

I would think a 35 amp-hour battery would be a little heavy to put on top of the mount.

JohnD

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: johnpd]
      #5815692 - 04/22/13 04:55 PM

The 35 amp-hour AGM battery weighs about 23 pounds and it would be directly over the center of the tripod. A 22 amp-hour battery weighs 13.5 pounds, 18 amp-hours would be about 11.5 pounds. I think a 18 amp-hour battery would be plenty for just the mount. The UB12180 has dimensions of 7x6.5x3 inches and costs about $37. I think this is a size that could be bracketed directly above the mount.

I own a pair of 3, 7 and 35 amp-hour batteries. I use the smaller ones for my digital setting circle computers. The larger ones to power goto mounts.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8163

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics