Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/28/10

Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: martl]
      #5717796 - 03/07/13 06:55 AM

Thank you Martin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bartg
journeyman

Reged: 03/21/09

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: Mike X.]
      #5721618 - 03/09/13 04:23 AM

Would it be possible to use a 16 inch telescope (weight:50 pound, tube length:63 inches) in AZ mode, only for visual use with this mount? Could the length of the tube be a problem?

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: bartg]
      #5721657 - 03/09/13 05:36 AM

Oh for heavens sake, please get real.

bartg
journeyman

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5721702 - 03/09/13 07:16 AM

Ok that's a quick and direct answer but please explain me why my question is not 'real'. :-) Here I see a 12 inch telescope (this one) of about the same weight with a 8 inch shorter tube on a lighter equatorial mount , meant for astrophotography so more top heavy because of camera/guidescope.
So I don't see what I am missing.
Thanks

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#5722214 - 03/09/13 12:28 PM

The az eq6 is rated at 44lbs load

The 16" is not only too heavy but it is so long that vibrations would be bad and it would hit the tripod as u near zenith.

martl
sage

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Innsbruck/Austria
      #5722582 - 03/09/13 04:20 PM

Don't think that you should try this. You need about the same amount of counterweights and need to have a pier because the tripod legs are in the way. I could imagine that a lightweight 12"f4 would work.

CS
Martin

bartg
journeyman

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: martl]
      #5723353 - 03/10/13 04:06 AM

ok thanks for the useful comments.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5723990 - 03/10/13 02:06 PM

One sure way to be unhappy with a new mount in this category is to buy it with the biggest scope offered on it. At best it might make a reasonable visual combination, at worst it will be useless. What you are looking to mount is even larger and heavier and would be even more ill advised. That is not to say that it can never be done, but the frustration level will be high, you could expect to need to tune the mount (even a new one) to the highest degree, and even the slightest breeze would drive you crazy. While catastrophic failure is generally unlikely, it would need to be considered when clearly overloading a mount, particularly a mount that has not been out for a while with people pushing its limits to see what happens. For example, it would be safer to push a standard Atlas mounts up to an past it limits than the new, mostly untested, AZ-EQ6 simply because at least some people have been doing that for a while with the Atlas already.

johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: johnpd]
      #5776967 - 04/04/13 02:36 AM

I had a serious cord wrap issue with the mount this evening. I thought it had anti-wrap built in and I have seen it move in the other direction even though it might have been a short distance from one object to another. I am not sure what was going on but the power cord wrapped around at least once. In Alt-Az Mode when you start a two star alignment and manually move the scope to the first star from the Alt-Az Home position (Alt=0, Az=0), does it matter which direction in Az you move the scope? Does it depend on which side of the meridian the star is located? I thought I read somewhere that you should move the scope clockwise to the star. I am using firmware v3.32.

JohnD

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
      #5784058 - 04/07/13 03:23 PM

John

I am still using V3.32 on my mount. With that said, I finally got to use it the last two nights at a private star party about an hour from home where the SQM reading last night was 21.15. I still have to convert that to limiting magnitude, but the skies were dark.

The mount was set up in alt-az mode and I had my Celestron 9.25 OTA mounted on it. I was using my MallinCam Xtreme to observe targets. Although the hand controller and power supply cable did wrap around the mount head a little, the mount did not continue to wrap enough to cause issues. I started off the the connections on the south side of the mount and thoughtful the night, the mount would reverse direction rather than cause a cord wrap problem.

Regarding the mount itself, it performed better than anticipated. I was able to go up to 2 minutes non-guided in alt-az with nice, non-trailed images seen on the monitor. I never would have thought it possible to do 2 minute alt-az. The mount was rock steady with the C9.25.

I look forward to further testing.

Jack Huerkamp

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5784476 - 04/07/13 06:24 PM

Jack

Put a SSI in that Celestron on the az eq6 in altaz and have a look at Saturn in some good seeing.

Vagus

Reged: 04/02/11

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: HowardK]
      #5784728 - 04/07/13 08:36 PM

How is the stock tripod with this mount? Any issues? Is it stable enough for astrophoto? I am considering this mount for a portable setup but just wondering if the tripod will need an upgrade. I heard that the locking bolts on the legs don't hold well under load.
Thanks,
J

Thanks,

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: Vagus]
      #5784915 - 04/07/13 10:16 PM

The tripod on the AZ-EQ6 is identical to that of the EQ6.

johnpd
sage

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5785425 - 04/08/13 08:28 AM

Hi Jack,

Yes if the mount is set up in Az Home position, the scope would be pointing north and would be on the east side of the mount and the connections would be on the south side. It normally starts the 2-star alignment with Sirius. I have been rotating the mount clockwise to Sirius which now is west of the meridian in the early evening. So the scope (and cables) would rotate over 200 degrees. The next alignment star it gave me was Arcturus which was at an azimuth of about 70 degrees. I don't recall which way it went to get there. I thought it went back the way it came. I will have to play with it inside and see what it is doing. I have turned off the auxiliary encoders. I wonder if that has any effect?

I had my Xtreme hooked up to my AZ EQ6 Saturday night and I ran some images over a minute. I saw some trailing on mine. It might depend on how close to the Celestial Equator you are imaging.

JohnD

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5786816 - 04/08/13 08:46 PM

I added the TPI spreader bars and aluminum tray to my AZ-EQ6, and it really stiffens up the entire tripod.

Jack

johnpd
sage

#5787471 - 04/09/13 06:50 AM

I did some playing with the mount Monday and noticed that as I picked objects that were to the right of the current object, it would continue to rotate clockwise, so I see how the cord get badly wrapped.

1. Initial alignment star was Sirius (Az=218). Manually rotated clockwise to Sirius.
2. Chose Arcturus (Az=79) as the second alignment star. Mount automatically slew counter-clockwise to it.
3. Chose M42 (Az=242) as the 1st object. Mount slewed clockwise to it.
4. Chose M1 (Az=271) as the next object. Mount slewed clockwise again.
5. Chose M81 (Az=7) as the next object. Mount slewed clockwise again. Since this is on the other side of the meridian, you might think it might have moved counter-clockwise to it.
6. Chose M101 (Az=42) as the next object. Mount slewed clockwise again.
7. Chose NGC 4565 (Az=83) as the next object. Mount slewed clockwise again.
8. Went back to M42. Mount slewed clockwise again.

By now the cord had pretty well wrapped around a few times. I don't know how to correct this. As I mentioned, there is no setting of which I am aware that will turn anti-wrap on or off.

JohnD

adumbleton

Reged: 04/01/13

#5810704 - 04/20/13 11:53 AM

Might the anti-wrap feature be applicable to EQ mode only?

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: adumbleton]
      #5811743 - 04/20/13 08:48 PM

Quote:

Might the anti-wrap feature be applicable to EQ mode only?

There is no anti wrap feature

adumbleton

Reged: 04/01/13

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: HowardK]
      #5812427 - 04/21/13 07:16 AM

Agreed. Scanned the manuals today and no mention of it.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: adumbleton]
      #5812834 - 04/21/13 11:30 AM

Anti-cord-wrap is rarely needed or present for equatorial mounts. I've suffered through cord wrap on alt-az mounts or alt-az mode on mounts for a long time. My conclusion? Best bet is keep an eye on the scope when you make big moves across the sky. If it's obvious the mount will move in a direction that will wrap cables, either slew manually or automatically to a position where that won't occur when you go to the target object.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
24 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8200

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics