Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
David-in-China

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Fujian Province, P.R. China
ES 127 CF Apo is very tempting
      #5592173 - 12/28/12 06:10 AM

It was planned for 6-8 months from now, but the $1995 price
has me thinking. 2013 plans included a 9.25 Celestron Edge and Star Watcher's HEDQ-5.

Anyone else with similar thoughts? Start the program now
or wait?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: ES 127 CF Apo is very tempting new [Re: David-in-China]
      #5592449 - 12/28/12 10:56 AM

Life is short and uncertain. Go for it, I say!

- Jim

oo_void
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/13/09

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: ES 127 CF Apo is very tempting new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5592509 - 12/28/12 11:26 AM

The good, I love mine ... I am now completely in remission when it comes to aperture fever . As long as you have the mount for it (CGEM / Atlas class), go for it. For comparisons, the guy with the 16" Dob in my club (yeah one of those guys), was really impressed. At our "dark", urban site, the views were pretty close with the ES127 giving a bit better contrast.

The bad, the ES127 is not for those who also suffer from "upgraditis". I ended up replacing the the focuser with a Moonlite and the rail with a Losmandy D style plate. Tempted to still put better rings on it also.

Edited by oo_void (12/28/12 11:32 AM)

morrisng2

Reged: 12/14/11

#5593003 - 12/28/12 05:35 PM

Who has it for $1995? I am jumping on it please let me know!

AlienRatDog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/15/05

Loc: Ann Arbor
Re: ES 127 CF Apo is very tempting new [Re: morrisng2]
      #5593131 - 12/28/12 06:52 PM

Go for it, I uses to have one (I miss it dearly) on a cg5 mount with no problems...

David-in-China

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Fujian Province, P.R. China
      #5593336 - 12/28/12 08:56 PM

Try this:
http://telescopes.net/store/ted127075-cf-carbon-fiber-ed127-f-7-5-air-spaced-...

morrisng2

Reged: 12/14/11

#5593694 - 12/29/12 01:12 AM

Thanks! Just took the dive and order one:)

dr.who
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/12

#5611957 - 01/08/13 01:29 PM

I use it on my CG5 all the time and love it! For example I wasn't planning on doing any observing last night (work night) but at 8:30 pm I saw that there was a break in the clouds so I popped open the garage, took out the CG5, mounted up the 127mm and was observing. Total time from decision to looking at something was 10 minutes.

Sadly I lost track of time and ended up observing for the next two hours which meant that by the time I came down off the "high" from observing, cleaned up, handled a bit of misc. honey-do's etc I only got about 4 hours of sleep!

I was using a 11mm ES 82* to look at the Orion nebula and was amazed at the level of detail on the cloud (this was the first time I looked at Orion in it). It was crystal clear with great contrast.

The one thing I recommend (if you use it on a CG5 or it's analog) is to get the pier extension from Orion. It will allow you to keep the legs retracted on the tripod and not have to lay on the ground to see something near zenith. It also stops the OTA from hitting the tripod legs. Well worth the cost.

Mike Wiles
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: Goodyear, AZ
Re: ES 127 CF Apo is very tempting new [Re: oo_void]
      #5611994 - 01/08/13 01:54 PM

Quote:

The bad, the ES127 is not for those who also suffer from "upgraditis". I ended up replacing the the focuser with a Moonlite and the rail with a Losmandy D style plate. Tempted to still put better rings on it also.

It's a very, very nice telescope. I have used mine visually and it's a very impressive scope. It's my main imaging scope and I've been very happy with it for the money invested. I also added a motorized Moonlite focuser, Losmandy rail and Parallax rings. I added the motorized Moonlite so I could automate the entire imaging process including focusing the telescop. Even with all those upgrades I'm imaging with a 5" triplet that does a really nice job for less than $3000.

Some images taken with the scope:

Melotte 15 narrowband
Abell 85 - Supernova remnant in Cassiopeia

I wrote my own review on the scope awhile back: http://mike-wiles.blogspot.com/2012/11/test-report-explore-scientific-ed127.html

I understand that the newest production version of the scope actually addresses the handful of complaints that I have about it in the review. I bought mine as well for $1995 back when they were still at the introductory price. I've not regretted a penny of that money spent.

Mike

dvb
different Syndrome.

Reged: 06/18/05

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Re: ES 127 CF Apo is very tempting new [Re: Mike Wiles]
      #5612419 - 01/08/13 06:07 PM

How long does it take to cool down?

EdTheEdge
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/10/09

Loc: Lomita, CA
      #5612691 - 01/08/13 08:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's a very, very nice telescope. I have used mine visually and it's a very impressive scope. It's my main imaging scope and I've been very happy with it for the money invested. I also added a motorized Moonlite focuser, Losmandy rail and Parallax rings. I added the motorized Moonlite so I could automate the entire imaging process including focusing the telescop. Even with all those upgrades I'm imaging with a 5" triplet that does a really nice job for less than $3000.

Some images taken with the scope:

Melotte 15 narrowband
Abell 85 - Supernova remnant in Cassiopeia

I wrote my own review on the scope awhile back: http://mike-wiles.blogspot.com/2012/11/test-report-explore-scientific-ed127.html

I understand that the newest production version of the scope actually addresses the handful of complaints that I have about it in the review. I bought mine as well for $1995 back when they were still at the introductory price. I've not regretted a penny of that money spent.

Mike

Those are amazing images!!!!

dlpville

Reged: 07/09/07

#5612861 - 01/08/13 10:52 PM

I'm very impressed with the images, especially the image of Melotte 15. This level of detail with what is considered a "budget" scope shows what can be done when one understands the equipment.

Keep up the great work,
davel

Mike Wiles
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: Goodyear, AZ
Re: ES 127 CF Apo is very tempting new [Re: dlpville]
      #5613025 - 01/09/13 12:58 AM

Davel & Ed,

Thanks for the compliments on my images. I give all of the credit to the telescope. The ED127 is a supremely underrated telescope.

Mike

dr.who
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: ES 127 CF Apo is very tempting new [Re: dvb]
      #5615513 - 01/10/13 01:13 PM

Quote:

How long does it take to cool down?

For visual use? By the time you have finished setting up the mount/scope and 2 star plus 4 calibration star alignment (if you take as much time as I do which is 10-15 minutes) it is ready for use.

For AP not much longer than that based on my limited experience with it for that.

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Re: ES 127 CF Apo is very tempting new [Re: dr.who]
      #5615810 - 01/10/13 04:12 PM

Nice images; well done.

kevint1
sage

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: ES 127 CF Apo is very tempting new [Re: dvb]
      #5619134 - 01/12/13 02:05 PM

Cool down times are proportional to the temperature differential you need to address. When I was looking at the CF I found a comment by a gentleman in Ontario who said it took an hour or maybe more for his 127 CF to cool from the indoor temperature of his house to the outdoor temp in winter. These look like really nice scopes though.

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2134

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics