Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Solar Viewing with Binoviewer new
      #5589007 - 12/25/12 10:43 PM

Santaette was paying attention, and a Thousand Oaks Solar Filter showed up under the 1950s Vintage Aluminum Christmas Tree (the tree of the future!).

And first chance I had, I put on the filter, plugged in the Mark Vs, and pointed the whole thing at Sol.

I started with 17mm Hyperions, but it was boiling and I had to step back to 24mm.

Now I had a Solar Filter once before, and the view at first blush seemed similar to that of monovision views I had in the fast, but as I looked closer, I felt that I was seening a bit better structure around the bigger sunspots than I have in the past.

But most notably, and quite to my delight, the rest of the surface of the sun showed a surprising amount of granulatity.

Now again, I have viewed the sun many times though a C5 with a Solar filter in monovision, but never have I see such clear granularity!

As an experiment, I took off the Binoviewers and put a 1.25" eyepiece on, and plugged in a single eyepiece. I looked very carefully, and at the very very edge of detection, I felt that granulation was being hinted at, but it was not clear at all. Only the slightest hint.

Back to the Binoviewers and once again, unmistakeable granularity across most of the surface fading away towards the limbs. Not this granularity did not jump out at me. It was extremly subtle, but careful examination showed very faint, small cellular structure.

The sunspots were very small. One was very like a spot, but two of the four smaller spots arranged in a small cresent to one side of the round spot showed irregular shape, and the area arond them was quite detailed.

Back to monovision.. The sunspots were easy, but the structure around them was not nearly as well resolved.

My first time with binoviewers on the Sun, and I was impressed. Some of my best views of the sun in a C5.

Good to be seeing the sun again, and looking better than ever thanks to the binoviewers.

The more I use them, the more I am enjoying the Binos...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: Solar Viewing with Binoviewer new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5589830 - 12/26/12 02:19 PM

Was that at same/similar magnifications? Did you consider that the binos add about 20% to the focal length of an SCT. If so, pretty amazing difference.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Solar Viewing with Binoviewer new [Re: Fred1]
      #5589855 - 12/26/12 02:55 PM

I tried several magnifications both in Bino and Mono mode. The very faint granularity was hinted at but not clearly seen in monovision. Was faint but distinct in the binoviewrs at all similar powers.

The only variable was the 1.25" diagonal I used for monovision was not a premuim unit, but I honestly don't think it would make that much difference. But maybe.

Next time, I will slip in a 2" Televue Dielectric when doing the mono comparison.

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
      #5589973 - 12/26/12 04:49 PM

Considering that you were observing the Sun, I can imagine that the difference is far from subtle. Usually, the brighter the object the more immersive bino-viewing becomes. It's been quite a while since I did any solar observing with my own equipment. Perhaps I should get back to it.

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

Reged: 04/16/06

Loc: Utah
      #5591322 - 12/27/12 03:07 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

The only way to view the Sun!

Bill

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

Re: Solar Viewing with Binoviewer [Re: Eddgie]
      #5592624 - 12/28/12 12:43 PM

Ed, a quick suggestion: Use Buffy next time.

Jeff

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 766

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics