Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | >> (show all)
BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: aa6ww]
      #5725458 - 03/11/13 09:46 AM

Thank you, Ralph. - Bill in Flag

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Jeremy Perez]
      #5725480 - 03/11/13 09:59 AM

Quote:

Bill, I think you might have been parked just up the road from me--I think I recognize some of the trees in your photo!

Jeremy, were you set up near BASIS? I left home about 6:15 PM intending to drive to Buffalo Park but, as I approached the roundabout on Pine Cliff near BASIS, I had a nice, unobstructed view of the setting Sun off to my left. Knowing the comet was going to set at roughly the same spot on the horizon, I decided to park and set up for the show. Fortunately, that little loop road off Cedar doesn't get much traffic other than parents doing the drop-off/pick-up routine on school days, so I wasn't too concerned about parking and setting up in the middle of one of the turn lanes

So, were you in that area? I love your sketch of the view through the 15x70's. Don't know about the trees...they all look alike, to me

Bill

Hiroshi

Reged: 05/04/07

Loc: Tokyo Japan
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: BillFerris]
      #5725503 - 03/11/13 10:15 AM Attachment (37 downloads)

I could see it using 10x50 binoculars but it was not easy.

Jay

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Southern California
      #5725523 - 03/11/13 10:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Here is a 200mm shot at f8. Some obscene ISO.

Thanks for letting me post and post.

Jay

Good Job Jay!! You got it tonight!!

...Ralph

Yep, two nights in a row now. And in exactly the same 135mm frame you dismissed as impossibly too high, while others argued, impossibly too low due to atmospheric extinction calculations on the backs of their envelopes. I think we all can learn to keep an open mind to what others are saying rather than simply out shouting them. It's been an eye opener about the community here. I don't have many posts and I certainly have not been encouraged to share any more.

Good luck with your group here and elsewhere.

See ya FRIEND!

Jay

p.s. yes, hurry up and burry this post under something long winded and misinforming. Such a disservice done to the budding astronomer -- all in the name of our self important, artificially inflated egos.

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
      #5725573 - 03/11/13 10:53 AM

Quote:

And here's the closeups of yesterday compared to today's 20 second exposure (top) and 1.6 second exposure bottom.

And theres the answer to your mystery!!! Just look at the exposure length differences - 20 seconds and 1.6 seconds - and take a close look of the images again. The coma head of the comet in the 20 second exposure has been drawn out into a long line (by Earth's rotation) - making it look like a airplanes con trail. The 1.6 second image is easier to see its the comet as virtually no trailing has ocurred

That nails it now - two nights - two captures - excellent!

Its vitally important to give all technical details of your images - exposure times and focal length and image scale (in case you cropped the image) and if you were using a siderally tracked mount, or fixed tripod, the time the image was taken and the cardinal direction measured with a compass. It then makes it possible to correctly interpret the image

zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/07

Loc: Wells, Maine 04090
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Jay]
      #5725595 - 03/11/13 11:06 AM

Well Jay, I hope you hang in here at CN as I'm sure there are many more of us following this Thread with "open Minds" than not. If you listen carefully, the silence of the masses [Open Minders ] will likely drown out the handful of others. I admire your diligence

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Here is a 200mm shot at f8. Some obscene ISO.

Thanks for letting me post and post.

Jay

Good Job Jay!! You got it tonight!!

...Ralph

Yep, two nights in a row now. And in exactly the same 135mm frame you dismissed as impossibly too high, while others argued, impossibly too low due to atmospheric extinction calculations on the backs of their envelopes. I think we all can learn to keep an open mind to what others are saying rather than simply out shouting them. It's been an eye opener about the community here. I don't have many posts and I certainly have not been encouraged to share any more.

Good luck with your group here and elsewhere.

See ya FRIEND!

Jay

p.s. yes, hurry up and burry this post under something long winded and misinforming. Such a disservice done to the budding astronomer -- all in the name of our self important, artificially inflated egos.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5725609 - 03/11/13 11:14 AM

Very nice shot Bill. Its amazing what the higher altitude up there in Flagstaff does for sky conditions. Look at all that blue sky around the comet! I would move up to Flagstaff but I dislike cold weather.

stargazer424
sage

Reged: 10/03/05

Loc: Central NJ
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: zawijava]
      #5725619 - 03/11/13 11:22 AM

Awesome photos everyone!

I hope to see it here (in NJ) on Wednesday. Weather channel calls for clouds and rain tonight and tomorrow.

What the word on how fast it is dimming now that it passed its brightest? How long will it be visible to the naked eye?

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Hiroshi]
      #5725629 - 03/11/13 11:28 AM

Nice picture of the comet.

As comets go, this one is small seen visually. Looking through my 9X50 spotter scope the comet reminded me of a short sewing needle with a glint of "golden" sunlight off one side. Still it's very small.

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Hiroshi]
      #5725677 - 03/11/13 11:56 AM

Quote:

I could see it using 10x50 binoculars but it was not easy.

Its definitely a tough object to view in binoculars, especially smaller ones. This is actually one of the tougher comets Ive observed because theres just a small window to locate it and observe it every night, so its a real challenge for some, and does require dedication. In my opinion, this is not a small binocular object. If you just want to make a conformation, then no problem, but having seen it now under higher magnification, this comet really deserves 25x or more to really appreciate it.
As astronomers though, any opportunity to get out and use our gear is always fun!
Congratulations on finding it last night !

...Ralph

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
      #5725734 - 03/11/13 12:23 PM

What's the most northerly latitude someone has been able to spot the comet visually? I tried this past Friday with no luck. I'm at ~43.6N.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
      #5725740 - 03/11/13 12:26 PM

Quote:

And here's the closeups of yesterday compared to today's 20 second exposure (top) and 1.6 second exposure bottom.

Jay, excellent job. Not to beat a dead horse, here, but I find it rather dismaying how some have treated your first observation...some even seeming to refuse that it was in fact PanSTARRS, given the above comparison images. The pure definition of science is always to second guess data when first recorded. Only after repeated data is gathered can "factual" analysis begin. For that I can forgive the doubters...even if they failed to comprehend the technical explanations you initially offered regarding movement blur from a fixed telephoto lens and a long exposure. What saddens me is the sheer condescension accompanying a few posts in this thread. Putting it bluntly, in no way should anyone feel defensive about sharing their own observations with the rest of this community.

At any rate, to a more positive note, this is a fantastic series of observations you have gathered. I'm pleased that you were able to make proof with your pudding.

Jay

#5725772 - 03/11/13 12:42 PM

Wow, two thirds of all those negative, self important, expert, blowhard posts have simply vanished from this thread today. No more on and on about atmospheric extinction? No more "Starry Night Pro is wrong! You are wrong!"? No more, "well I have 30 years of blah blah blah"? Is that how it works around here? Say what you want regardless of facts then when proved wrong POOF! Wow. Way to back yourselves up there. Way to "man up."

It now looks like I am posting images and ideas then arguing with myself. Hilarious!

Thank God for the rest of you here! It looks like there actually was a lot of you gems mixed in with the chaff. More than I saw at first. I apologize for that and I was wrong to throw you all out with bath water. I WAS WRONG!

I still think I shall think twice before I post something here again that simply brought me joy (my goofy, stupid surprise personal discovery, crummy photograph). I didn't expect such from what I thought was a scientifically inclined group.

Again, thank you for those of you that remain.

Jay

And what a JERK I have become... so obsessed "defending" a stupid picture that I have not even commented on the wonderful pictures the rest of you have posted. I AM SORRY.

Jay

#5725780 - 03/11/13 12:45 PM

Oh my gosh, Bill, Tonk, Zawijava, Chopin, and others. Thank you!

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
      #5725907 - 03/11/13 01:52 PM

I think some people take this HOBBY too seriously. just enjoy the view.

aezoss

Reged: 03/27/11

Loc: The Great White North
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: tezster]
      #5725909 - 03/11/13 01:52 PM

So far unable to locate it at 51.04N with 9x63 binocs. My shots were over exposed, no help there.

The horizon is slightly obstructed by distant mountains from my location. Low cloud extending from 0 to 3 limited viewing the comet to when the sky was brightest for us. If the Stellarium data is correct the comet should have been near 622' at 19:53 MT. Probably still too bright to make it out. By the time the sky darkened enough it might have slipped behind the cloud at 20:10 MT.

A more experienced observer probably would have nailed it. No positives sent to our club mailing list yet. Hopefully someone's seen it here!

Lee

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

#5726048 - 03/11/13 03:02 PM

Quote:

Wow, two thirds of all those negative, self important, expert, blowhard posts have simply vanished from this thread today. No more on and on about atmospheric extinction? No more "Starry Night Pro is wrong! You are wrong!"? No more, "well I have 30 years of blah blah blah"? Is that how it works around here? Say what you want regardless of facts then when proved wrong POOF! Wow. Way to back yourselves up there. Way to "man up."

Jay

Jay, I invite you to take a look back at your own postings to this thread. Not one of the first SEVEN renditions of the image that you posted in several messages indicated anything but a relatively hard bright streak in the sky. There is no associated diffuseness apparent with that streak. There is no indications of any tail, or other comet-like feature. The fact that you note the exposure time, which might involve trailing of the image would not in and of itself immediately serve to verify that the streak was the indeed trailed condensation of the comet. Quite honestly, based on those first 7 images, no one familiar with actual imaging of comets would, or would be expected to, take them as those of Comet PanSTARRS. In fact, they were striking close to the appearance of so many others' images of jet contrails being posted to Internet sites supposedly as the comet too.

Not until you posted your EIGHTH rendition of your image, this for the first time processed to a degree that finally showed evidence of a trailing diffuseness that indicated the presence of the tail in the image was there anything about your shot that would warrant outside confirmation that it might be of Comet PanSTARRS.

So I wouldn't be too quick to pat yourself on the back that you were right all along and that your critics have slunk away in silence. As initially presented here, your image was so poorly rendered that no knowledgeable astro photographer would have accepted it at face value as being of PanSTARRS.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (03/11/13 03:05 PM)

Jay

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #5726056 - 03/11/13 03:07 PM

I see you are full of absolutes, 100 percents, and speak for all the knowledgeable astrophotographers. Your, imagined, expertise here that you constantly try to insert in so many posts here no longer have me fooled.

on edit: I don't like bullies. If you state your argument here, that's fine, just have the guts not to delete it if you are wrong.

Again, sorry for the bad photo.

Jay

Edited by Jay (03/11/13 03:23 PM)

Mike C
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/08

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #5726202 - 03/11/13 04:00 PM

Wow - enjoying the reports and photos, everyone!

Myself, I was caught offguard - it was supposed to clear up tomorrow, not tonight! My train (commuting) was 30 mins late, too, so by the time I disembarked and realised it was clear it was too late.

Anyway, the 7 x 50s are now in the work bag for tomorrow so I'll hopefully spot PanSTARRS either from the train or during my walk home from the station - if it stays clear!

Regards,

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
      #5726207 - 03/11/13 04:02 PM

Jay - on this occasion you have been given wise words by an eminant and highly regarded expert comet observer. There is something to learn.

You did right by persisting with your efforts to record your observations and succeding but throwing insults about at this stage is not very endearing especially when you are misunderstanding the intent

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41456

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics