Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | >> (show all)
Jay

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Southern California
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Tonk]
      #5726227 - 03/11/13 04:10 PM

Yes, I am handling this badly aren't I? I apologize for that. What I'd like to see are fewer absolutes in posts and more open minds. I'm starting to think that if posts were not delete-able then folks might write their comments in a more thoughtful way.

After waking up this morning and seeing so much criticism removed here, i snapped. Gotta walk away.

Sorry folks.

Jay

I guess, when I initially posted here I thought the conversation would go a different way. About how, sometimes, you can use a technology like photography to dig out details you might not have seen with your eyes in the field. I never got to explore that thought out and instead had to go into proof mode. I'm not cut out for forums i guess.

Edited by Jay (03/11/13 04:15 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
arellanon

Reged: 12/12/06

Loc: Alta y Baja California
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Tonk]
      #5726312 - 03/11/13 04:47 PM

I'll be observing from 35.632877,-117.671943; hopefully I can capture some good shots from this location. I have some mountains to the west but where the sun sets the mountains are low from my point of view so my western sky is fairly clear. I took some snapshots last night but I can't seem to make out the comet. At least we will have a very young moon this week to help out in spotting the comet.

Jay

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: arellanon]
      #5726340 - 03/11/13 04:57 PM

Quote:

I'll be observing from 35.632877,-117.671943; hopefully I can capture some good shots from this location. I have some mountains to the west but where the sun sets the mountains are low from my point of view so my western sky is fairly clear. I took some snapshots last night but I can't seem to make out the comet. At least we will have a very young moon this week to help out in spotting the comet.

Is that RIdgecrest CA? I bet you will have a great view. Will you be using binoculars, telescope or just your camera?

It was in and out with the naked eye last night from the Southern California coast but easy to spot with 7x35's!

Good luck!

Jay

tidroplane
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/02/06

Loc: Everett, Wa. USA
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Jay]
      #5726359 - 03/11/13 05:07 PM

Jay, you are`nt handeling this badly, it`s definatly some others that are. I gotta be honest, some of these comments make me sick. This is just a hobby and should be treated as such, some of you should be ashamed..........Well done Jay, you captured some very nice images of the comet!

Jay

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: tidroplane]
      #5726388 - 03/11/13 05:22 PM

Quote:

Jyou captured some very nice images of the comet!

It was fun to see a plan come together! I used Starry Night and Google Earth to map it all out. Thought about how best to set the camera to get a chance at capturing it. I went out on March 8th but was clouded out so returned on the 9th. My wife and I searched and searched for it visually and with binoculars but only when I got home and started processing the images did I realize I had possibly, faintly, recorded it. I suspected a contrail initially but then saw that its length was consistent with star trails and long exposures and it was where my software indicated it would be.

I have to hand it to today's technology. And luck. It was a fun project. I, like others, was hoping for an outburst.

How have your observations been coming?

Jay

Acheron
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/07/05

Loc: Croatia, Velika Gorica
      #5726475 - 03/11/13 05:58 PM

Here is picture od comet taken at 45.7N 16.1E in central Croatia.

For best viewing experience, please follow link to flickr and full resolution image.

Comet Panstarr, March 11th 2013. by Vedran Vrhovac, on Flickr

Here is also a short timelapse created from images that I took.
http://youtu.be/Qq0hbSPQFoE

I've almost missed the comet. It was visible for brief period in hole between clouds

hiro
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/17/07

Loc: Tokyo
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Acheron]
      #5726588 - 03/11/13 06:45 PM

Here is a frame of the comet taken in the evening on March 9, 2013 in Hawaii.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hiroc/8546914928/

Thanks.

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: hiro]
      #5726616 - 03/11/13 07:01 PM

Has anyone had a chance to observe PannStarr in 100mm or larger binoculars or with a large aperture scope? I have both but haven't had enough time to use anything but my wide field refractors. I was using an alt-az mount last night and was up to 150x with my 180mm scope but tracking was too much. Any comments on your views with either regarding PannsStarr. ?

...Ralph
Sacramento

Darren Bly
sage

Reged: 07/24/06

Loc: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: aa6ww]
      #5726709 - 03/11/13 07:48 PM

Hi Ralph,

I was out last night (3/10) with my 25x100's observing PanSTARRS from 19:27 to about 20:00 when it set. It was a great view and I plan to be out with them again tomorrow.

Quote:

Has anyone had a chance to observe PannStarr in 100mm or larger binoculars or with a large aperture scope? I have both but haven't had enough time to use anything but my wide field refractors. I was using an alt-az mount last night and was up to 150x with my 180mm scope but tracking was too much. Any comments on your views with either regarding PannsStarr. ?

...Ralph
Sacramento

Jay

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Darren Bly]
      #5726774 - 03/11/13 08:19 PM

Okay just one more... then I'm storming off again. (Sheesh, this 14 year old Facebook girl thing is hard to shake.)

Comet PanSTARRS March 10, 2013

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Darren Bly]
      #5726809 - 03/11/13 08:35 PM

Quote:

Hi Ralph,

I was out last night (3/10) with my 25x100's observing PanSTARRS from 19:27 to about 20:00 when it set. It was a great view and I plan to be out with them again tomorrow.

Quote:

...Ralph
Sacramento

Sounds good Darren, I'm gonna be trying out my 25x100's tonight also. A guy from my Active Astronomers Group has been saying his 150mm Fuginon's have been breathtaking.

Good Luck!!

..Ralph

operascope
sage

Reged: 09/03/08

Loc: Canada
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: aa6ww]
      #5726858 - 03/11/13 09:02 PM

A quick comment on the "Jay controversy". Most of the comments that doubted that it was a comet seemed to me to be quite objective, and I for one found the discussion enlightening, especially when it was in the end determined to be a successful observation.
This is a hobby, and so shouldn't be treated as life or death, but it is also a scientific hobby, and so should also be approached with an element of objectivity. Yes, the observation was doubted by some, but that helped confirm it's validity.
As for the person who accused him of falsifying the image, that is another matter entirely. I saw no reason to suspect that, and to make that kind of accusation, I would hope there would actually be proof.

Good catch Jay, and congrats on weathering the storm!

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: operascope]
      #5726907 - 03/11/13 09:30 PM

Well, I finally got my first (and maybe only view) of the comet tonight. Had to wait and catch it between two passing clouds just before it set. Small and showed nicely in my 9x63 binos, but very dim and just barely naked eye visible here tonight.

TBH - after all the hype going back to last autumn, I find it a letdown, hoping for something more. The average person who watches their local weather and sees the map of where to look will be expecting something easily seen naked eye, and likely never find or see it. Oh for the days of 17P Holmes, Hale-Bopp, or especially West or Kohoutek, the comets from my formative teen years.

magic612
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5726957 - 03/11/13 09:54 PM

You folks with clear skies ans photos of the comet are killing me. Nothing but rain and clouds for the past three days here.

arellanon

Reged: 12/12/06

Loc: Alta y Baja California
      #5726967 - 03/11/13 09:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is that RIdgecrest CA? I bet you will have a great view. Will you be using binoculars, telescope or just your camera?

It was in and out with the naked eye last night from the Southern California coast but easy to spot with 7x35's!

Good luck!

Jay

Yes it is! Hopefully I can catch some good shots. I will be sure to share if I can get some good shots.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5726968 - 03/11/13 09:59 PM

Good night here in OKC, 35 degrees north latitude. Our club public viewing is tomorrow night at the city reservoir with a nice flat western horizon, but about a dozen of us tried a trial run this evening. Skies were generally clear with a very low cloud bank extending about five degrees above the western horizon. I set up my TMB92L with 24 Panoptic about an hour before sunset and tracked the sun down to set with the white light solar filter, then shifted about 7-10 degrees to the south and waited. At 8, 24 minutes after sunset I panned down and hit the comet dead center. The coma was bright and the broad fan-shaped tail was easily discerned. As it got darker the coma really popped out with the tail more visible. Of those on hand, equipment ranged from cameras and binoculars up to a 12 inch Dob and everyone was able to easily pick it out, although no one reported a naked eye sighting before PANSTARRS dipped into the clouds at about 8:35. All in all a most successful outing and tomorrow night's public event should be equally clear and even better with the comet popping out next to the crescent moon. I can't say I am disappointed with this comet in any way. It should prove to be a nightly treat as it climbs out of the suns gravity well in the next few weeks.

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: magic612]
      #5726974 - 03/11/13 10:02 PM

Quote:

You folks with clear skies ans photos of the comet are killing me. Nothing but rain and clouds for the past three days here.

I 2nd that!

zee

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Arizona (varies)
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: magic612]
      #5726980 - 03/11/13 10:04 PM

Aha. I finally got it tonight in southern AZ (no light pollution here) for about 10 minutes starting at 6:40 local time, a narrow window between too much light and cometset. The thinnest of clouds (edit: ?haze? convection?) made it look terrific as it fell behind low mts., gave the dramatic impression of movement and fire, so I won't even complain about those clouds. 15 x 70 Celestron binocs.

oh, and edit: when I told three neighbors where it was, they could see it naked eye.

Loren Toole
sage

Reged: 03/23/04

Loc: New Mexico USA
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: zee]
      #5727016 - 03/11/13 10:24 PM

Using my 10x70 Fujinons, I began sweeping for PANSTARRS around 7:30 pm local, but there were a lot of wispy clouds slowly panning across the horizon and skyglow was still too bright. Around 7:50 the comet became obvious at 5 degree altitude, actually the nucleus could be easily seen through clouds, it is obviously nonstellar. The tail extended maybe a third to a half degree, rather fan shaped with a graded ray pattern and brighter sections along the northern edge, an averted view really was needed. At this point I'd estimate the comet was about 3.5 degrees above our local horizon. Darkening twilight didn't add much detail in the tail, clouds continued to increasingly obscure it until 8:00.

AndyfromTucson

Reged: 09/12/12

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Loren Toole]
      #5727038 - 03/11/13 10:40 PM

Saw it last night in Tucson with binos and 8 inch dob. Tonight I saw it with binos about 10 minutes after the end of civil twilight and then just barely with naked eye starting maybe 15 minutes after the end of civil twilight. Pretty cool looking through binos!

Pages: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | >> (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41516

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics