Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | >> (show all)
aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: canukLX90]
      #5727380 - 03/12/13 02:54 AM

I got a chance to use my Oberwerk 25x100mm IF binoculars tonight. Panning the skies with two eyes with this much glass made finding PannStarr a snap. The 25 power of the binoculars using both eyes was much more pleasing and captivating than using one eye even in my 180mm refractor at the same magnification when I was using my 41 PannOptic. The details and contras both eyes have when looking through two 4" refractors was like pushing my eyes into a view finder in a video game.
The depth of field with two eyes viewing PannStarr can't be duplicated in any Astrophotography at any level or even in one eye viewing through a telescope. The 3D effect just cant be duplicated because the "Brain Eye" is opened up and working when using two eyes.
As the skies got darker, with more time to view PannStarr because its higher in the sky now, the main tail stretched out to at least one full degree and maybe even more.
I have a feeling that even though PannStarr will be getting shorter in the next few days and weeks, because it will be getting higher and will be able to be observed deeper into the darkness, its appearance may even seem larger for a while!!

Pretty cool, and very breathtaking when viewed in larger Binoculars!!

....Ralph

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RolandosCY

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: aa6ww]
      #5727436 - 03/12/13 04:27 AM

Wonderful observations and photos you guys... Here, on an island world-famous for its 340 clear days and nights a year, we have been really plagued with high cirrus clouds AND dust (from the Sahara) in the atmosphere since March 8, and doesn't seem likely we'll get rid of them before the 16th.. There is a small chance of openings though tomorrow and Thursday, I will just keep trying...

Jeremy Perez
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/12/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: RolandosCY]
      #5727447 - 03/12/13 04:45 AM Attachment (49 downloads)

The comet was looking better tonight and I was able to view it naked eye as a soft 'star' in the twilight. Besides binoculars, I also brought the 8-inch Dob to a school parking lot on McMillan Mesa. The view was most pleasing through binoculars, but some of the delicate structure was more apparent through the scope. It's always awesome watching a comet sink behind the treeline. I tried to capture the essentials in the attached sketch.

I shot and stacked a few photos with my Canon 300D, but since my lens only zooms to 105 mm, the comet was pretty shrimpy in the images. I snagged a few more photos through the binoculars and telescope with the iPhone camera. That gave larger scale, but the images are pretty noisy.

The photos are here: C/2011 L4 (PanSTARRS) - March 11/12, 2013

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: krp]
      #5727602 - 03/12/13 08:15 AM

Quote:

How many people have seen the comet naked eye? I'm getting impatient to see it on Wednesday, if the clouds finally clear up.

I can see in with direct-vision here in the high desert of NM, but only once I have found it in binos and then know where to look. It is tough! Any thin cloud cover will completely mask it. The tail is visible only with assistance.

Shane in gray-zone NM

Phillip Creed
Idiot Seeking Village

Reged: 07/25/06

Loc: Canton, OH
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: hottr6]
      #5727631 - 03/12/13 08:37 AM

On behalf of all comet observers in the Buckeye State, I would like to take this time to thank the jet stream and Lake Erie for absolutely NOTHING.

Clear Skies,
Phil

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: aa6ww]
      #5727663 - 03/12/13 08:58 AM Attachment (48 downloads)

Last evening the transparency was much better than on the 11th but the seeing was only fair at best based on how Canopus danced and flared in the South. I was unable to see the comet without optical aid and the comet looked wider but not the "shiny, short sewing needle" appearance as seen on the 11th. I picked the comet up with my 7X50 spotting scope @ ~ 02:10 UT ~ 10 degrees above the horizon. It had a wider tail and had a slight brownish-yellow color to it with a bright point toward the sun facing end. I was able to follow it till it set behind the Mts @ ~ 02:34 UT. Here are 2 pictures taken last night with my Canon PowerShot SX220i camera; first is a wide field shot of 5 seconds taken @ 02:19 UT:

Edited by Edward E (03/12/13 09:02 AM)

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: Edward E]
      #5727667 - 03/12/13 09:00 AM Attachment (49 downloads)

and another closer to the horizon of 2 seconds exposure taken @ 02:24 UT:

Edited by Edward E (03/12/13 09:03 AM)

BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: BillFerris]
      #5727721 - 03/12/13 09:31 AM

Tonight, Tuesday, March 12, PanSTARRS will be just to the left of a very thin, crescent Moon at sunset. If you make a fist and extend it to arm's length with the knuckles up, that will approximate the comet's distance from the Moon. This offers a great photo and visual observing opportunity. By 45-minutes after sunset, the sky should be dark enough to make the comet an easy detection in binoculars. If the transparency is very good, PanSTARRS may be visible to the naked eye. A smart phone camera will do the job so, give it a go and share your images.

Bill in Flag

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: Phillip Creed]
      #5727745 - 03/12/13 09:50 AM

Quote:

On behalf of all comet observers in the Buckeye State, I would like to take this time to thank the jet stream and Lake Erie for absolutely NOTHING.

Clear Skies,
Phil

That's pretty funny Phil. Sorry to hear your skies aren't doing so well.

...Ralph

Mike Lynch
sage

Reged: 04/07/06

#5727798 - 03/12/13 10:20 AM

NO, RALPH!! It's not funny AT ALL!! Here in Central Kentucky, we've had clouds every evening since PanSTARRS moved north...

Without the photos I've been viewing on the internet, I wouldn't know what it looks like! But they're also making me jealous!!

OK.. Rant over... for now...

Mike Lynch
Frankfort KY USA

magic612
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome
      #5727813 - 03/12/13 10:30 AM

Quote:

Tonight, Tuesday, March 12, PanSTARRS will be just to the left of a very thin, crescent Moon at sunset. If you make a fist and extend it to arm's length with the knuckles up, that will approximate the comet's distance from the Moon.

Bill, here's my graphics for the next couple of weeks that show both how to do those measurements, as well as estimate the comet's position on a daily basis.

http://eyesonthesky.com/Blog/CometPANSTARRS.aspx

It should be less than a fist width away though; more like 5 degrees, at least based on the graphics Stellarium created for me. It should be about a fist-width away tomorrow evening, above the comet.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#5727876 - 03/12/13 11:01 AM

Once again Bill you have the shot of the day. Very nice!

Axle

Reged: 04/19/12

Loc: Lake Powell
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: Edward E]
      #5727958 - 03/12/13 11:43 AM

Myself and several others viewed the comet from Wahweap View Overlook at Lake Powell, AZ last night. The comet was first spotted at 7:05 MST. This was the second night for many that said the comet was first spotted at 7:05 MST the previous night (3/10) also.

The repeat observers reported that the view last night (3/11) was more prominent than on 3/10 even though there were several low level cloud bands. A few younger people reported brief naked eye sightings with averted vision only.

This evening will be the big outreach event with Park Service and community involvement. We are looking forward to the upcoming beautiful view with the crescent moon alongside.

Jay

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Southern California
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: Axle]
      #5727977 - 03/12/13 11:53 AM Attachment (43 downloads)

Coffee break reprocess.

The problem, I think, with shooting RAW files is the seemingly endless processing possibilities. Good morning everyone.

Jay

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Southern California
      #5727983 - 03/12/13 11:56 AM

Looking forward to this Bill. Thank you for the reminder!

Jay

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: Jay]
      #5727987 - 03/12/13 11:57 AM

More fine images and reports. I especially appreciate the detailed reports from Ralph and Unknownastronomer--thanks!

Jeremy, that's another fine sketch. It looks very much like the close up posted by Jay yesterday.

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
      #5728293 - 03/12/13 02:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Clear Skies,
Phil

That's pretty funny Phil. Sorry to hear your skies aren't doing so well.

...Ralph

It really does blow. Here in PA we have had rain and clouds since Saturday and the rest of the week looks to be the same.

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: Special Ed]
      #5728302 - 03/12/13 02:42 PM

I did some measurements based on the actually field of view of my binos, comparing it to known distances between two stars, and just before I lost PannStarr below the horizon last night, I think the very dim transparent main tail was probably closer to 1.2 degrees actual field of view. I couldn't tell till I checked some star charts to see how wide my actual field of view was. The documented actual field of view of my 25 x 100 binos claims 2.5 degrees field of view but its closer to 2.35 deg based on some stars I was measuring it by, in the constellation Orion. I have a feeling PannStarr is really closer to 2 degs long, or more, but at least visually, I can't see that since its not fully dark by the time it drops below the horizon.

None of the photos Ive seen anywhere posted here or on the web is really showing what the coma looks like up close. The cometís nucleus is bright and star like, not unlike Sirius, glowing that intensely and not steady but its the heated gases and dust around the coma that the photos are not picking up, That gas and dust area around the cometís nucleus is maybe 3 times larger than the bright nucleus in the eyepiece with more of an egg shape at higher powers, similar to how comet Holmes looked initially. This is based on a conversation I had with a friend this morning who went out with me when looking through a C11 at about 200x, which was all the conditions would let us have before things just got washed out because it was so low in the sky then. Still, with the C11 tracking, we were able to disect in more details what the coma looked like.

Pretty cool.

Its pretty hard to hear someone say its kinda of a blah comet that seems to have fizzled. I don't think so, not by any stretch of the imagination.

...Ralph

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: Jeremy Perez]
      #5728308 - 03/12/13 02:46 PM

Quote:

The comet was looking better tonight and I was able to view it naked eye as a soft 'star' in the twilight. Besides binoculars, I also brought the 8-inch Dob to a school parking lot on McMillan Mesa. The view was most pleasing through binoculars, but some of the delicate structure was more apparent through the scope. It's always awesome watching a comet sink behind the treeline. I tried to capture the essentials in the attached sketch.

I shot and stacked a few photos with my Canon 300D, but since my lens only zooms to 105 mm, the comet was pretty shrimpy in the images. I snagged a few more photos through the binoculars and telescope with the iPhone camera. That gave larger scale, but the images are pretty noisy.

The photos are here: C/2011 L4 (PanSTARRS) - March 11/12, 2013

Your drawing is showing the coma of the comet more realistically than the photos taken. In photos, the comets nucleus is always over exposed and at low power, the level of gas and dust around the coma isn't that detectable. Pretty cool!!

...Ralph

Mike C
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/08

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #5728507 - 03/12/13 04:23 PM

I went to work laden down with tripod, camera and binoculars today, and with largely clear conditions during my train journey and my subsequent walk home from the station, I was confident that I'd see PanSTARRS at last!

However my 60th comet (yes, I keep a database ) still eludes me. Perhaps I overestimated how high the pair would be, plus there was cloud encroaching across the otherwise clear West during my walk back from the station.

Will try again tomorrow!

Regards,

Pages: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 42317

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics