Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas
      #5593240 - 12/28/12 07:59 PM

I've searched back a few months in this forum and can't find a thread on this.

Can someone who owns this book tell me how comprehensive it really is? I know it's somewhere between Rukl and Kaguya in coverage; but what actually is covered - how much of the Moon? How many pages is it? And, is there a key chart like most lunar atlases have? Is there any standardization, as in all the images being at the same sun angle, and things like that? Does it cover the far side? Are the images in order, so that you can get a continuous progression of adjacent images?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5593274 - 12/28/12 08:16 PM

That's one Moon atlas I don't have.

Mike

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5593318 - 12/28/12 08:47 PM

The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas
#5459844 - 10/07/12 08:49 PM
@Rick.....there's a pretty informative thread in the LUNAR OBSERVING dept.!!!....Hope this helps!!

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: RobertED]
      #5593560 - 12/28/12 11:32 PM

The Cambridge is an excellent book Rick, though I don't classify it as an atlas in the traditional sense; it's more of a cross between an atlas and Chu's "Photographic Moon Book", with more detail and coverage. I believe this is the link you were looking for: Cambridge Atlas thread

It's graphics and pictures are excellent quality, almost as detailed as the Kaguya. But unlike Kaguya it has 100% coverage of the nearside of the Moon with detailed info and images on the more prominent regions. It's printed and bound on an oversize 10" x 14" format so the images are larger than if on a std 8.5" x 11". All in all, well worth the money. Just IMHO I find Rukl and Cambridge Atlases are about all I need for the Moon; they go side by side and complement each other well. Of course I have more, but they're just bonus material next to the Rukl/Cambridge combo.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5593582 - 12/28/12 11:49 PM

You asked about pages, there are 191 pages inside, including the index. And the front and back inside covers both have photos of five various phases from waxing cresent to full, with pointers to the specific page where a notable feature or crater can be found.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5593743 - 12/29/12 02:38 AM

Thanks guys.
Robert, I found that thread after I had already started this one; but it didn't really answer my question about coverage. But Steve says 100% near-side coverage, which is what I was hoping for.
Guess I'll be firing up the ol' credit card here pretty quick.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5594007 - 12/29/12 09:46 AM

Rick,

I wonder how the CPMA compares to the Photographic Moon Book that can be downloaded as a PDF file? They are both written by Alan Chu. AFAIK, no one has brought this up. I am very surprised that this has not come up either in this CN thread or the other one cited.

Here's the link to Chu's PDF Moon Atlas:

Alan Chu's Photographic Moon Book

Quote:

For those unfamiliar with this free publication, it is a photographic guidebook to the moon containing nearly 300 annotated images of lunar features with complete feature descriptions in 33 map sections--- and too much more useful information to list here. It is an excellent (I feel the very best available, free or otherwise) observer's guide to our Moon. The latest is the version released Mar. 2011. 257 pages.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5594011 - 12/29/12 09:48 AM

By the way, I have a Barnes & Nobles $50 gift card that I'm looking to burn through. I wonder if I should go for the CPMA? I've already ordered Charles Wood's new Moon Atlas. When does one have too many lunar atlases? Maybe I should buy yet another book on the Messiers instead?

Mike

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

#5594095 - 12/29/12 10:28 AM

Quote:

Rick,

I wonder how the CPMA compares to the Photographic Moon Book that can be downloaded as a PDF file? They are both written by Alan Chu. AFAIK, no one has brought this up. I am very surprised that this has not come up either in this CN thread or the other one cited.

Here's the link to Chu's PDF Moon Atlas:

Alan Chu's Photographic Moon Book

Quote:

For those unfamiliar with this free publication, it is a photographic guidebook to the moon containing nearly 300 annotated images of lunar features with complete feature descriptions in 33 map sections--- and too much more useful information to list here. It is an excellent (I feel the very best available, free or otherwise) observer's guide to our Moon. The latest is the version released Mar. 2011. 257 pages.

Mike

Mike,

My posts above Ricks might answer your question. I did just bring it up and address that to a point. The Cambridge is not an atlas in the traditional sense, but more of a cross between the Photographic Moonbook and a regular atlas. It's also, at 10x14, a larger printed and bound format allowing better quality pictures than in the Moonbook.

The Photographic Moonbook, seems to me more of a detailed reference book or encyclopedia including geologic information, whereas the Cambridge is more "atlas-like", with better photos and without all the encyclopedia of info.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5594163 - 12/29/12 11:00 AM

Steve,

Yes, sorry. I see now that you did mention it above. I was wondering if Chu's PDF was sort of a dress rehearsal for the printed Atlas. But it seems they are different critters after all.

Mike

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

#5594185 - 12/29/12 11:17 AM

I wonder about that too, and don't know either Mike. I've also wondered if the photo quality would be better if a professional printer and better quality glossy stock paper would improve the Moonbook. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to test it.

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

#5594788 - 12/29/12 05:53 PM

Quote:

... When does one have too many lunar atlases?

Mike

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #5595249 - 12/29/12 10:29 PM

Quote:

The Cambridge is an excellent book Rick, though I don't classify it as an atlas in the traditional sense; it's more of a cross between an atlas and Chu's "Photographic Moon Book", with more detail and coverage. I believe this is the link you were looking for: Cambridge Atlas thread

It's graphics and pictures are excellent quality, almost as detailed as the Kaguya. But unlike Kaguya it has 100% coverage of the nearside of the Moon with detailed info and images on the more prominent regions. It's printed and bound on an oversize 10" x 14" format so the images are larger than if on a std 8.5" x 11". All in all, well worth the money. Just IMHO I find Rukl and Cambridge Atlases are about all I need for the Moon; they go side by side and complement each other well. Of course I have more, but they're just bonus material next to the Rukl/Cambridge combo.

I can easily see myself using this book as Steve describes. Received a copy as a holiday gift. I'm still reading the text up front (very basic stuff, but nicely presented and should be very good for new lunar observers), but I've taken a good look through it and am very impressed. CPMA and Rukl's atlas are likely to be my guides of choice in the near future.

The catch is the size of CPMA. Need to leave lots of room on the observing table, or find some way to prop it up and open. A heavy-duty copy holder or an old music stand would do the trick.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5595488 - 12/30/12 02:23 AM

Quote:

When does one have too many lunar atlases?

Seriously, one can't; the Moon changes its appearance in a matter of minutes, and each atlas is either a compromise, or a view at a given moment. The identification or investigation of a particular feature can depend on having a representation of it under the right conditions. The more reference points you have, the better the chance of having what you need.

I have Alan Chu's Moon Book; but, I'm just not an electronic book guy. I relate far better to printed material.

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5595759 - 12/30/12 09:48 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys.
Robert, I found that thread after I had already started this one; but it didn't really answer my question about coverage. But Steve says 100% near-side coverage, which is what I was hoping for.
Guess I'll be firing up the ol' credit card here pretty quick.

I highly recommend this book, man!! You won't be sorry!! My favorite part, is the gorgeous photography!!!!

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5595767 - 12/30/12 09:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

When does one have too many lunar atlases?

Seriously, one can't; the Moon changes its appearance in a matter of minutes, and each atlas is either a compromise, or a view at a given moment. The identification or investigation of a particular feature can depend on having a representation of it under the right conditions. The more reference points you have, the better the chance of having what you need.

I have Alan Chu's Moon Book; but, I'm just not an electronic book guy. I relate far better to printed material.

Totally with you, Rick!! Books are COOOOLL!!!! ....especially the "Old School" copies!!!

....uh, by the way!...what does "When does one have too many lunar atlases?"...mean????

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: RobertED]
      #5595862 - 12/30/12 10:40 AM

Well, I may have reached the saturation point in lunar atlases. I passed on the CPMA. I must already have at least a dozen lunar atlases.

I had a $50 gift card for Barnes & Nobles. I bought "Cosmic Challenge: The Ultimate Observing List for Amateurs" and "Deep-Sky Companions: The Messier Objects." I only have about four books on the Messiers. Besides, my copy of Wood's "Lunar Atlas" is on it's way. Enough is enough.

Mike

desertstars

#5596121 - 12/30/12 12:57 PM

Quote:

Enough is enough.

Careful... I said that about eyepieces once, and a crowd of people came after me with torches and pitchforks...

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: desertstars]
      #5596309 - 12/30/12 03:01 PM

Even Jim Barnett, the Eyepiece Hooligan, has thinned out his herd. Rumor is he has only about 200 eyepieces now.

Mike

desertstars

#5596557 - 12/30/12 04:55 PM

Erm, as I recall, he was leading the mob. Well, not leading, exactly. More like standing back at a safe distance and urging them on.

Quote:

....uh, by the way!...what does "When does one have too many lunar atlases?"...mean????

Dude, seriously, don't ask me!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2791

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics