Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
Jupiter @ 33.7....! (more images) + last rgb!
      #5593722 - 12/29/12 02:05 AM Attachment (84 downloads)

Well, we've settled back into "Realityville" for Jove at home here in South Australia after our trip to Tennant Creek to draw Jupiter's elevation up to 49 degrees.....very satisfied with the best images from that expedition because I never though I'd be chalking up another "personal best" before Jove comes South again in a few years time.....

But last night looked allright so a quick trip out to the edge of the Murray Mallee had us shooting Jupiter at 33 degrees - the pity of it was that at about 11.30pm (just after culmination) the seeing, which had risen considerably for the prior 2 rgb sets was shot down by clouds during the next red channel capture.....and they appeared out of nowhere (as often happens here!?! ) just when we were starting to mutter something like "oh, goodness, this looks ok for the elevation!"

Collimation on Aldebaran just a couple of degrees higher was something to behold at this low elevation.....here is one of the 2 best done on the laptop so there is room for considerable improvement once we're home - the low elevation made the appearance a tad murky etc but there's no denying the quality when you factor in that it was at only 33.7 degrees - no ADC's here btw!

I'll post home processings and a WinJupos etc as well as the best red channel once I'm home in the morning.....
:)

Edited by Kokatha man (12/30/12 12:32 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
martus
sage

Reged: 01/03/11

Loc: Czech Republic
Re: Jupiter @ 33.7....! new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5593818 - 12/29/12 05:32 AM

Great job Darryl! I like it very much

Regards,
martus

Mert
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/31/05

Loc: Spain, Pamplona
Re: Jupiter @ 33.7....! new [Re: martus]
      #5593894 - 12/29/12 08:18 AM

Oh man, that's a very delicate image with lots of
detail.
Beautiful processing!

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
      #5593963 - 12/29/12 09:05 AM

Well done! I remember the challenges of imaging Jupiter when it was only 33-34 degrees up a few years ago and never turned out anything like that.

Paul

Timthelder

Reged: 06/12/12

Loc: Bowling Green KY
Re: Jupiter @ 33.7....! new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5594101 - 12/29/12 10:30 AM

At that elevation, that one's a ripper! Jupe's only about 20 degrees off my zenith here...And i have nothing but rain, snow flurries, clouds....Arrgh!

Tim

Az Frank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/18/08

Loc: Tucson Arizona
Re: Jupiter @ 33.7....! new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5594106 - 12/29/12 10:32 AM

A cracker image Darryl! Some fine detail for sure!

edsplace
sage

Reged: 11/02/11

Re: Jupiter @ 33.7....! new [Re: Az Frank]
      #5594238 - 12/29/12 11:51 AM

That is a super image :-). If seeing is good who care how high the planet is!

lcd1080
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/03/10

Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: Jupiter @ 33.7....! new [Re: edsplace]
      #5594311 - 12/29/12 12:25 PM

Darryl, your Jupiter looks exceedingly good for 34 degrees elevation, it won't be long before we northerners must deal with Saturn at that altitude. Of course by then you'll be enjoying the ringed planet at 70 degrees altitude so good times are close at hand! You mentioned collimating on Aldeberan which reminds me of a question, do you use a reticle eyepiece with cross hairs and concentric circles for collimating? If so which one? I'm thinking that might increase the accuracy of the process.

Pete

DesertRat
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Valley of the Sun
      #5594811 - 12/29/12 06:04 PM

Very nice Darryl! Seeing must have been special for such a fine image at that elevation. Well done!

Glenn

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Re: Jupiter @ 33.7....! new [Re: DesertRat]
      #5595068 - 12/29/12 08:06 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Thanks fellas - I was really quite amazed at how steady Aldebaran appeared whilst collimating. (Pete, I only ever collimate "onscreen" because from my perspective any collimating that isn't done with the imaging train you'll be using - ie, a set up with the cam etc in situ - isn't appropriate - and it also is a darn sight easier doing it this way btw! )

We didn't go home so it's still laptop processing I'm afraid, but here's the first rgb set from that night's session, as well as the red channel from that first set, both at 115% of capture scale: that "hand" feature/festoon I mentioned in Martus' thread can be seen to good effect here!

Actually there are quite a few decent sets in the session so a WinJupos is definitely a task with this data, and fortunately the focus remained pretty consistent during the session so the problems I alluded to in Glenn's latest thread won't annoy me with this lot.....

....here's the rgb:

Kokatha man
Postmaster

#5595071 - 12/29/12 08:07 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

...and the red channel:

lcd1080
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/03/10

Loc: Maryland, USA
      #5595116 - 12/29/12 08:41 PM

Quote:

...Pete, I only ever collimate "onscreen" because from my perspective any collimating that isn't done with the imaging train you'll be using - ie, a set up with the cam etc in situ - isn't appropriate - and it also is a darn sight easier doing it this way btw!

That's good to know Darryl, I've been using a DSLR camera to collimate my SCT but in light of your comments I'll use the planetary cam instead. I do find it easier to stand stationary in front of the telescope and rotate the Bob's Knobs while watching the laptop screen rather than having to walk back and forth between an eyepiece and the front of the scope. But now that you've recommended use of the planetary cam for collimation it will be even easier because I won't have to remove the DSLR and insert the planetary camera each time I collimate before imaging.

Thanks,
Pete

wenjha
Vendor

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: SuZhou China
Re: Jupiter @ 33.7....! new [Re: lcd1080]
      #5595159 - 12/29/12 09:18 PM

I think this one is even better than the one before,nice done!

ZuoZhao
sage

Reged: 10/16/12

Re: Jupiter @ 33.7....! new [Re: wenjha]
      #5595181 - 12/29/12 09:44 PM

It seem seeing very good. Your excellent work make a nice result.

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Re: Jupiter @ 33.7....! new [Re: ZuoZhao]
      #5595419 - 12/30/12 12:45 AM Attachment (28 downloads)

Thanks also Sam and ZZ.....here's the final rgb set before seeing torpedoed the wonderfull seeing at that elevation this night - this was with Io just about to disappear behind Jove!

Using the 3X drizzle seems to work wonders with colour rendition at times - I used it on my best Tennant Creek images also.....used on this image here it cleans away the "murky" appearance that the low elevation imparted to the earlier postings done with 1.5X drizzle (this almost sounds like a soap powder commercial!!! - although some might say a more dun-coloured planet is closer to ep views...)

I have 3 very nice red channels evenly spaced over 48 minutes which I'll put together as an animation and also the rgb's when I get home, as well as a WinJupos compilation.....all in all I think the luck's really
been with me re the seeing "downunder" this apparition - and hopefully Saturn holds some more joy!

Here is the last rgb at 120% capture scale.

Space Cowboy
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/30/10

Loc: Cheshire, UK
      #5595627 - 12/30/12 07:08 AM

Remarkable images for that alt Darryl! Just shows what is possible when seeing is so good.

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
      #5595641 - 12/30/12 07:35 AM

Superb work on a tough target Darryl, bravo Personally I know I don't have any issues with the color at 3x drizzle, it looks great On a final note, I think you have just about talked me into picking up an ASI120MM before the Saturn season is fully under way...

Clear Skies,
Brian

Edited by BKBrown (12/30/12 07:39 AM)

martus
sage

Reged: 01/03/11

Loc: Czech Republic
Re: Jupiter @ 33.7....! new [Re: BKBrown]
      #5596076 - 12/30/12 12:35 PM

Last RGB image is excellent! I like it fine processing ,very well done Darryl

Regards,
martus

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Re: Jupiter @ 33.7....! new [Re: martus]
      #5596905 - 12/30/12 08:39 PM

Thanks once again for the generous compliments everyone - I just think I've been very lucky here in Oz for this Jovian apparition.....you need to put the time and effort into it obviously, but unless the weather plays ball you can labour away in vain ad infinitum.....

Today I'm working on my 29 Jupiters from last night/early this morning: seeing was on a par with that of the images in this thread but this time the clouds prevented imaging around culmination but finally cleared after Jupiter had sank below 30 and the seeing rose for a short while (sort of the reverse of the other night) - I think I must be on some sort of quest to image against all sane expectations atm....!

Martus, you're right imho.....using 3X drizzle alters the "contrast" for want of a better description (among other things) so that the histogram is more centred in its limits as opposed to being weighted towards the low end for no drizzle and 1.5X.....when stretched it gives a much more pleasing, softer appearance to the image and colour rendition, and as Emil noted sometime ago this camera's output seems to allow for plenty of stretching without weird effects arising.

I must re-process that 2nd rgb image in this thread using the 3X drizzle, as I think it's the best recording...at home I have CS4 which allows me to fiddle the dynamic range and other functions a bit better than with the CS3 loaded on this laptop.

Brian, I think I should've haggled for a share in Sam's business back awhiles - seems he's getting quite a few orders lately but that doesn't surprise me because of the product, pricing and his attention to details!

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1202

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics