Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/10/12

Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland
Canon 1000D/Rebel XS vs 1100D/Rebel T3 new
      #5592997 - 12/28/12 05:29 PM

I'm looking to try my hand at astrophotography, both planetary / lunar and DSO using my 8" SCT. As money is tight, I've ruled out a CCD camera and as I want to try both planetary and DSO I'm leaning towards a DSLR. From what I've read, Canon is the way to go, in part because of the software available and I'm considering either a 1000D/Rebel XS or a 1100D/Rebel T3 and looking for some advice on which one to get.

The pros of the 1000D/Rebel XS appear to be
  • mirror lockup - but if I'm using the live view feed to a laptop to take planetary shots I guess lack of lock up on the 1100D/Rebel T3 ain't a problem
  • older so cheaper - but the prices on Evil Bay in the UK aren't that different to some of the deals available at the photo shops for the 1100D/Rebel T3

whereas for the 1100D/Rebel T3 the pros appear to be
  • lower noise - according to a review by Gary Honis the 1100D/Rebel T3 has a low dark frame noise level similar to that of the 450D and 550D and lower than the 1000D/Rebel XS
  • available new - so no wear and tear on the shutter mechanism - what is the average life of the shutter mechanism?
  • has a video mode - but if the live view feed can be used for planetary imaging in the 1000D/Rebel XS does this matter?

Are there any other considerations I should be taking into account?

What are your thoughts as to which would be the better camera for the job?

James

Edited by Masvingo (12/28/12 05:38 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dan Watt
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/13/09

Loc: Oceanside, Calfornia.
Re: Canon 1000D/Rebel XS vs 1100D/Rebel T3 new [Re: Masvingo]
      #5593210 - 12/28/12 07:39 PM

I have the T3 and I'm very happy with it. Keep in mind that the T3 is 14 bit while the XS is 12 bit.

Mirror lockup seems to be a non-issue in my experience with it. The shutter mechanism seems to be softer than my other DSLRs I have had in the past. I wouldn't bother worrying about it. The T3 also has smaller pixels which would be better for planetary work.

I think you'll be happy with either one though, pretty much any Canon from the 450D onward is excellent.

Hal9000
sage

Reged: 02/13/06

Loc: Liverpool, England.
Re: Canon 1000D/Rebel XS vs 1100D/Rebel T3 new [Re: Dan Watt]
      #5593528 - 12/28/12 11:11 PM

My lovely wife has just bought me an 1100D for Christmas. I'm looking to attach it to my 8" (f/6) newt (with Moonlite CR1). I'm currently using 1.25" eyepieces. what adapters etc would you all recommend?
Cheers, Al.

FrankenCub

Reged: 08/26/11

Loc: Whitney Point, NY
Re: Canon 1000D/Rebel XS vs 1100D/Rebel T3 new [Re: Hal9000]
      #5593685 - 12/29/12 01:05 AM

I have been looking at buying a used Canon to experiment in AP too. I was at first considering an 1100D even though its an entry level camera but did see it has very good reviews here. I am quite hesitant of eBay though, I'd hate to get it and find out its messed up :-/
I have found one locally here with two lenses for $350, but then found a new in box t1i for $400. My big issue is it has to serve dual purpose, otherwise I could just buy a body and invest the rest in the other parts of my scope or whatever. Think I'm going with that one if its still available ...crossing fingers lol

Edited by FrankenCub (12/29/12 01:10 AM)

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Canon 1000D/Rebel XS vs 1100D/Rebel T3 new [Re: Hal9000]
      #5593700 - 12/29/12 01:18 AM

Quote:

...what adapters etc would you all recommend?

If your focuser allows 2", here... is one adapter example. Thx

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Canon 1000D/Rebel XS vs 1100D/Rebel T3 [Re: mmalik]
      #5593740 - 12/29/12 02:36 AM

I have a canon XS that I modified for AP and I'm very happy with it. Here is a recent image.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyinsea/8083419493/in/photostream/
I bought the camera "as is" on ebay for $90. It was sold "as is" because it could not meter correctly. I hyper modded it and added TE cooling.
What's interesting is that my XS is much cleaner then my modded T2i which is riddled with pattern noise.
Andy

Edited by andysea (12/29/12 11:07 AM)

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Canon 1000D/Rebel XS vs 1100D/Rebel T3 new [Re: Dan Watt]
      #5594908 - 12/29/12 07:02 PM

Thanks Dan, it's good to hear that the lack of mirror lock-up shouldn't be an issue with the T3. I think I will probably go for the T3 although, as you say, either one should be fine for my needs.

James

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Canon 1000D/Rebel XS vs 1100D/Rebel T3 new [Re: FrankenCub]
      #5594931 - 12/29/12 07:14 PM

Hi FrankenCub, yes, I'm a bit wary of buying over the 'bay which was one of the advantages of the 1100D over the 1000D to me as I can get the 1100D in Jessops (a nationwide chain here) for not too much more than the earlier model goes on the 'bay.

I'm also looking to get a lens as well rather than just a body so it can also be used, if necessary, for ordinary pictures - no plans to mod it at this stage.

James

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Canon 1000D/Rebel XS vs 1100D/Rebel T3 new [Re: andysea]
      #5594953 - 12/29/12 07:22 PM

Hi Andy, that's a lovely shot. That's a surprise to hear that the modded XS is better than the T2i for noise. At present I've no plans to mod my camera until I've worked out what I can do with the standard version and got up to speed with the imaging process but the possibility has been filed in my mind for future reference!

James

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5594991 - 12/29/12 07:36 PM

Thank you James.
Well I am not sure that teh XS is actually lower noise. It's hard for me to compare as my xs has been heavily modified with cooling. However the pattern noise seems to be more of an issue with the T2i. I have seen other T2i's/T3i's with zero pattern noise. My guess is that it varies from sensor to sensor. Unfortunately pattern noise is the worst kind of noise and AFIK the only way to mitigate it is by dithering between subs.

I think you will quickly find out that you nee to mod your canon to get the most out of it for AP. I chose the clear mod for both my cameras but there are are plenty of posts about this topic so I will leave it up to you to research it.

Andy

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5595003 - 12/29/12 07:39 PM

One more thing. For planetary work you will need a camera capable to taking videos which pretty much rules out the XS. You might also want to look into registax. It seems to be standard processing software for people who do planetary work.

FrankenCub

#5595067 - 12/29/12 08:06 PM

Quote:

Hi FrankenCub, yes, I'm a bit wary of buying over the 'bay which was one of the advantages of the 1100D over the 1000D to me as I can get the 1100D in Jessops (a nationwide chain here) for not too much more than the earlier model goes on the 'bay.

I'm also looking to get a lens as well rather than just a body so it can also be used, if necessary, for ordinary pictures - no plans to mod it at this stage.

James

I have been watching eBay pretty closely the past 4 days or so to get ideas on going prices for used cameras, anywheres from 40D's to the t3i's....mostly out of shear boredom as we've had snow storm after snow storm. I've been surprised that the local prices I've found on Craigs List (kinda like an electronic flea-market I guess) to be much better anyhow. And as a plus I can test them out before I plunk any cash down. I still look at that 1100D every day because it does come with an extra lens lol. The lady listing it is being less than honest about the listing though so I don't look very long, she says it's sold in stores for $750 when I've seen it for $499. I'm seriously thinking about modding one this summer seems it won't have any warentee from Canon. It's pretty straight forward and can be used daytime with a custom WB setting. I've had my Sony apart a few time to fix the shutter button that kept wearing out so any anxieties of messing up the camera have already been worked through lol

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5595126 - 12/29/12 08:55 PM

Hi FrankenCub
I have modded a few canons. You're correct, it's not very difficult. I can't speak for the newer models tho. I believe from the T2i on Canon has introduced a different mounting system for the sensor that makes squaring the sensor with the body a little trickier when reassembling. You should do some research prior to attempting the mod.
One thing to keep in mind is that if you do the clear mod the autofocus will no longer work. With the newer bodies tho the sensor position can be adjusted so that the autofocus will actually still work. My T2i was clear modded by Brent Oliver and he also readjusted the sensor position so that the camera can be used for daytime IR photos.
If you use the replacement Baader filter the camera will work just fine and you will be able to use it for daytime photography with a OWB filter or a custom WB. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you use Astronomik EOS clip filters you won't be able to use EF-S lenses.

RedLionNJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/29/09

Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA
      #5595128 - 12/29/12 08:56 PM

Quote:

One more thing. For planetary work you will need a camera capable to taking videos which pretty much rules out the XS. You might also want to look into registax. It seems to be standard processing software for people who do planetary work.

Unless I'm mistaken, this statement is incorrect. All that's required to capture video for planetary stacking is any Canon with liveview (which includes the 1000D) and BackyardEOS.

The resulting AVI (or JPGs) can then be stacked in AS!2 or AviStack2 before being gently sharpened in Registax.

Grant

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Re: Canon 1000D/Rebel XS vs 1100D/Rebel T3 new [Re: RedLionNJ]
      #5595161 - 12/29/12 09:19 PM

Oh ok I didn't know that.
Is live view a hd video?

FrankenCub

#5595188 - 12/29/12 09:48 PM

Quote:

Hi FrankenCub
I have modded a few canons. You're correct, it's not very difficult. I can't speak for the newer models tho. I believe from the T2i on Canon has introduced a different mounting system for the sensor that makes squaring the sensor with the body a little trickier when reassembling. You should do some research prior to attempting the mod.
One thing to keep in mind is that if you do the clear mod the autofocus will no longer work. With the newer bodies tho the sensor position can be adjusted so that the autofocus will actually still work. My T2i was clear modded by Brent Oliver and he also readjusted the sensor position so that the camera can be used for daytime IR photos.
If you use the replacement Baader filter the camera will work just fine and you will be able to use it for daytime photography with a OWB filter or a custom WB. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you use Astronomik EOS clip filters you won't be able to use EF-S lenses.

I was a nervous wreck when I tore apart my Sony to fix it lol. Once I did it a couple times, it's no big deal. I read the tutorial real quick on the newer cameras (t1i-t2i) but sure I missed some stuff. I would spend proper time reading it once I go to do it. Wasting time while the From what I gathered, if you left the back lens out (LPF#2) the AF would not work at all, but if replaced with clear glass it would be close, if replaced with the Baader it would work as should, but I could have read that wrong
I figured for my use, it would be best to go with the Baader mod and custom WB so I can retain the EF-S lens, I really can't afford to be buying more lenses for a camera ATM. Although I certainly wish I could, I'd never be home

FrankenCub

#5595261 - 12/29/12 10:34 PM

Quote:

Oh ok I didn't know that.
Is live view a hd video?

I believe Live View I just your PC seeing what your camera is seeing. You don't want to be concerned with HD video anyhow from what I've read. When doing planitary AP with video it's using video crop or 1:1. Video crop will only be on certain models like the t2i and 60D I think, I don't remember which ones all have the 1:1 but I can find the link ...

FrankenCub

#5595420 - 12/30/12 12:45 AM

I can't find that link on the 1:1 info but I'm sure someone will come along who will have it rignt on top of their head and be able to straighten it all out. I don't think it matters anyhow as we can feed images right to the pc via live view, we don't need video feed.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5595452 - 12/30/12 01:29 AM

That's great to know Iif I ever want to try planetary imaging:)
Given the horrible weather that we've had lately maybe that's what I should do!! Lol

FrankenCub

#5595496 - 12/30/12 02:34 AM

Well guess what, I just couldn't leave well enough along and continued lookin
Found it, good info too... 1:1 Info for Planitary AP Lately there has been so much cloud cover I couldn't see the full moon unfortunately. Has been some occasions for some pretty creepy photos though with the odd clouds passing by though, gotta hurry up and get that camera so I can at least get some photos of something...good or bad o.O

Edited by FrankenCub (12/30/12 02:35 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2288

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics