Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: DELOS EYEPIECES [Re: northpole]
      #5594276 - 12/29/12 12:08 PM

Quote:

IMHO,blackouts are not an issue at all if the adjustable eyecup is set properly.

Per Tele Vue, the way to do this is:

1. Put eyeguard in full up position
2. View through eyepiece (all FOV will NOT be visible)
3. Slowly lower eyeguard until you can just see the entire AFOV
4. Lock eyeguard in that position

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: DELOS EYEPIECES new [Re: BillP]
      #5594559 - 12/29/12 02:43 PM

I really like the 2 inch adapter that comes with the Ethos SX EP's. Is there a similar arrangement available for the Delos as well? I would like to avoid the adapter shuffle. :-)

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
Re: DELOS EYEPIECES new [Re: ybor]
      #5594854 - 12/29/12 06:30 PM

I use Antares twist lock adapters with my 1.25" eyepieces and barlows. Highly recommended. David

Edited by dscarpa (12/29/12 06:31 PM)

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: DELOS EYEPIECES new [Re: dscarpa]
      #5594893 - 12/29/12 06:50 PM

Oooo! Those are nice Dave! :-) I'm sold!

I got three for the Delos, and two for the panoptics. :-) 41mm to 3.7mm at 2 inch all the way baby!

Edited by MRNUTTY (12/29/12 08:57 PM)

iceblazeModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/15/11

Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, ...
Re: DELOS EYEPIECES new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5595196 - 12/29/12 09:55 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

Yep, The Antares adapters work great! Markus (Scanning4Comets) pointed them out in one of his posts last year, and I had to pick up a few. I currently go 48,27,10,4.5 for my 2" "wide field" set

-James

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: DELOS EYEPIECES new [Re: iceblaze]
      #5595364 - 12/30/12 12:01 AM

Quote:

Yep, The Antares adapters work great! Markus (Scanning4Comets) pointed them out in one of his posts last year, and I had to pick up a few. I currently go 48,27,10,4.5 for my 2" "wide field" set

-James

Nice James! Another cool thing with those adapters is that you can screw the bottom of the 2" GSO barlow element right onto it !!!

Cheers,

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: DELOS EYEPIECES new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5595534 - 12/30/12 03:46 AM

I also own two of the Antares adapters and recommend them highly.

Dave Mitsky

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5595863 - 12/30/12 10:41 AM

Quote:

Nice James! Another cool thing with those adapters is that you can screw the bottom of the 2" GSO barlow element right onto it !!!

Yep! Here's a tip: keep an o-ring on the adapter and when you add the barlow element to the bottom, you can roll down the o-ring a bit to prevent botttoming out in the diagonal.

Another tip: If you unscrew the top piece of the Antares adapter, the barrel becomes a T2-thread nosepiece.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: DELOS EYEPIECES new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5595883 - 12/30/12 10:51 AM

I have a few of the twist-lock adapters, also, Antares as well as other brands, and I use them often. But I do not have them permanently connected to my 1.25" eyepieces.

There are several negative aspects to having all your 1.25" eyepieces permanently in adapters. First and maybe foremost for me, is that they will take up more space in the eyepiece case. Also, if you have an eyepiece rack on your mount which has holes for 1.25" and 2" eyepieces, the 1.25" holes will be wasted. Another problem is that you will have to take the adapter off to fit the 1.25" eyepieces in a filter wheel or binoviewer.

For me, these inconveniences do not make up for the small amount of time needed to take a 1.25"-2" adapter on and off an eyepiece. Personally, in my experience, there would be no real advantage in transforming all my 1.25" eyepieces into ersatz 2" eyepieces. I don't get that. YMMV To each their own!

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5595906 - 12/30/12 11:05 AM

Bill,

Quote:

Quote:

IMHO,blackouts are not an issue at all if the adjustable eyecup is set properly.

Per Tele Vue, the way to do this is:

1. Put eyeguard in full up position
2. View through eyepiece (all FOV will NOT be visible)
3. Slowly lower eyeguard until you can just see the entire AFOV
4. Lock eyeguard in that position

I just acquired my first Radian eyepiece, a 4mm. Terrible blackouts unless you position your eye correctly. Worse than the old Orion Epic ED-2's! Now that's saying something. But it's not a real problem to set the Instadjust for the eyepiece. Sounds similar to what's on the Delos. No big deal. Just takes a little experience, a little trial and error. I'm not sure if I like that gizmo or think it's really necessary, but it's not a biggie.

Of course Radians and Delos are TeleVue , so I suppose they are not criticized for blackouts to the extreme extent that Orion Epics were ... even though, in my experience the blackouts in the Radians are much worse than they were in the Epics.

Mike

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: DELOS EYEPIECES new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5595932 - 12/30/12 11:21 AM

Quote:

I have a few of the twist-lock adapters, also, Antares as well as other brands, and I use them often. But I do not have them permanently connected to my 1.25" eyepieces.

There are several negative aspects to having all your 1.25" eyepieces permanently in adapters. First and maybe foremost for me, is that they will take up more space in the eyepiece case. Also, if you have an eyepiece rack on your mount which has holes for 1.25" and 2" eyepieces, the 1.25" holes will be wasted. Another problem is that you will have to take the adapter off to fit the 1.25" eyepieces in a filter wheel or binoviewer.

For me, these inconveniences do not make up for the small amount of time needed to take a 1.25"-2" adapter on and off an eyepiece. Personally, in my experience, there would be no real advantage in transforming all my 1.25" eyepieces into ersatz 2" eyepieces. I don't get that. YMMV To each their own!

Mike

But Mike, when you don't have any of those constraints it works pretty well! LOL!

Seriously, I wouldn't do it otherwise, but the ethos SX's have the 1.25 adapters on them, so I would be switching from 2"-1.25"-2" more often. If I took them off the SX's, them there would be two of those adapters, plus the adapters from the diagonal and telescope all kicking around. For me, it's less loose parts the dark. :-)

My dark site, where these are going to get used the most, is in a small railed platform on top of my parents house near the seashore. If I drop something, it bounces down the roof over the gutter, usually, and into the landscaping. Losing an ethos SX adapter sounds expensive to replace if I can't find it.

Edited by MRNUTTY (12/30/12 11:24 AM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: DELOS EYEPIECES new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5596021 - 12/30/12 12:07 PM

John,

Yes, I could see the advantage to a permanent set of ersatz 2" eyepieces if I never used a filter wheel or binoviewer. But I have two filter wheels: one loaded with filters for the planets, another with filters for DSO. The planet filter-wheel sees much sky time at home - often stacked with a binoviewer!

The DSO filter-wheel is great at my dark site to see immediately the effect of different filters on bright nebulae or to switch between an empty slot and an O-III to bag planetaries. Often I've seen veteran observers spend quite a bit of time using my filter wheel to see how nebulae appear with the different DSO filters: broadband, UHC, O-III, H-Beta and an empty slot. Evidently it is a very convenient and practical gizmo that provides immediate feedback. Much better than having to screw filters on and off an eyepiece in the dark.

So I use the twist-lock adapters to get a more secure fit, but not to create a universal set of 2" eyepieces. Not every observer will share my protocols and priorities. There's plenty of room for diversity in this hobby!

Mike

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

#5596026 - 12/30/12 12:09 PM

Quote:

Mike

Negative aspects? There are ZERO. They don't take up space at all....Eyepiece racks are useless in the winter or when it's really cold out because the eyepieces just fog up after exposure, this is why mine is removable and has all 2" holes for when it is a bit warmer. Not everybody has a filter wheel or binoviewer, so that's a moot point. There is a HUGE advantage to having all of your eyepieces in 2" mode as opposed to fiddling in the dark with your adapters.....with them all on there, they stay on there and just go into the 2" part of your focuser, etc.

Why mess with adapters when you can just leave them all on and use them that way.

Happy New years!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5596044 - 12/30/12 12:17 PM

Well, obviously there are negative aspects for some observers or else all observers would put all their 1.25" eyepieces permanently into adapters ... which evidently they do not.

And many observers do have binoviewers and/or filter wheels, so the point is not moot.

I've already given reasons why an observer would want to use 1.25" eyepieces without a permanently-mounted adapter. They might not be good reasons for the way you do astronomy, but after all, this is just a hobby ... as I keep trying to remind myself and others!

Happy New Year!

Mike

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5596045 - 12/30/12 12:17 PM

I agree with Mike on this one, I like putting the Antares adapter in the diagonal when I need it and then easily switching out my 1.25" eyepieces with the twist-lock mechanism. OTOH, to switch out these eyepieces with adapters already attached, I am now NOT using the easy Antares twist lock mechanism, I'm having to loosen thumbscrews on my diagonal, etc. Maybe if I used a Baader Clicklock diagonal it would be different.

But if you do want adapters permanently attached, I agree the Antares is an excellent low cost solution. I do keep one permanently attached to my Zeiss Abbe 2X barlow nosepiece.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5596055 - 12/30/12 12:23 PM

Johnny,

For my 150mm Mak, I'd like to have a visual back with a twist-lock adapter and a 2" diagonal with a twist-lock adapter. Or a 2" diagonal that connects directly to the back of the Mak - and has a twist-lock adapter for the eyepieces.

But those options can cost upwards of ! So these little 1.25"-2" twist-lock gizmos are a good compromise.

Mike

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5596062 - 12/30/12 12:28 PM

Mike, I don't like the Clicklock visual backs. I've had several and, like the TEC140 collet, I can rotate the diagonal no matter how much it's tightened. I may not be able to pull it out, but I can sure turn it.

I use the AP triple-thumbscrew visual back for a solid secure attachment.

I do use a Baader Clicklock on my 2" Zeiss diagonal and I love it as an eyepiece holder.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5596070 - 12/30/12 12:32 PM

Yes, I was concerned about being able to rotate the diagonal. That is something to consider.

Mike

Kutno
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/17/09

#5596201 - 12/30/12 01:45 PM

Quote:

I just acquired my first Radian eyepiece, a 4mm. Terrible blackouts unless you position your eye correctly.

In addition to Instadjust, each Tele Vue Radian comes with a Pupil Guide, which further helps to position one's eye.

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
      #5596215 - 12/30/12 01:55 PM

Most of the time I leave the Antares adapters in the diagonals. If I'm using mostly 2" eyepieces that night I will leave one on a 1.25" eyepieces I want to use that session. David

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
32 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4981

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics