Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Jupiter Dec 28, 2012
      #5594620 - 12/29/12 03:33 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

Last night wasn't the greatest but I did get the Dob out to observe and try out eyepiece and barlow combos with my binoviewer. I was surprised that I could bump up the mag near 250x and get a good view with colors being exceptional in the northern hemisphere. When Jupiter climbed high enough to be in "Dobson's hole" the view deteriorated because of the atmospheric funk pouring into the tube, the fan not helping at this point. Oh well, it was late and I wanted to make the finished sketch.

The colors came out stronger than what I was actually observing (?), something Norme also experienced in one of his previous sketches. The NPC was pretty bland but showed a slight hint of blue. The NEB, NTZ and NTB displayed interesting colors. The NTB was a dark brownish color and was well defined. The NTZ was a yellowish tan color which blended into the NEB as orange, progressing into a dark maroon brown color. The SEB was equally interesting in that the color in front of the GRS was very dark brown, with lighter color toward the limb and light oval areas. The wake trailing the GRS was not as big as I have previously observed it, but the turbulence was definitely a blue color with light spots everywhere within. The SEB trailing the GRS was a light bluish grey color, starkly contrasting the colors of the leading part of the belt.

What a surprise the GRS was, displaying a pink hue that darkened toward the center. I haven't seen such color this apparition. I guess it's the STB that I was observing being pulled into the GRS. It was very prominent trailing the GRS, but almost imperceptible leading it. The color was a darkish grey. At the South end the cap was a light grey with hints of blue, and included very faint lighter streaks. There was a dark streak prominent that I believe is probably the South Temperate Temperate Belt (?) - I'm a lot newer at this than most of you, so I'm not sure about this one. Finally, I'm starting to see more pronounced shading in the limb (left side of sketch) now that Jupiter is past opposition. I noticed the same thing last year when observing Mars.

The hour or so that I was outside turned out pretty well and I was thrilled that I was able to see so much color in Jupiter last night.

Thanks for reading the post and looking at my sketch.

Happy new year to all,
Ed D

Edited by Ed D (12/29/12 03:44 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Jupiter Dec 28, 2012 new [Re: Ed D]
      #5594661 - 12/29/12 04:02 PM

Ed,

That is a very nice looking capture of Jupiter. The color adds much and you have captured a good amount of detail.
Nice post.

Frank

Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Jupiter Dec 28, 2012 new [Re: frank5817]
      #5594757 - 12/29/12 05:28 PM

Ed

Beautiful colors used in this sketch. I like it. Nice capture.

Andre

Edited by Andrev (12/31/12 12:54 AM)

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter Dec 28, 2012 new [Re: Andrev]
      #5594959 - 12/29/12 07:24 PM

Ed, what a great color rendition. Where to start?

Yes, IME, and for some reason I do not yet understand, the NEB give a a little more distinct red hue at 250x. Excellent description of that NEB reddish glow. To me it's just hard to nail down, but does appear to be reddish in the north as you say. I see it in good transparency, maybe that's what you had.

Not sure why the NPR appears blue at times, maybe our eyes are flirting with mesopic seeing and the rods add a little less red.

Yes, preceding and trailing the GRS, the belts take on a very different hue. To my eyes, deep brown and blue-gray, respectively. You captured the effect perfectly. I have to credit my girlfriend for pointing that out, she had no preconceived notion and was talking about "blue" where there /should have/ been none. She was right. It is stark once you see it, well done.

Also, seeing color across the GRS, IME, depends on transparency and probably seeing. It takes a good clear night to catch that. Sometimes it just appears gray with a "pink" northern border, other times it is entirely colorful. Color in BA is best seen in those conditions, too.

I am thrilled for you, too, Ed.

I am a little curious about the "Dob hole" allowing junk to pour down into the tube. It kind of makes sense, but I have never heard of it.

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter Dec 28, 2012 new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5595265 - 12/29/12 10:36 PM

Norme, from all I read in other posts it appears the weather is pretty unique here in 'Sunny South Florida'. Although I'm in a very densely populated suburb I'm also not that far from the everglades, making for interesting local weather patterns. Right now there is mostly very high humidity and the air is a swirling mass of warm and cold that just doesn't seem to mix. On almost any given night I feel the bubbles of cold air dropping down on me while I observe. It's not too bad when the scope tube is at an angle, and the fan helps. But, when the tube is almost straight up it all drops down into the objective opening, the denser and more humid air wreaking havoc with the image. Imagine sitting there observing and someone pours a 5 gallon bucket full of light fog into the objective.

This is happening because now Jupiter is high up at the time when I can observe, and also because it's the time of year when we get all that hot/cold fluctuation along with the high humidity. On cold, crisp nights after a front has passed through and the atmosphere is stable I have had very good sharp and steady images with a cooled scope. (Cold for us is beach weather for y'all up north)

Ed D

Edited by Ed D (12/29/12 10:41 PM)

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #5595296 - 12/29/12 11:09 PM

Yea, ED, some of the best nights are when you can feel that cool air settle. And no warm air, I guess. You got it, it's the changes in air density. Still, great job on the colors.

Aquarellia
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/27/12

Loc: Provence, France
Re: Jupiter Dec 28, 2012 new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5595359 - 12/29/12 11:57 PM

Well done Ed, I like the result.

JimPie
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/10/07

Loc: S.E.Michigan
Re: Jupiter Dec 28, 2012 new [Re: Aquarellia]
      #5595414 - 12/30/12 12:42 AM

Excellent sketch Ed
Those are some nice colors.

astronz59
sage

Reged: 09/15/10

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
      #5596936 - 12/30/12 09:20 PM

Ed, I like the way you have rendered the colors. I have had very little lucj with seeing much by way of color in the GRS, which I am now nicknaming the GPS (Great Pale Spot). Jupiter, however, is only at a maximum altitude of 30 degrees here, and seeing has not been great. Swap you some altitude for a little drier air????

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Jupiter Dec 28, 2012 new [Re: astronz59]
      #5597387 - 12/31/12 04:42 AM

Ed, I can only echo what others already said: nice sketch and fine work on the colors.

Quote:

which I am now nicknaming the GPS

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter Dec 28, 2012 new [Re: astronz59]
      #5597501 - 12/31/12 08:12 AM

Quote:

I have had very little lucj with seeing much by way of color in the GRS, which I am now nicknaming the GPS (Great Pale Spot).

The night of the 28th was the first time this apparition that I have really observed color in the Great Pale Spot.

Ed D

ericj
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/17/05

#5597788 - 12/31/12 11:35 AM

Hi Ed,

Nice sketch, thanks for posting it.

Best,

Eric

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5598202 - 12/31/12 03:33 PM

Ed,

Very nice sketch of Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 749

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics