Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
Mack Truck
journeyman

Reged: 12/29/12

Diagonal for Nexstar 8SE that won't hit base mount
      #5595697 - 12/30/12 08:50 AM

Any advice for a diagonal for a Celstron Nexstar 8 SE ? My main concern is that the stock unit hits the base of the mount when you aim at zenith.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Diagonal for Nexstar 8SE that won't hit base mount new [Re: Mack Truck]
      #5596219 - 12/30/12 02:02 PM

An SCT specific diagonal may work, but have you tried sliding the tube forward a bit on its dovetail?

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5596336 - 12/30/12 03:15 PM

If your scope does not have a seperate dovetail, then your best chance of reaching focus with a 2" diagonal will be the Televue 2" short diagonal and the matching Televue 2" short adapter.

Astronomics catalog listing for SCT Short Adapter

Astronomics catalog listing for Televue Short Diagonal

You can ask on the SCT forum if someone can confirm that this will work if your scope does not have a dovetail mount.

There is one other option that results in an even shorter unit. The Baader diagonals all accept the Baader T2 accessories. One of the accessories that Baader sells is a SCT to T/2 converter. This is only 15mm long (about 1/3" shorter than even the Televue short diagonal and short adapter). This would give you the best chance of clearance, and additionally, would give you the shortest possible light path, resulting in the widest possible true field your scope can provide using 2" eyepeices and working at full aperture.

And the Baader has this too. For less than the Televue diagonal, you can buy the Baader 2" Mirror diagonal with a 2" Clicklock eyepiece holder! Now you're talking!

Look at figure #3 on this page for a picture of how short this setup is. You can't get any shorter than this and still be able to rotate the diagonal (there is a 10mm adapter, but it does not allow diagonal rotation)....

Picture of Baader unit with short adapter on SCT... See figure 3

And finally there is the cheap solution... As I recall, Celestron used to sell a short SCT diagonal that was intended to work for scopes that had limited fork clearance.
I believe Meade may have offered one too.

Edited by Eddgie (12/30/12 03:16 PM)

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Diagonal for Nexstar 8SE that won't hit base mount new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5596948 - 12/30/12 09:28 PM

Hi Mack:

Your 8SE should have a dovetail rail on the side of the scope, which is held onto the mount with a clamp and a big thumbscrew. You can loosen the clamp and slide the tube forward to allow more clearance.

The stock unit will definitely clear the base on an 8SE if the dovetail is properly adjusted.

-Dan

Mack Truck
journeyman

Re: Diagonal for Nexstar 8SE that won't hit base mount new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5597340 - 12/31/12 03:02 AM

Thanks for the input. I think the Baader is what I need, but do you know exactly what accessory I need directly to the back of the Nexstar 8 SE ? I checked Baader's web site, but my german is pretty limited!

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/06

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
      #5597589 - 12/31/12 09:32 AM

Actually, william optics makes a 2" diagonal and sct low profile adapter. The way it works is that you unscrew the nosepiece from the diagonal and screw on the adapter. Then unscrew the stock visual back from the scope and screw on the diagonal. This combo will clear the base on the 8se.

Mack Truck
journeyman

Re: Diagonal for Nexstar 8SE that won't hit base mount new [Re: bcuddihee]
      #5597602 - 12/31/12 09:40 AM

Quote:

Actually, william optics makes a 2" diagonal and sct low profile adapter. The way it works is that you unscrew the nosepiece from the diagonal and screw on the adapter. Then unscrew the stock visual back from the scope and screw on the diagonal. This combo will clear the base on the 8se.

Once it is screwed to the Nexstar can you still turn it sideways or is it locked ?

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5597672 - 12/31/12 10:23 AM

It's locked, the friction between the edge of the diagonal ring and the area around the opening at the rear of the scope keeps things in place. You just loosen the ring slightly, turn to new position, and tighten ring ... no problem. You don't want the diagonal to have the ability to move until you want it to move. With heavier components (big 2" eyepieces, binoviewers, cameras, etc.) you want things to be as solid as possible.

Mack Truck
journeyman

Re: Diagonal for Nexstar 8SE that won't hit base mount new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5597683 - 12/31/12 10:28 AM

Both William Optics and Baader diagonals seem to be very good products. Any feedback with William Optics ? Being in Europe I am a bit concerned about shipping from Taiwan (they do not offer a lot of shipping option). On the other hand, I had a bad experience with a Baader zoom eye piece (lots of dirt in the zoom) so I am also hesitant to go German...

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
      #5597720 - 12/31/12 10:51 AM

I am quite surprised that someone did not direct you to the Nexstar Specific forum located directly above this form..

That is where the Boys that run an 8se hang out...
and the topic you are interested in has been discussed many many times..

There is also dicussions about modifying the dovetail to allow even more adjustment room..by using either Rons rail or Eddies Bracket... both cheap and very effective solutions ..

I run a Denkemier 2 inch P/S diagonal on both my 8i (earlier model of the 8Se) as well as on my CPC1100 my 8i uses Rays Bracket BUT I can clear the base with room spare to with the 8i on the very few nights I find a need to actually observe at Zenith..

BTW... I read and replied to you one post about eyepieces on the other Asrto forum.. I think you will find more help here then over there with your specific scope..

Bob G.

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/06

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
Re: Diagonal for Nexstar 8SE that won't hit base mount new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5597746 - 12/31/12 11:12 AM

On the Nexstar you will not need to rotate the diagonal, it should be kept in the 12 o'clock position.

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1173

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics