Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1
PilotStar

Reged: 02/22/11

Nikon #7269 10X50 Binoculars new
      #5591695 - 12/27/12 07:39 PM

Hello:

Got Nikon Model #7269 10X50 "Action" Binoculars as a Christmas gift. Are they ideal for star observing? Are they too heavy for this type of use? Any input on this specific binocular by actual owners appreciated!

Thanks,

PilotStar (Ernie)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rich V.
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA
Re: Nikon #7269 10X50 Binoculars new [Re: PilotStar]
      #5591748 - 12/27/12 08:13 PM

They'll be just fine, Ernie; 10x50s are a preferred hand held sized binocular for astronomy.

You have a great starter binocular for astronomy and will undoubtedly be wowed by what can be seen through them. For best results, try sitting in a comfortable recliner for maximum stability.

It's good to know that Nikon has a great warranty on their binoculars as well.

Let us know what you think after you've had a chance to use them a bit.

Enjoy,

Rich

timfiskwa

Reged: 12/22/07

Loc: Richardson, TX
Re: Nikon #7269 10X50 Binoculars new [Re: PilotStar]
      #5591791 - 12/27/12 08:43 PM

PilotStar,
I have had the Nikon 10 X 50 Actions for 2 months now. They give very good views of star clusters and faint stars in my light polluted zone (Dallas). They provide a step up from my old Nikon 7 X 35mm binos.
My only critique is they fog up in damp conditions. Otherwise, a great Astronomical tool for finding your way around. Crisp, sharp optics in the center 60% FOV with a little degradation towards the edges. Enjoy them, I think they are the best binos around under $100.

BillC
on a new path

Reged: 06/04/04

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Re: Nikon #7269 10X50 Binoculars new [Re: timfiskwa]
      #5591813 - 12/27/12 08:55 PM

"My only critique is they fog up in damp conditions."

But, what binos won't under similar conditions?

Cheers,

BillC

PilotStar

#5591850 - 12/27/12 09:35 PM

Quote:

My only critique is they fog up in damp conditions. Otherwise, a great Astronomical tool for finding your way around.

Thanks for the input. The packing blister says "Includes Fog Eliminator," whatever that is! I'm fogged out right now here on the East Coast and I observe a mile from the ocean... I hope the "fog eliminator" works!

PilotStar

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
      #5592711 - 12/28/12 01:36 PM

Quote:

PilotStar,
I have had the Nikon 10 X 50 Actions for 2 months now. They give very good views of star clusters and faint stars in my light polluted zone (Dallas). They provide a step up from my old Nikon 7 X 35mm binos.
My only critique is they fog up in damp conditions. Otherwise, a great Astronomical tool for finding your way around. Crisp, sharp optics in the center 60% FOV with a little degradation towards the edges. Enjoy them, I think they are the best binos around under $100.

I would agree they are very nice for under $100.00. I've had mine about a year and use them quite a bit. They are also nice for bird and wildlife viewing. Be sure to check out the Pleiades with them a very nice binocular target.

I would also recommend you check out Gary Seronik's website and his book Binocular Highlights which is a great tool for viewing the night sky with binoculars.

PilotStar

Re: Nikon #7269 10X50 Binoculars new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5594443 - 12/29/12 01:37 PM

Thanks for the input, folks. What case did you get for the #7269, as they don't come with one? Oddly, model #7218, which is identical to #7269, is supplied with a case! (Case for #7269 not available on Nikon's website.)

PilotStar

beisenhauer
journeyman

Reged: 05/11/12

Re: Nikon #7269 10X50 Binoculars [Re: PilotStar]
      #5595894 - 12/30/12 10:56 AM

I got the same pair for Xmas and got to try them out for the first time last night. I was amazed at how clear the moons of Jupiter were at only 10x. And the Pleiades never looked better. Unfortunately the moon was up before M42 was high enough to get a really good look.

+1 on the case question. Still looking myself.

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greyhaven, Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1283

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics