Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
S&T Topo Lunar Globe
      #5596401 - 12/30/12 03:43 PM

Anyone here gotten one of these yet? The one where colors indicate relative height of features? I really like the look of it; I think I'm going to order one later this week.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: S&T Topo Lunar Globe new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5596645 - 12/30/12 05:57 PM

I've been drooling over the adds too. I think I'd really like to have one. I'd really like to see it first but that's not gonna happen.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5596727 - 12/30/12 06:51 PM

I bought the regular lunar globe and the Mars globe as Christmas presents to myself. Though I was temped by the topographic one as well, I thought the labeling on the regular globe would be more useful for outreach. Both are good quality and make nice decorative living room accessories.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: S&T Topo Lunar Globe new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5596804 - 12/30/12 07:33 PM

Ah!
When S&T was offering the topo Mars globe, I thought "I don't need that; the regular one shows the stuff I can see." But later, as my interests expanded, I found that I could really use one of the topo globes - but they were gone! I've been kicking myself ever since for not getting one while they were available. Not gonna make that mistake again!
Some day, one will appear and I'll grab it up; I have no doubts about that. But I'm snarfing one of these bad boys while the snarfing is good.

Tim2723
The Moon Guy

Reged: 02/19/04

Loc: Northern New Jersey
      #5597629 - 12/31/12 09:59 AM

I love lunar globes. They're only for the library of course; useless at the scope, but I love them. Wish I still had the room for them though. They do take up a bit of space.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: S&T Topo Lunar Globe new [Re: Tim2723]
      #5597983 - 12/31/12 01:32 PM

Well, the deed is done.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
      #5598694 - 12/31/12 08:17 PM

Quote:

Well, the deed is done.

Hopeing for a report when it arrives.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: S&T Topo Lunar Globe new [Re: mich_al]
      #5598852 - 12/31/12 10:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, the deed is done.

Hopeing for a report when it arrives.

I suspect the picture in the ad says it all (I mean, it's not like it actually does anything). But I'll post on the quality of construction, etc.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5599995 - 01/01/13 05:18 PM

I forgot to say: The picture in the ad for the globe shows a good example of how the colored topo information reveals structures and landforms that would otherwise go unseen.

I fully expect it to completely verify the Lunar Chicken Theory of Crater Formation. Some of these so-called "rilles" are obviously of poultrous origin.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5603978 - 01/04/13 01:08 AM

What - two days, and no abuse?
This is CN, isn't it?

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5604887 - 01/04/13 02:11 PM

This globe interests me. I want to talk about it some more. Since nobody seems to have one of these yet, let's speculate.

The ad on page 75 of the Feb issue of S&T shows the back side of the Moon - I can make out the word "Apollo" on the large, dark blue crater at bottom right. So, I'm extrapolating that the huge circular structure whose rim passes between Apollo and the big white-ridged crater on the equator must be the South Pole-Aitkin basin.

Now that's something I've never clearly seen in a picture before, nor seen a description of how to trace it. But it just leaps out at you on that globe. I wonder what other amazing things will show up? These topo globes are a great idea! When S&T puts out their Mercury globe, I hope there's a companion topo globe for it, too.

Anyone who has an S&T Mars topo globe they'd like to sell, please, PM me!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5619052 - 01/12/13 01:11 PM

My globe came yesterday. Unfortunately, it arrived slightly damaged, and has to go back for replacement on Monday; but, I've spent some time looking it over, and it's indeed a wonderful globe.

First, it's beautifully executed. I've got a couple of other Moon globes that show the Moon as seen with the eye; but the colored topo representation is just brilliant! Large structures that I've read about in books (notably "Modern Moon"), such as the South Pole - Aitken Basin and the much-thicker crust on the farside, are shown so plainly that I can now picture many of the things I've read about possible ejecta patterns, etc. much more readily.

The nearside is, obviously, pretty monotone in this context. All blue and green, with a trace of yellow in the central "Great Peninsula" area. The farside is where all the topographic action is, and man - there's a lot of it! Enormous features such as Korolev, Apollo, Hertzsprung, and many others just jump out at you. And, the highest areas on the Moon, in the Korolev area, are immediately apparent.

Visually, the farside is what you're going to want to show when you put it on the shelf (or wherever), since it's the most striking. But, the whole thing is quite beautiful.

It's expensive ($126.00 with shipping!), but if you can swing it, I think it's well worth it. You just can't get this context any other way. Seeing the topo representation on a book page isn't the same; you can't see the true perspective. Only a globe can tell the story accurately.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5620342 - 01/13/13 09:22 AM

Rick,

Thanks for the review. I've been wanting a moon and mars glove but the price always puts me off. I'm sure visually they are beautiful.

Pete

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1310

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics