Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1
stbehastx

Reged: 10/08/12

Loc: Hawai'i, Pale Blue Dot
Who makes this stuff new
      #5593690 - 12/29/12 01:10 AM

Aloha all, I have recently been viewing a thread in this forum and it appears to have steered toward the manufacturing side of the binoculars. This got me thinking, who actually makes the binoculars? Are there only a few companies that actually manufacture and then Celestron and others just buy and brand them? Are 'higher end' binoculars made by one manufactuer or smaller shops? I'm guessing with the global popularity of astronomy as a hobby at least and the many other binoculars uses that I'm asking about a full scale production line somewhere (in Asia again I'm guessing) that makes these on a scale that I can't imagine right now. Is the same true for consumer grade telescopes (I know this is the binocular forum so ignore this sentace if you please) ? I'd be interested in any and all information about this, just for my own knowledge if nothing else...Thanks CN

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: Who makes this stuff new [Re: stbehastx]
      #5593751 - 12/29/12 03:00 AM

From experience, talking to vendors and just IMHO 80-90% of binoculars are made somewhere in Asia. Mostly China but maybe a few in Japan, maybe-possibly- a very few elsewhere . It seems that there are a couple of big optics houses in China that make the lenses and prisms and bodies but there are quite a few other places that finish it with what the distributer wants for final features. This determines the selling price. A few years ago India was trying to break into the market in a big way but, personally, I have not seen any entrys. But then I have not purchased any new binos in at least 3 years. Too many on hand to really "need" another one at this time.

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03

Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Who makes this stuff new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5593774 - 12/29/12 03:54 AM

http://www.binocularschina.com/aboutus.html

BillC
on a new path

Reged: 06/04/04

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Re: Who makes this stuff new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5594023 - 12/29/12 09:58 AM

"Are there only a few companies that actually manufacture and then Celestron and others just buy and brand them?"

SOME of the FEW European companies make MOST of their own--FEWER ALL.

Other than that they are Japanese and Chinese. There are hundreds of brands and models that come from Asia. They ALL come from a handful of manufacturers. It has been that way for decades. David Bushnell was an IMPORTER, not a manufacturer!

Cheers,

BillC

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Who makes this stuff new [Re: BillC]
      #5594504 - 12/29/12 02:10 PM

I believe even companies like Minox and Zeiss are outsourcing some of their lower cost models, no matter what you buy its the same,for example a Swiss watch that is 100% Swiss made will cost you several thousand dollars,DA

stbehastx

Re: Who makes this stuff new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5595245 - 12/29/12 10:26 PM

I just found my Skymasters on that website, amazing. Thanks for the information all. Is there anywhere in the US that manufactures on any kind of large scale anymore?

BillC
on a new path

Re: Who makes this stuff new [Re: stbehastx]
      #5595323 - 12/29/12 11:28 PM

Quote:

I just found my Skymasters on that website, amazing. Thanks for the information all. Is there anywhere in the US that manufactures on any kind of large scale anymore?

There hasn't been a line of CONSUMER binoculars made in the United States for decades!!!

This statement is usually followed by some people who want to debate the issue. But since I had to deal with this the last time, I have spent the $50 I offered anyone who could prove me wrong. And no, photos of ladies wiping off objectives for rifle scopes at Leupold does not constitute making binoculars.

And YES, there are some instruments with axle covers that say "Made in the USA." However, they are Japanese parts, assembled largely by Japanese workers, but happen to be on US soil to help get US government contracts.

BillC

stbehastx

Re: Who makes this stuff new [Re: BillC]
      #5595487 - 12/30/12 02:22 AM

Yea I'm not surprised sadly by what your saying. Thanks for all the information Bill C.

BillC
on a new path

Re: Who makes this stuff [Re: stbehastx]
      #5597036 - 12/30/12 10:19 PM

I wish it were not true. But, they didn't ask me!

Cheers,

BillC

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greyhaven, Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 888

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics