Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
mloffland

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Norman, Oklahoma
A Plethora of Plossls new
      #3507055 - 12/17/09 04:31 PM

A Plethora of Plossls

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: A Plethora of Plossls new [Re: mloffland]
      #3507503 - 12/17/09 08:32 PM

Nice survey David.

That 8mm Plossl from Telescope Warehouse is actually a Carton Plossl from Japan. I had a partial set fro awhile and really, really liked them, but for their non-standard threads. That $22 price at the Warehouse is a steal.

Regards,

Jim

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

Re: A Plethora of Plossls new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #3507671 - 12/17/09 09:52 PM

Very good article on the most popular eyepieces types.

DLB242
Mr. Warmth

Reged: 07/29/08

Loc: Pen Argyl, PA
      #3507782 - 12/17/09 11:01 PM

Two of my favorite eyepieces for planetary viewing with my old Vixen f/6.5 102ED were the 8mm and 11mm Tele Vue Plossls coupled with a 2.5x Powermate. Eye Relief was non existent but the image was unbelievably sharp.

CalAstro

Reged: 12/02/05

Loc: Comanche, OK USA
Re: A Plethora of Plossls new [Re: DLB242]
      #3507961 - 12/18/09 12:39 AM

In the photo of the 2" plossls, one is obviously a TeleVue. Who makes the other ones? What other brands make 2" plossls and do they come in shorter focal lengths?

Phil

danielgolite

Reged: 09/29/06

Loc: Erie County, PA
Re: A Plethora of Plossls new [Re: CalAstro]
      #3520952 - 12/25/09 11:25 AM Attachment (149 downloads)

Nice article! I like Plossls, though I have not tried wider field eyepieces much. My first Plossl eyepiece was a Celestron 26mm silvertop that came with a six inch reflector I purchased in 1987. After using inexpensive .965 eyepieces with tiny eye lenses, it was quite a surprise to see all the glass in that Celestron silvertop! Plossls were costly to buy at that time and especially for myself, then in college.

After using a few mismatched Plossls over the years I have in the last year or so gathered together some nice secondhand ones. The vintage Celestron set includes the 32mm, 26mm, 17mm, 12.5mm, 10mm, 7.5mm, and 6.3mm; the entire set except the 40mm which I probably won't buy. These are sometimes called the "Halloween" Plossls by Celestron. They were included in the April, 1996 Sky & Telescope review article. They are nice-looking Plossls except that the orange lettering was applied just to the surface and can come off if scraped hard enough. The 6.3mm has short eye relief but is usable. This entire matched set of used Plossls was very affordable to collect.

The TeleVue smoothside Plossls are really a step up in quality of construction and are just beautiful. I have a short set of these; the 26mm, 17mm, and 10.5mm. The 26mm and 17mm provide some nice low power views for my Ranger.

David E
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/25/06

Loc: North Carolina
Re: A Plethora of Plossls new [Re: danielgolite]
      #3523048 - 12/26/09 08:16 PM

Thanks for your story Daniel. I have the your black Celestrons 10mm and 7.5mm in .965 format and they get used a lot in my classis scopes. Your 26mm silvertop is indeed very nice. I've collected that one as well as four other focal lengths. Maybe some day I'll find the rest.

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: A Plethora of Plossls new [Re: David E]
      #3523247 - 12/26/09 10:55 PM

Very nice article, David, packed with information yet easily readable and written in an entertaining style.

I've been wondering about the Orion Explorer II EPs. I have 2 (the 6mm and 17mm) which came with my Starblast dob. The Orion catalog describes them as "Plossls," but I guess they really can't be if they only contain 3 elements. Or is the term Plossl just used rather loosely nowadays, as I guess the Meade 5000s really can't be true Plossls either, since they contain 5 elements?

David E
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/25/06

Loc: North Carolina
Re: A Plethora of Plossls new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #3524168 - 12/27/09 03:00 PM

Scott, they seem to be discontinued now but early in the year I remember Orion simply describing the Explorer's as either 3 or 4 element eyepieces, the 25mm and 10mm being 3 element, the 17, 13, and 6 being 4 element.

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
      #3524186 - 12/27/09 03:21 PM

Thanks, David--that's good information. So I guess my examples of the Orion Explorer II series probably are legitimate Plossls.

Pentax Syntax

Reged: 11/03/12

Loc: Maryland
      #5595830 - 12/30/12 10:25 AM

Very informative article. Now if I could just learn to pronounce Plossl properly. My german colleague has a laugh every single time I say it. When I say it, it comes out rhyming with floss (like dental floss). When he says it, it sounds like it rhymes with flu (like Plussl). Anyway, in longer focal lengths these are great eyepieces.

Loren Toole
sage

Reged: 03/23/04

Loc: New Mexico USA
Re: A Plethora of Plossls [Re: Pentax Syntax]
      #5599226 - 01/01/13 09:06 AM

Great review, David. My only addition to what has already been said here is that complete plossl sets are less desirable for this reason: I've tried a lot of eyepieces, sampling various "sets", and there seem to be dogs in every set, especially mid- to low-priced plossls. I think this is mainly due to odd changes in eyelens size/eye relief between closely spaced focal lengths.

I agree with you, plossls can be a preferred alternative even with today's overkill wide angle, oversized choices available. I've never fully accepted advertising hype extolling the latest 6 to 9 lens creations.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: A Plethora of Plossls new [Re: Loren Toole]
      #5617678 - 01/11/13 05:59 PM

The article barely dipped into the sets and models available now and a few years ago..
So long as you stick to 50 degree fields, there is really no reason to go beyond Plössl eyepieces.
It's when you want 60 degrees....65....70....82.....90....100....110....120 degrees that it becomes really necessary to add additional lenses for correction of all the various aberrations.

It is possible to get a little better correction by adding a 5th element to the standard Plössl, but many of the current batch of 4-element ones are so well corrected and coated that it seems unnecessary. Plus, nearly all the 5-element ones have been from Japan, and labor costs are forcing them out of the market.

Were I not besotted by the huge fields of latter-day über-widefield eyepieces, I would gladly stick to Plössls and be happy.

Of course, you'd need a good barlow to create high powers. I think Plössls below 10mm of focal length require corneal implants [You think I'm joking? I've seem 4 and 5mm Plössls with eye relief shorter than the distance from my cornea to my eye's own lens!!]

astrogeezer41

Reged: 08/27/10

#5617739 - 01/11/13 06:30 PM

I really liked your article David. Thanks for writing it.
I will be reading it over and over several times.
-Robert

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: A Plethora of Plossls new [Re: astrogeezer41]
      #6002385 - 08/02/13 12:02 AM

Excellent ! I love my Plossls too .

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3390

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics