Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Bill W.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/05

Loc: Western PA, USA
CGE Pro Weight Capacity
      #5599272 - 01/01/13 09:45 AM

I was wondering what the CGE Pro's imaging capacity is. I read on their site it has a 90 lb. 'instrument' capacity. I've been looking at the G11 and CGE Pro. The G11 is slightly cheaper. This would be mounted in an observatory so bulky is not an issue. I see the CGE Pro has some limited snag issues. Can those handles be removed? Thoughts on both mounts are appreciated. Thanks so much!

-Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: CGE Pro Weight Capacity new [Re: Bill W.]
      #5600123 - 01/01/13 06:44 PM

The handles cannot be removed (well they can if you want a free moving mount) but they are great tie off points. I've never snagged a wire but i have pinched one between the handle and motor cover.

I've had 70lbs on it in an SBS config and it handled it great.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: CGE Pro Weight Capacity new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5600325 - 01/01/13 08:58 PM

Think you mean CGEM Pro. The CGE was a knock off of the G11 after Celestron and Scott Losmandy parted ways.

Instrument weight means total capacity less counter and mount weight. Generally, payload should be divided by 2 for AP.

Bill W.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CGE Pro Weight Capacity new [Re: Geo.]
      #5600442 - 01/01/13 10:17 PM

Dave,

Thanks for the info...

George,

No, I do mean the CGE Pro. I was also looking at a Losmandy G11. I'm looking for a mount with more capacity than my Atlas. I'm at the limit and actually past it on my Atlas. The Atlas still does a excellent job.

-Bill

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5600788 - 01/02/13 07:20 AM

Quote:

Think you mean CGEM Pro. The CGE was a knock off of the G11 after Celestron and Scott Losmandy parted ways.

Actually, there is no "CGEM Pro" but there is a "CGEM DX." Also, the CGE (now discontinued) was a completely new design. The knock-off of the G11 to which you refer was the CI-700. I've owned and/or used them all.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: CGE Pro Weight Capacity new [Re: Bill W.]
      #5601865 - 01/02/13 08:07 PM

Quote:

No, I do mean the CGE Pro. I was also looking at a Losmandy G11. I'm looking for a mount with more capacity than my Atlas. I'm at the limit and actually past it on my Atlas. The Atlas still does a excellent job.

Yes, you are correct! The humungus Synta/Celestron mount is called the CGE PRO. I thought it was the CGEM Pro when it was introduced, but may have lost some brain cells along the way.....

The CGEM and the Atlas (HEQ-5) are very similar mounts. The CGEM DX comes on the old CGE's HD tripod. It doesn't otherwise appear to have much to differentiate it from the CGEM. The DX is rated at 50# payload the CGEM 40#. The difference appears to be the tripod. So I'd say if your Atlas is being taxed then the DX isn't going to do that much for you.

If I were in your shoes and was moving into $5K territory I might try to find a used Losmandy Titan or get the scratch together for an AP 900 or 1200. Hard to steal though

I have an old CGE tripod around. Guess I'll make an adapter and see how much better the CGEM is on it.

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #5601882 - 01/02/13 08:20 PM

seems that the Titan is the best choice in the 5K range.

somebody was (is?) selling a Gemini G42+ Observatory on the mart for 3400 EUR. even after conversion to USD and shipping still not a bad price, and it looks better than the Titan.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

#5601920 - 01/02/13 08:38 PM

Quote:

...The CGEM DX comes on the old CGE's HD tripod.

Close, but not quite correct - the CGEM DX comes on the gigantic and heavy CGE Pro tripod rather than the old CGE tripod. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have both of these mounts. The CGEM DX tripod makes the CGE tripod look and feel like a toy.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Re: CGE Pro Weight Capacity new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5601952 - 01/02/13 08:55 PM

Quote:

The CGEM DX tripod makes the CGE tripod look and feel like a toy.

And, presumably, features vastly superior leg clamps. I never had the cable issues folks talk so much about, but those leg clamps took a lot of the joy out of using the CGE.

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: CGE Pro Weight Capacity new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5602094 - 01/02/13 10:46 PM

In addition to the already mentioned CGE Pro tripod and CGE Pro counterweight shaft, I believe that the CGEM DX has a different motor controller than the CGEM. The upgraded controller can support more power to the motors.

dobsoscope
sage

Reged: 05/24/06

Re: CGE Pro Weight Capacity new [Re: WadeH237]
      #5602496 - 01/03/13 08:23 AM

Why not the Mesu 200 ?

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5602636 - 01/03/13 09:56 AM

Quote:

The CGEM and the Atlas (HEQ-5) are very similar mounts. The CGEM DX comes on the old CGE's HD tripod. It doesn't otherwise appear to have much to differentiate it from the CGEM. The DX is rated at 50# payload the CGEM 40#. The difference appears to be the tripod. So I'd say if your Atlas is being taxed then the DX isn't going to do that much for you.

Just to get things straight here. The Atlas is the same as the EQ-6 or HEQ6, not the HEQ5 (Sirius). The CGEM DX does not use the CGE's old tripod but instead uses the improved and overly tall CGE Pro tripod. There are several other differences between the CGEM and CGEM DX other than the tripod, the most important of which, when compared to the Atlas, is a much more sturdy counterwieght bar. Any improvement switching from the Atlas to the CGEM DX would depend mostly on what the OP is experiencing as far as the "limit" of the Atlas is concerned.

Bill W.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CGE Pro Weight Capacity new [Re: EFT]
      #5603891 - 01/03/13 11:26 PM

Thanks so much guys! I've decided to go with the CGE Pro. I want to be able to jump up in weight capacity. The Atlas is at it's limit... it's actually over it. 33 lbs of counterweight barely allows it to balance. I have a Astro-Tech 8" IN, SBIG ST-8300 w/8 position filter wheel, Moonlite focuser, Stellarvue 66ED, and Orion SSAG. Losmandy dovetails on everything. So, it has a bit of weight on it. But, it still does an excellent job. The Atlas will be my mobile mount now. The CGE Pro will be put in my observatory...

-Bill

Pages: 1

Extra information
31 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1245

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics