Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
sbradbury

Reged: 08/25/09

Loc: MN
Re: FSQ-106EDXIII F5 Astrograph for Imaging new [Re: tomcody]
      #5625108 - 01/15/13 08:14 PM

Here's what I did to my EDXIII to eliminate focuser issues, plus an FLI Atlas -

Focuser replacement

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: FSQ-106EDXIII F5 Astrograph for Imaging new [Re: sbradbury]
      #5625120 - 01/15/13 08:23 PM

Very nice! Did Precise Parts make the spacer?

sbradbury

#5625180 - 01/15/13 08:52 PM

yes, Precise Parts made the focuser length adapter and the CAA length adapter, I shipped him the focuser and he duplicated the dimensions. The two shorter ones are tak 25mm spacers.

mikeschuster

Reged: 08/25/11

Loc: SF Bay area
      #5625200 - 01/15/13 09:05 PM

sbradbury, any issues with your setup? The Atlas has been OK?
Thanks,
Mike

sbradbury

Re: FSQ-106EDXIII F5 Astrograph for Imaging new [Re: mikeschuster]
      #5625203 - 01/15/13 09:10 PM

The Atlas is an amazing piece of engineering, it's worked very well and I highly recommend it.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: FSQ-106EDXIII F5 Astrograph for Imaging new [Re: mmalik]
      #5626570 - 01/16/13 04:48 PM

Following quote from a CCD thread....

Quote:

@pfile: Here's a picture of all the junk attached to...

Imaging equipment above consists of following [I doubt FSQ-106EDXIII can reach focus with this, correct?]
STT-8300M CCD Camera... + FW8-STT Self-Guiding Filter Wheel + AO-8 Adaptive Optics for ST Series...

I know above is bit of a stretch; now consider following:

STT-8300M CCD Camera... [~3 lbs] + FW8-STT Self-Guiding Filter Wheel [~2 lbs] + FSQ-106EDXIII

•Would FSQ-106EDXIII come to focus with this (i.e., without AO) setup?
•Would FSQ-106EDXIII ‘not’ flex with this (i.e., without AO) load?
•Has anyone tested this particular (i.e., without AO) setup? If yes, please post pics if you can and share your experience?

Thx

mintakaX

Reged: 04/17/07

#5629739 - 01/18/13 11:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I just purchased a 106EDXIII model and hope to piggyback it atop a newly purchased TOA-150 using my 10 year old Paramount ME. I plan on doing NB imaging with the 106 using a QSI683 WSG-8 camera. I'm planning on using Parallax rings and Losmandy plates for the connections. I've had the 106 for a week but am waiting for one last adapter piece (blasted thing!) to hook up the camera. The TPA-150 should be here this week.

Any advice or cautions on this piggyback setup ?

I've moved from a dark site to a LP site with poor seeing and I'll be replacing my Meade 16" LX220R OTA with the TOA-150
Dan

Just one suggestion, you may want to consider a FLI Atlas focuser. The advantages are;
1. you can lock your FSQ focuser and avoid any play
2. The Atlas has the finest step resolution available so you can really dial in the small critical focus zone of the FSQ.
3. The Atlas is only about 2 lbs heavier than the robofocus.
4. The Atlas's very fine resolution, allows you to run real time temp compensation during an exposure.
5. The Atlas/camera combo should be able to be moved easily between the FSQ and the TOA 150, so you can image with both.
Just some things to consider.
Rex

Thanks Rex
I'm using The SkyX Pro on a MacOSX and I need to find out if the Atlas is supported.
Also does the Atlas have a temp sensor ? It seems like a great focuser for the FSQ.
Dan

tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Re: FSQ-106EDXIII F5 Astrograph for Imaging new [Re: mintakaX]
      #5630369 - 01/18/13 06:29 PM

FLI has a plug-in for the SkyX on OSX listed on their support page, don,t know what it includes?
Also FLI lists a optional temp sensor available for the PDF focuser, you may want to check with them to see if one is available for the Atlas.
Rex

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
      #5631110 - 01/19/13 07:27 AM

With the inspiration from the photo you shared, I've just removed the focuser to see what can be done with the bare tube. I wanted to share the following photo for others to see how the FSQ106EDX looks like sans focuser:

Sorry for the mess on the table promise to tidy up today or tomorrow

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Re: FSQ-106EDXIII F5 Astrograph for Imaging new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5631134 - 01/19/13 08:02 AM

I wanted to see if it would be possible to use my existing Feather Touch FTF3025B-A 3" rack and pinion focuser. It appears it wont work because the draw tube is hitting the Petzval lens tube. If the inside diameter of FT were only 1mm larger that would be a terrific focuser for this scope. However, the shorter one will be perfectly ok. The part number is FTF3015B-A. This one will have the same travel as the stock focuser and is wide enough not to cause vignetting for the majority of the cameras.

In my case however, if I am to buy a new focuser, I will buy the 3,5" one. There is no point in buying another 3" focuser. Buying a 3.5" will leave me with a more versatile focuser stock for future.

With my current imaging setups, I don't feel the need for this upgrade yet. I will stick to the stock focuser and my FTF2015BCR tandem adaptation depending on the conditions. If I see that these are not upto my imaging needs, I will make the move to the 3,5" Feather Touch.

Atlas focuser is a very good option but I've read somewhere that it has its own problems too.

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5632748 - 01/20/13 08:46 AM

Quote:

In my case however, if I am to buy a new focuser, I will buy the 3,5" one. There is no point in buying another 3" focuser. Buying a 3.5" will leave me with a more versatile focuser stock for future.

Sedat, could you suggest the appropriate part # for 3.5" focuser you talk about; there are three that come up (FTF3515B-A/FTF3545B-A/FTF3545B)? I think 3.5" will look really impressive, aesthetically I mean in comparison to 3.0”, if 3.5” were to properly adapt to FSQ-106EDXIII; would you agree?

Everyone, was wondering if someone may have all the right pieces at hand (i.e., FSQ-106EDXIII & 3.5" FT focuser), and if they could try adapting (3.5” focuser I mean) and reporting results/posting pictures? Thanks in advance!

Sedat, thanks for confirming the 3.0" focuser (i.e., FTF3015B-A); here... is the url. Question: How easy it is by the way to remove the stock focuser from the main scope (the way you show in your pics I mean)? Regards

tomcody
Pooh-Bah

#5633092 - 01/20/13 12:18 PM

Starlight instruments
Starlight makes an adapter for the FSSQ106ED
(Also: under Related Products, they tell you which focuser fits that telescope)

Edited by tomcody (01/20/13 12:21 PM)

bilgebay
Post Laureate

#5633395 - 01/20/13 03:03 PM

Hi Mike,

The parts you will need are this and this.

It is very easy to dismantle the focuser. There is a tiny lock screw on the side of the focuser body, once you undo this you can start rotating the focuser body counter clockwise. Very simple.

3,5" focuser is the way to go definitely.

Clear skies

Sedat

bilgebay
Post Laureate

#5633526 - 01/20/13 04:40 PM

Mike- you might also want to have a look at the new thread I have started in the equipment forum.

I have tested the accuracy of the Micro Touch system in combination with the FSQ's stock focuser and put 2 videos together to demonstrate the results.

Sedat

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5633963 - 01/20/13 09:39 PM

Quote:

@tomcody: Starlight instruments
Starlight makes an adapter for the FSSQ106ED
(Also: under Related Products, they tell you which focuser fits that telescope)

Quote:

The parts you will need are this and this.

3.5" focuser is the way to go definitely.

Rex/Sedat, this is great; and this does it then. I really didn’t know if there was such a solution already in place that didn’t require custom made parts.

Now all that's needed is some volunteer/s out there who could put these (3.5”) pieces together [FSQ-106EDXIII... + A35-503-FSQ106ED... + FTF3515B-A...] and provide feedback/share pics; I am afraid it might be a while before I am able to purchase/test these components myself. Regards

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5634268 - 01/21/13 01:17 AM

I was wondering if FT A35-503-FSQ106ED... 3.5” adapter has any bearing on EDQ (with ‘Captain’s Wheel’) vs. EDXIII (without ‘Captain’s Wheel’)? Can someone confirm? Would it adapt to both or just one of ‘em? Thx

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Re: FSQ-106EDXIII F5 Astrograph for Imaging [Re: mmalik]
      #5635222 - 01/21/13 03:36 PM

According to SI website, that adapter is "Known To Fit Takahashi FSQ106ED, 2009 or newer" but looking at the pictures below I am not so sure

I believe you would need a longer adapter to get rid of the Captain's Wheel, which is one of the flex areas. If you leave it in place this defeats the purpose, doesn't it ?

Just to remind, here is FSQ106EDXIII sans focuser

Another possibility is; this adaptor may be good for the Captain's Wheel version and wrong for the EDXIII version since they are mentioning 2009 and EDXIII is a more recent incarnation.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: FSQ-106EDXIII F5 Astrograph for Imaging [Re: bilgebay]
      #5635778 - 01/21/13 09:42 PM

Quote:

I believe you would need a longer adapter to get rid of the Captain's Wheel, which is one of the flex areas. If you leave it in place this defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Very much agree...

Quote:

According to SI website, that adapter is "Known To Fit Takahashi FSQ106ED, 2009 or newer" but looking at the pictures below I am not so sure.

Another possibility is; this adaptor may be good for the Captain's Wheel version and wrong for the EDXIII version since they are mentioning 2009 and EDXIII is a more recent incarnation.

Yes, I read that (2009 stuff...) too and I fear the same thing.

Best would be if someone could just buy ONLY $149.00 adapter [A35-503-FSQ106ED...] and check if it even fits EDXIII? [...and return if it didn't]

Any volunteers? I would have tested myself if I had an EDXIII with me.

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5643925 - 01/26/13 08:08 AM

Was wondering if there is a Starlight Instruments vendor resource here on CN that could answer the question whether A35-503-FSQ106ED... adapter will fit EDXIII specifically?

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5686462 - 02/18/13 06:14 AM

Quote:

Was wondering if there is a Starlight Instruments vendor resource here on CN that could answer the question whether A35-503-FSQ106ED... adapter will fit EDXIII specifically?

I contacted Wayne at Starlight Instruments regarding above question, and his answer was "Can you measure the threads on the OTA? This adapter should fit, but if you are able to get me the thread dimension of the OTA, this will allow me to confirm that it will fit."

So now my question is the same for Sedat or anyone who could help answer? Thx

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
38 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10327

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics