Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Criterion Days new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5590034 - 12/26/12 05:30 PM

Quote:

Wow Gil, what an unexpected surprise your article was! Great reading on a rainy night here, beautifully written - thanks!

+1 I would love to see more articles like this one on CN.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PitchHitter

Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Southern Sierras
Re: Criterion Days [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5600297 - 01/01/13 08:39 PM

I appreciate this article and the admission that some Criterion Scopes were good and some were bad because it is extremely important to know fixing most is more than they are worth.

A friend (Bob Goff) from college talked me into becoming a dealer for the SCT series and I regretted every DynaMax I sold. One day a friend had one on display with our club at a local shopping mall when the eyepiece barrel separated from the lip and fell into the scope. I had to remove the corrector plate to retrieve it. There I found out why it performed rather poorly. The corrector was just a piece of tangent(13)cut unfigured green window glass. I first started doing business with a Bob Krewalk and then after all the lies and broken promises I was turned over to a Bob Walker. I told him it was so amazing how much he sounded like Krewalk. Of course it was one and the same! Every DynaMax I sold and several besides had to be repaired and I ended up doing them all on my own dime gratis. By the time I was having problems with the dealership Bob Goff was gone and apologized for getting me into the mess. The only DynaMax I saw that performed well mechanically and optically was Bob Goff's personal one that he went around signing up dealerships with. Meade had a chance to hire me to fix a bunch of their problems too (but didn't). Celestron is the only one that I never saw a problem with. I own a circa 1970 C-8 and a 2000 Meade 10" that after three tries now does very well in a C-11 mount. I would never ever buy a new Meade without inspection. I find DynaMax 8's for $200-$50 but find they are not worth my time. I have a friend that got one ($50) and lucked out. Beyond a common bearing problem (mis-machined) his optics were done when BG was there supervising.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Criterion Days new [Re: JimP]
      #5619254 - 01/12/13 03:15 PM

Quote:

My parents bought me a RV6 in 1974 after I drooled over the ads over the months leading to the purchase.

I & my buddies drooled over those same ads, but never ended up with one. In fact, Gil, i ended up with the same scope YOU started with, the 4-1/4" Edmund Newtonian on an EQ mounting!

Yet the RV-6 (as well as the tantalizing RV-8) was the inspiration for an order placed with Edmund for their 8" kit- blank, tool, & powders. It eventually (and briefly) turned into a working 8" F7 with jaw-dropper views of M57, its "first-light" DSO.

Thanks for taking the time to write (& post) that article- a VERY enjoyable read! A "dream job" it was, indeed!
mike b

lookbackintime

Reged: 03/18/13

Re: Criterion Days new [Re: mrlovt]
      #5740739 - 03/18/13 01:38 PM

I was absolutley amazed to find this article! I still remember waiting what seemed like forever to receive my RV-6. Loved the scope at the time. It engendered a life-long interest in astronomy and physics. Wild to see how they were made. Thanks for the detailed account of your time there.

Bonco
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/17/06

Loc: Florida
Re: Criterion Days new [Re: lookbackintime]
      #5741078 - 03/18/13 04:29 PM Attachment (50 downloads)

Great article and entertaining read. For me Criterion means RV6. Here's mine that I purchased around 1960. The optics are amazing and everything is functional almost like new after some simple restoration efforts. Bill

Gil V
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Re: Criterion Days new [Re: Bonco]
      #5747974 - 03/21/13 04:21 PM

Dude, that RV looks like it left the factory yesterday.

murphb
journeyman

Reged: 08/27/12

Re: Criterion Days new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5789077 - 04/09/13 08:26 PM

Gil, Thanks so much for posting this article. Funny, how our memories are so like fine wine, devoid of pain. It was great to see the pics, and your memories of a mom and pop company. I remember the days of early telescope purchase where a 3 month wait was typical. I, like many others have purchased another cat Dynamax 8, trying to bring back the old days. And these are the old days aren't they now!

GaryM
journeyman

Reged: 12/15/07

Loc: Pennslyvania
Re: Criterion Days new [Re: Gil V]
      #5950505 - 07/01/13 10:49 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this article. Thanks so much Jil!

After always wanting a Dynamax 8, I finally and recently acquired one in really nice condition with its golden pyramid tripod and wedge. The cell was marked 760855 (1976?) and the fork base 2287. Just wondering Jil if maybe you had worked on this one? That would be really cool! Also wondering if at that time the correctors were coated? Just a couple of days ago I viewed Saturn and was thrilled that it gave a very nice image.

Thanks!
Gary

GaryM
journeyman

Re: Criterion Days new [Re: GaryM]
      #5950511 - 07/01/13 10:51 PM

Ooops, misspelled your name, sorry Gil!

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/07/09

Loc: USA
Re: Criterion Days new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #5951327 - 07/02/13 01:11 PM

Quote:

A most interesting read addressing the company's background and evolution from a personal perspective. And I must add that my connection with Criterion products dates almost from their beginnings in the telescope business as in my youth I was the proud owner of one of their very early 4" alt-az head Dynascope Newtonians, the first scope the company ever offered, back about 1956-57. I still have its optics around here some place.

BrooksObs

Like this one on Craigslist? Has photos, sold as an antique. Called a "Vintage Criterion concave lens telescope"

Gil V
sage

Re: Criterion Days new [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5951437 - 07/02/13 02:30 PM

The only way I worked on that scope is if it was returned for some reason. That serial number predates my time in the Dynamax assembly area.

We sent out some of our correctors for coating, perhaps a bit less than half of them. I never was a fan of a coated corrector when I worked there, but I'm glad the one I have now has the MgF2 coating.

GaryM
journeyman

#5952023 - 07/02/13 08:16 PM

Thanks Gil for your reply. Do you think I got one of the original Criterion designed and manufactured correctors before the conflict with Celestron and the redesign?

Gil V
sage

Re: Criterion Days new [Re: GaryM]
      #5953004 - 07/03/13 12:12 PM

There was never any redesign of the corrector that I was aware of. just a payday for a bunch of lawyers, probably.

Norm Meyer
sage

Reged: 02/08/09

Loc: Warren, ME 04864
      #6023822 - 08/13/13 07:47 PM

I bought a Criterion RV-6 back in 1966. I bought it on their
easy payment plan. When it arrived I was a bit disappointed.
I opened the box that contained the tube expecting a white
tube and but it was grey. There was a note inside explaining
they had temporarily run out of the white tubes so they upgraded it to the deluxe tube and it was. It had a beautiful grey krinkle finish I came to really like that
tube. I ended up lending it to a high school student for awhile. Well his brother knocked the tube over
and broke a big chunk out of it. The youngsters father drove down to Hartford (from Palmer MA) to get a replacement tube but all they had were the white ones. So
I finally had a white tube but really missed the grey krinkle one. I ended up selling the scope in 1974 after I
moved to Maine. I really wish I would have kept that scope
but I needed the money at the time. Everytime I see an RV-6
for sale I am tempted to buy it. So far I've been able to resist it for how long I don't know?

Gil V
sage

Re: Criterion Days new [Re: Norm Meyer]
      #6024866 - 08/14/13 11:02 AM

Although the nostalgia factor is there, I would buy a dob - 8" or larger - before I'd buy an RV-6. Not much more, plus it would be all shiny and new!

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
      #6025487 - 08/14/13 04:33 PM

Love my RV-6, waaaaay more stable that a tripod, wish they still made pier mounts. Also hands down the best 6 inch glass I've ever looked through. Wouldn't trade it for the world!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7773

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics