Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
Re: EOS 6D new [Re: Mike Clemens]
      #5607178 - 01/05/13 07:24 PM

Yep
I was fortunate to use my previous license number to just buy the upgrade rather than the full version, but still pricey. Me thinks Adobe likes its customers to support the shareholders but I guess that keeps them in business and make better products in the long run.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
Re: EOS 6D new [Re: mmalik]
      #5607439 - 01/05/13 10:40 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

Does this mean the camera can work on the noise reduction for the previous frame while shooting the next light frame?

NO, I was referring to a very different thing (plus burst mode may not be applicable to long exposures in AP, if I understand it correctly?).

Those with 5DMkIIs, can you folks confirm if there is such a thing as buffering up to five images in the camera and then taking a single dark frame to apply to all of 'em.

No. I dont know where this came from, but I found nothing in my 5DII's manual regarding this...sorry.
This is EVERYTHING in the manual on ICNR..

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: EOS 6D new [Re: nofxrx]
      #5607538 - 01/05/13 11:34 PM

Quote:

No. I don’t know where this came from, but I found nothing in my 5DII's manual regarding this...sorry.
This is EVERYTHING in the manual on ICNR..

Thanks Brent; I didn't find it either after all the looking around. Not sure why the author of S&T article would mention such a thing? Strange. Thx

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: EOS 6D new [Re: jgraham]
      #5607823 - 01/06/13 06:41 AM

Quote:

I've been using Digital Photo Professional to convert my RAW files to TIFF and then load them into Photoshop. The batch mode makes this fairly painless.

Yes...that's my work around too. DPP does a good job.

Quote:

Patrick; I was pretty busy last night with my T2i. I went through 4 batteries (I rotated 3 through my charger), 5 deepsky targets, and ended at about 4 this morning with the moon. I love how versatile this camera is and how Backyard EOS helps to pull it all together.

It was a really nice clear night Friday, and I thought there was a chance you'd take advantage of it. I was out for a little while observing, but don't have all the bits and pieces yet to use the EdgeHD to image with. In typical Ohio fashion, last night was cloudy again, now that my T-adapter and mounting bracket arrived.

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: EOS 6D new [Re: Patrick]
      #5609102 - 01/06/13 07:32 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

overcast here... I at least hooked up the 6D to the TEC200 refractor today and saw that it worked. Tried to do an HDR pic in cam but too much wind to keep a tree in the same place.

This tree appeared jet black in DPP at ISO1600, this is lots of Photoshop levels to pull the colors and details out of the left side of the histogram. Data seems much cleaner than my T2i and light years past the EOS 40D.

Moonwalker1968

Reged: 10/19/09

Loc: Switzerland
      #5617127 - 01/11/13 11:46 AM

Quote:

Those with 5DMkIIs, can you folks confirm if there is such a thing as buffering up to five images in the camera and then taking a single dark frame to apply to all of 'em.

As far as I understand it, if you set long exposure noise reduction to "on" (setting 2) with your Canon 5D Mark II, you can take several long exposures in a row and the noise reduction is applied at the end of that series of long exposures:

After the first long exposure, take the next right away, and so on. If the break between the long exposures is short enough (1-3 seconds or so), the long exposure noise reduction won't be applied until you stop taking long exposures.

Then, if you give the camera a longer break, the noise reduction will be applied to all previously taken images. I think you can even take 10 long exposures in a row.

I have bought a Canon 5D Mark II a few days ago and haven't had a chance to test it through a telescope, but on my balcony it seemed to work. I took three one minute exposures with short breaks between them and the noise reduction didn't start until I gave the camera a longer break. I have yet to measure how much time is needed for the internal dark frame subtraction after e.g. five different three minute exposures. It appears, the camera needs more than three minutes to do that.

Markus

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Re: EOS 6D new [Re: Moonwalker1968]
      #5617944 - 01/11/13 08:22 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

Finally got some (briefly) clear skies and royally screwed up by leaving noise reduction on in the 6D. Here are 5 frames anyway at 5 mins each.

The workflow is horrific. I need all my familiar tools to allow me to select 6D !!!!!! I am mangling my already-noise-reduced-mangled data even further.

I can't even fathom what DSS spit out from it. In the end I used DPP to spit out TIF's which looked processed... I expect nearly black frames but DPP wasn't putting that out.

I need my Maxim...

nofxrx

#5617989 - 01/11/13 08:45 PM

That looks great, Mike!!

Cant wait to see what you doo with your "real" SW!!

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5617992 - 01/11/13 08:45 PM

Decent looking result from 'unmodified' 6D; for comparison, my only 25min integration here.... Thx

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

#5618003 - 01/11/13 08:53 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

Thanks guys. One thing I will say.. coming from the APS-C sensor... this field is HUGE.

Here is a massive scale down of a single image to show the field from the TEC200/9 on a 35mm size sensor:

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

#5618006 - 01/11/13 08:56 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

Field is big enough that extra galaxies are creeping in, that I've never seen on NGC891 shots before. This one from the lower right, presented 1:1 scale from a single frame. It has a tiny little dust lane. Maybe it's like a micro-m65.

nofxrx

#5618019 - 01/11/13 09:04 PM

Having all of that real estate is wonderful, right??

People think that it is pointless to go full frame just because their scope may not be able to fully illuminate, or provide a perfectly flat field all the way to the edges of the massive chips...but, hands down, you will always end up with a better CROPPED image from a FF camera, than an UNcropped image from an APS-C camera(at least with the current models available...)

Mike, do you have an image of 891 taken with the 40D also??
Would be interesting to compare directly..

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Re: EOS 6D new [Re: nofxrx]
      #5618021 - 01/11/13 09:06 PM

Yah http://www.pbase.com/mclemens1969/image/117729846/original

Much more favorable conditions AND SOFTWARE !!!!

~SO~ can't wait to go after M101 with a full frame.

nofxrx

#5619974 - 01/12/13 10:58 PM

That is still very impressive!
If the 40D was able to do that, this 6D should be downright scary good once you get favorable conditions and your software!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3083

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics