Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Upgrading a diagonal on a "MAK-CASS" (??) new [Re: Grandpa Jim]
      #5608464 - 01/06/13 02:04 PM

Actually there was a long thread on this in the Maks section. Adding an external focuser shouldnt affect this scope as its effective aperture is only 117mm anyway, at least that was the consensus in the Mak forum.

i have the 180 version and adding an external Crayford. Akes no difference to the aperture as the true aperture of the s ope is only about 170mm anyway and adding the external focuser and using a 2" diagonal doesnt truncate the light path in any way, though it does increase the focal ratio by a bit.

If you search using my name as a poster in the Maks forum you should find the thread. i dont post much in that forum so it should t be hard to find as a thread.

This issues was much discussed in there and may be food for thought.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Upgrading a diagonal on a "MAK-CASS" (??) new [Re: Grandpa Jim]
      #5608480 - 01/06/13 02:08 PM

Ps I added the external focuser because good as the focuser is on these s opes it does still introduce mirror shift and I found at high mags, heck everything is at high mags in this scope, the mirror shift was driving me nuts. I seemed to spend all night either twiddiling the focuser or bumping the mount to recentre the target.

The advice I got was so long as the EPs field lens was smaller than the exitort on the scope there shouldnt be much in the way of problems. Its kind of aademic to me because ai mostly use Orthos in the Mak.

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Upgrading a diagonal on a "MAK-CASS" (??) new [Re: astro_baby]
      #5608640 - 01/06/13 03:30 PM

PPS heres the thread I mentioned, i couldnt give a link earlief

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5093831/page...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1325

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics