Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
"Another atlas? How many do you need?!" new
      #5601323 - 01/02/13 02:11 PM

Ever get asked that question?
The real answer is, "All of them I can get". Case in point:

I'm looking in Harold Hill's "Portfolio of Lunar Drawings". On page 201, there's a wonderful drawing of "Piccolomini and the Southern Rupes Altai" (I wish they'd go back to "Altai Scarp"). A beautiful rendition! I decide I'd like to check it against an atlas to get a more detailed, less artistic view. I look through:

- Times Atlas of the Moon
- Rukl Moon Atlas
- Clementine Lunar Atlas
- Hatfield Lunar Atlas
- NASA Atlas of the Solar System
- Kaguya Lunar Atlas

... and a couple of others. The only place I found a half-decent representation of that entire area was in the atlas portion of "The Moon" by Patrick Moore (Rand McNally, 1981); and that's not really a very good view, either. All the other atlases had that area chopped up between two or three charts. The Hatfield atlas had it, but not at a good enough scale to see anything. LAC chart #96 (which I've downloaded) comes close, but cuts the crater in half.

So there it is! They all cut up the subject in different ways, and you need as many atlases as possible to increase your chances of getting the view you're looking for. (I know, you could use Google Moon; but I don't really use things like that much.)

So if your CFO asks "Do you really need another atlas of the same thing?", the correct answer is "Absolutely! It's imperative that I get a copy of _______ as quickly as possible!"
(My CFO has never asked this question, BTW; but I know it happens.)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BPO
sage

Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
Re: "Another atlas? How many do you need?!" new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5601571 - 01/02/13 04:49 PM

Quote:

So if your CFO asks "Do you really need another atlas of the same thing?"...

Yeah, because chick books aren't all exactly the same. When you see a bookcase jammed with Harlequin romance novels, and Daniel Steele novels, and all that other high quality literature for women, you'd be in no way justified saying they were all the same.

Right?

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: "Another atlas? How many do you need?!" new [Re: BPO]
      #5601862 - 01/02/13 08:04 PM

Just have books & eyepieces shipped to your work!
:-)

PJ Anway
Double-Star Observer

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: North Coast
Re: "Another atlas? How many do you need?!" new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5601949 - 01/02/13 08:53 PM

Rick,

There is always an on-line atlas.
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/lunar_orbiter/bin/info.shtml?177

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: "Another atlas? How many do you need?!" [Re: PJ Anway]
      #5602243 - 01/03/13 12:49 AM

Thanks, PJ - that's exactly the picture I was trying to find. I've bookmarked this site.

But, I don't really use online resources like this for two reasons:

1) My slow internet connection. That picture took 1m 45s to download. Gah! Probably another good reason for me to take a bold step forward into the 20th century. And, that zoom feature is hard to beat.

2) It just doesn't feel the same to me, seeing it on a screen. It's hard to explain, but I think several here feel the same. I have the Virtual Moon program (is that the right name?), but I don't use it either. I don't take a computer with me to the observatory, and only rarely to my study station (my library, the couch in the living room, or wherever). I need books. (I probably need therapy, too. )

But I should find a copy of this atlas in hardcopy. It obviously has a lot to recommend it! (But I wish it didn't have those lines.)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 480

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics