Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
CeleNoptic
sage

Reged: 12/20/07

Loc: Cloudy East Coast
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: John Huntley]
      #6241961 - 12/09/13 02:14 AM

Thanks everybody for your input, it's really helpful.

Hesiod,
thanks a lot for your generous report, that's exactly what I needed to know. I guess, I'll put VT ortho on the top on my list. But I feel, I need to do more research how to discriminate between them. There are a huge variety of the VTs, like Tani, Towa, KD etc , so, I probably will take my time and research their pedigree. And the 6mm BCO will be #2 on my list. The only thing that bothers me is that I've already read about slightly more scatter in BCOs as compared to BGOs on planets. Although, the price is tempting... will see . As for the DSO EPs I'll try to decide between the 18mm BCO and the 17-20mm Sterling/High Grade plossls to be added to my DSO set. They, seem, all have rectilinear distortion (pear- or football-shaped planetary disks off-axis), but have excellent light transmission for deep sky observing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hesiod
sage

Reged: 01/13/13

Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: CeleNoptic]
      #6242461 - 12/09/13 11:35 AM

I hope I have not made too many mistakes in grammar and the meaning was understood .
The difference in scattering control between BCO and Tani is far lesser than the difference between BCOs and many others EPs in their price range (in this regard the BCO seems to me more close to the premium EPs...).
I know that Mr Tani produced many different batches of his orthoscopic Abbe eyepieces, and it is possible that over time the coatings are changed (i do not know to which batch mine belong).
Anyway, in your Dob the extra field provided by a BCO is a nice feature, and some could find it more useful than an even lower scattering.
As for the DSOs I must admit I am biased toward the "narrow aFOVs" (but some time ago, not very much indeed, a 50° EP was a "wide angle".. ), but the most would prefer the more "immersive" experience provided by a SWA, like the (very) nice Edge On or one of the many sold by all the main brands

JustaBoy
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/19/12

Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: Hesiod]
      #6242539 - 12/09/13 12:23 PM

Hesiod,

Your English is very good - Please tell us more Anytime!

Thank you,
-Chuck

CollinofAlabama
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: JustaBoy]
      #6243730 - 12/09/13 09:56 PM

Your English is fine, Hesiod, but I'm with Huntley on this. I did some daylight Barlow testing some years ago, and none of the eyepieces I tested showed stray light like my two UO volcano tops. There was a ring of fire of stray light around both my 12.5 and 7mm models. No other eyepiece I tested, TV Plossls, TMB Planetaries, none of them displayed any significant flaring except the Japanese volcano tops, and both of mine did. I don't own the BCO 6mm (only the 10mm). I'd bet a dime to a dollar from what I've seen the BCOs will manage stray light better than the volcano tops.

Mis dos centavos

blackhaz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/20/06

Loc: Prague, Czech Republic
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: CollinofAlabama]
      #6353752 - 02/03/14 05:08 PM

Just had a chance to briefly compare scatter levels of 18mm Baader Classic Ortho vs the mighty SMC Pentax O-18. The BCO exhibited just a little bit more scatter than the Pentax. They were really close. Method of comparison was two eyepieces in the Mark V, on a bright star and then judging the size of the scattered light cloud in relation to nearby faint stars with averted vision. I know this is probably very subjective to quantify this observation in numbers, but if Pentax' scatter cloud was at about 40% distance from the bright star to the faint star then the BCO was at about 50%. It wasn't too far behind and later on this night it has rendered absolutely phenomenal and breathtaking Jupiter at 358X mag in the 10" MCT. Color rendition was superb. For the money I think BCO is a steal.

My complains on the BCO are as following:

1) Soft field stop. The AFOV is also huge, if compared to the Pentax SMC or benchmark orthoscopic eyepieces like CZJ. If I would be Baader, I wouldn't expand the AFOV or at least I wouldn't call it "Classic".

2) Wing eyeguards. Of course this is subjective but I like minimal look more than rubber. Thanks to a chance, standard 1.25" cap serves as a good lens cap if the rubber part is removed.

3) The eye lens is sunken a little bit and it fogs up more easily than Pentax SMC or 16mm TMB SMC. I would place it right there at the surface.

But who am I to design eyepieces? BCO is a fantastic value and a gift from Baader to all amateurs I think. Just a small piece of observation.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14957

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics