Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
giantfan92

Reged: 01/01/13

2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST
      #5603083 - 01/03/13 02:07 PM

Hello everyone this is my first post on this forum!
First of all let me say that this nexstar 6se is absolutely a blast and I am already hooked on this hobby just two weeks in!!!

I have heard some conflicting information about installing a 2" diagonal on my nexstar 6se.(Telescopes.com beleives it does not accept a 2" diagonal). So after hearing this I decided to go ahead and purchase two 1.25" EP's.
Baader hyperion 21mm(I've heard it goes to 2") and Edmund 28mm RKE

I viewed a 2" on a friends dob and I have to say I was impressed with the comfort of the EP and I would like the ability to upgrade to nicer EP's on my nexstar in the future (Cost is not a big factor for me)

Would you guys recommend that I upgrade to a 2"? Or better than that do you guys even think a 2" is compatible?

Any help would be awesome I am already completely in love with this hobby and forum and I greatly appreciate any replies!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
giantfan92

Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: giantfan92]
      #5603107 - 01/03/13 02:18 PM

Oh let me also note that I do have a power-pack and a dew shield after I saw a lot of people recommending them. Dew shield comes in tomorrow!

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #5603112 - 01/03/13 02:23 PM

Hi giantfan92 and welcome to the forum!

The 6SE will definitely accept a 2" diagonal. You'd want to get an SCT-type diagonal that threads directly onto the rear cell. You remove your current visual back piece, and install the diagonal instead. Nearly all 2" diagonals come with a 1.25" adapter so you'll be able to use your 1.25" eyepieces too.

Note that for any 1.25" eyepiece, there will be no advantage in moving to a 2" diagonal. So, while your Baader 21mm Hyperion will indeed fit into a 2" diagonal (with or without an adapter), the view you see through it will be the same as with a 1.25" diagonal.

There are 2 advantages of a 2" diagonal. One is that it is a more secure connection to the scope for larger eyepieces, cameras, binoviewers, and other heavier accessories. The other advantage is that it allow you to use 2" eyepieces.

As you buy eyepieces with longer focal lengths and wider views, you reach a point where it will no longer fit into a 1.25" barrel. In the Baader lineup, a 24mm/68 eyepiece is at this maximum. To achieve any wider view, the eyepiece needs to be designed as a 2" rather than a 1.25". And of course if the eyepiece is designed as a 2", then it needs a 2" diagonal.

The Baader combo eyepieces, with the 1.25"/2" design, are really just 1.25" eyepieces. They have a 2" part to the outer barrel so that they fit into a 2" diagonal without an adapter, but the optics are designed to fit into a 1.25" barrel.

-Dan

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5603118 - 01/03/13 02:28 PM

Hi Giant, a warm welcome to the NexStar forum.

Yes, the 6SE will accept a 2" diagonal as shown here in this photo of my 6SE on the rear patio at home. As Dan says, you need a diagonal that has an SCT threaded locking-ring.

Also seen in this photo is a skylight filter (which is between the diagonal and the rear cell of the scope - which is why there are TWO locking rings) my RACI finder (behind the scope) and, on the top, a multi-reticle finder (much better than the standard red-dot finder IMHO). The EP is a Celestron Ultima 35mm.

Art

giantfan92

Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5603128 - 01/03/13 02:32 PM

Wow!! I really appreciate the quick reply both of you guys!! What 2" diagonal would you guys reccomend?

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

#5603134 - 01/03/13 02:35 PM

William Optics 2" Carbon Fibre

Link: 2" WO Carbon Fibre Diagonal

Art

jhirsch
sage

Reged: 10/06/10

Loc: Ohio
      #5603150 - 01/03/13 02:43 PM

FIrst off welcome aboard giantfan92. As you already know you've found THE site to grow your understanding and appreciation of the night sky.

Now to your questions.... Yes you can attach a 2" diagonal to a 6se. However there are a few things to consider.

1. Be careful of the clearance of the diagonal to the base while pointed at zenith.
2. While a 2" diagonal will allow you to obtain a slightly larger FOV there is no way the 6se can compete w a dob when it comes to wide views. Just can't break the laws of physics....
3. If I remember correctly I thought I had read somewhere that there are/were issues with the threads on the 2" Astro-Tech diagonals. maybe someone else can chime in on that. I have a 2" GSO and it threads on just fine. The threads are very fine so when attaching be careful that you don't cross thread it.
4. Possibly consider a focal reducer also. Drawback to the focal reducer is it WILL cause diagonal/base clearance issues when pointed at zenith unless some slight modifications are done to the dove tail. You can find them in the Links and Best of the Celestron NexStar Fourm.

Again Welcome aboard and Clear Skies

Jerry

giantfan92

#5603166 - 01/03/13 02:55 PM

Thanks for the reply! What exactly would the benefits of a focal reducer be for this scope? Sorry for the newborn questions I'm on my phone at work!

jturie

Reged: 11/19/12

Loc: Valley Forge, PA
      #5603169 - 01/03/13 02:57 PM

Quote:

Hi Giant, a warm welcome to the NexStar forum.

Yes, the 6SE will accept a 2" diagonal as shown here in this photo of my 6SE on the rear patio at home. As Dan says, you need a diagonal that has an SCT threaded locking-ring.

Also seen in this photo is a skylight filter (which is between the diagonal and the rear cell of the scope - which is why there are TWO locking rings) my RACI finder (behind the scope) and, on the top, a multi-reticle finder (much better than the standard red-dot finder IMHO). The EP is a Celestron Ultima 35mm.

Art

Art--very nice setup. Can you supply the details of your RACI and the finder? What are they and how did you attach both of them to the 6SE?

Not thrilled with my red dot, and am looking for alternatives.

giantfan92

Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: jturie]
      #5603203 - 01/03/13 03:12 PM

Great info guys! I want to upgrade to the 2" because I see myself buying like a 12" dob after I learn the skies really well.

Art, that is a very attractive looking scope!

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#5603317 - 01/03/13 04:25 PM

Hi giantfan92,

Pretty much any of the major brands of 2" diagonal will do. Just be sure to get one that's has a dielectric coating. That makes the mirror surface much harder and resistant to scratches from cleaning. You DON'T need a "quartz dielectric", just "dielectric coating".

Some of the well known, reasonably priced brands are GSO, Astrotech, and William Optics. You probably won't see one bit of difference between the brands when you're looking through them. But the William Optics is just cooler looking on the outside! (costs more too, unfortunately).

-Dan

giantfan92

#5603357 - 01/03/13 04:50 PM

Thanks Dan! I will most certainly be purchasing one of those. I've had almost as much fun buying more stuff for my scope as I have had observing lol!

jhirsch
sage

Reged: 10/06/10

Loc: Ohio
      #5603364 - 01/03/13 04:56 PM

giantfan92

#5603412 - 01/03/13 05:37 PM

Hey guys this looks like a really good buy!

Any opinions?

http://agenaastro.com/gso-2-90-99-quartz-dielectric-sct-mirror-diagonal.html

Edit: Would you guys recommend a particular barlow with this?

Lots of questions forgive me!

Edited by giantfan92 (01/03/13 05:49 PM)

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #5603424 - 01/03/13 05:51 PM

I have this one which works fine with the 2" diagonal on my 6SE.

http://agenaastro.com/gso-2-2x-ed-barlow-lens.html

giantfan92

Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #5603431 - 01/03/13 05:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks! I was actually just looking at this, its good to hear from someone with the same scope.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#5603511 - 01/03/13 06:49 PM

Hi giantfan92:

That GSO model from Agena Astro will work fine. Nice thing about Agena is that they nearly always have free shipping.

I have the same barlow that Eddie mentioned above, and it is an excellent quality barlow for a good price. Someone here on Cloudy Nights did a comparison of 2" barlows a while back and this one came out even with or slightly ahead of some much more expensive models.

Seems to be out of stock now at Agena, but if I remember correctly, it was around $60 or so.

-Dan

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

#5603535 - 01/03/13 07:03 PM

It also comes with a 1.25" adapter. Both have brass compression rings.

giantfan92

Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #5603555 - 01/03/13 07:19 PM

Quote:

Just bought this gso 2" 90 deg, seems like a great price! I have been googling that barlow a ton but I cant seem to find it! Now on to 2" eye peices... I'm gonna be hooked up!

If only it would stop raining lol

giantfan92

#5603584 - 01/03/13 07:39 PM

http://www.opticsmart.com/apertura-2-inch-2x-ed-barlow-lens-with-compression-...

Looks like I am going to settle for this. From everything ive seen it seems like apertura is the same thing as GSO.

Lets hope im right. Anyone have input on apertura?

Thanks!

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

#5603595 - 01/03/13 07:44 PM

Hi Jack

Can't remember the make of the RACI off the top of my head but I'm 99% certain that it is an Antares.

Multi-reticle finder (MRF) is the same kind of finder used as a gunsight with an appropriate quick-release shoe.

Both are screwed into the aluminium casting of the rear cell. The shoe for the RACI (also quick-release) has holes that were of a different spacing to the holes of the Celestron RDF - so I removed the rear cell, drilled and tapped the holes and then replaced the rear cell.

I documented the procedure here: linky-dink

Hope this helps,

Art

giantfan92

#5603629 - 01/03/13 08:00 PM

Quote:

http://www.opticsmart.com/apertura-2-inch-2x-ed-barlow-lens-with-compression-...

Looks like I am going to settle for this. From everything ive seen it seems like apertura is the same thing as GSO.

Thanks!

Just bumping this so people can view on the second page.

chuck56
sage

Reged: 01/21/07

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
      #5603772 - 01/03/13 10:01 PM

Not to highjack the thread but how did you get the ota that far back on the dovetail bar?

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#5603857 - 01/03/13 11:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

Looks like the same one as the GSO to me. Most of these items are sourced from the same far-east manufacturer and just dressed up slightly differently depending on who's selling it.

-Dan

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

#5604112 - 01/04/13 05:33 AM

Hi Chuck

Nothing special. No extra bars/spacers etc. Just pushed the OTA as far forward as it would go until the rear cell fouled on the arm's plastic shroud (cover).

Should I need the OTA to be more forward, I'd need a rail or spacers between the dovetail and the OTA.

Art

giantfan92

#5604190 - 01/04/13 07:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!

Looks like the same one as the GSO to me. Most of these items are sourced from the same far-east manufacturer and just dressed up slightly differently depending on who's selling it.

-Dan

Thanks Dan, looks like I will be grabbing this 2" barlow!

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

#5604840 - 01/04/13 01:44 PM

Well I did upgrade but not to a 2". I got a 1.25" Williams Optic Dielectric. Should be better than the stock diagonal that I was using. Got it for a decent price. May look at moving to a 2" down the road though. Tony

jturie

Reged: 11/19/12

Loc: Valley Forge, PA
Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5605004 - 01/04/13 03:12 PM

Art:

Nice job, but your pics gave me the shakes. No way would I ever have the courage and skillset to do what you did!

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: jturie]
      #5605053 - 01/04/13 03:45 PM

Aw go on, Jack. All I needed was blind ignorance and a screwdriver. Anyone can do that!

Seriously, I reasoned that as long as I asked questions first and documented what I did step-by-step as I disassembled the scope, I should be able to put it back together again.

Thankfully, this cunning plan worked.

What I didn't want to do was entrust an expensive RACI finder to a single retaining screw or an expensive multi-reticle finder to strong double-sided tape (no matter how strong the manufacturer claimed the tape was).

Art

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
      #5607277 - 01/05/13 08:51 PM

i have a 6"se and a meade 8"sct ota that i use on the se mount, works great. ive used my 2" diagonal on the 6" with a 26mm 2" q70 and was not impressed. using it on the 8" was a joy. truly wide field. using it on the 6" i kept getting black outs around the edge of the fov.

hazilim
sage

Reged: 09/11/08

Loc: Arizona
Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: donnie3]
      #5619145 - 01/12/13 02:09 PM

I've used the AstroTech 2" SCT dielectric diag on both the 6SE & 8SE. Quality is great, the price is reasonable, & the diag clears the mount with room to spare.
Bob

giantfan92

Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: hazilim]
      #5628249 - 01/17/13 03:01 PM

Whew, quite a delay in my posting, I mostly have been looking up! I got the GSO Quartz 2" diagonal and I am glad I did because it feels very sturdy. I spent some time (9 hours lol) at a nearby darkspot with a friend and he had a 8" dob but we spent most of the time looking through my nexstar because of the very good goto tracking on it.

In addition to the diagonal I also received a 28mm RKE a 21mm baader hyperion and an 11mm ES 82 degree and wow I am blown away!!!

I feel like for now those EP's will be fine and the only thing I have left to purchase is a 0III filter because I really like looking at dso's.

kkokkolis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Piraeus, Greece
      #5628388 - 01/17/13 04:07 PM

I would recomend a Narrowband UHC filter over an OIII. Not the Baader or Celestron UHC-s (they are Broadband) but something like the Orion Deepsky, Lumicon UHC or Thousand Oaks LP2.
Nice selection of eyepieces, that give the critical 2mm and 1mm exit pupils. Since you have a 2" diagonal and the RKE is narrofield, consider later a Baader Hyperion Aspheric to get more field for some objects.

giantfan92

Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: kkokkolis]
      #5629586 - 01/18/13 09:59 AM

Thank you! After hearing this and reading a huge filter review I will pick up one of these!

FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/30/13

Loc: NYC
      #5899542 - 06/03/13 12:25 PM

Nice pic... how much clearance do you have with the 2" diagonal on the 6SE? What would need to be done in the event you decided to put an f/6.3 onto it?

Edited by FishInPercolator (06/03/13 12:50 PM)

zymon

Reged: 06/27/13

Loc: Singapore
      #5949102 - 07/01/13 04:19 AM

Is it true that if you have a Nestar 6/8 etc, and you get a very wide 2" EP and put it in a 2" diagonal, part of the image will be concealed because the base telescope was designed as a 1.25.
Sorry using very basic lanuage to discribe it as im a neewbie.

hawk
sage

Reged: 03/12/13

Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: zymon]
      #5951824 - 07/02/13 06:05 PM

Edit: Oops, I had listed the baffle size for the 8SE, not 6SE. Thanks for catching my error, Mark! It probably makes a bit more sense to upgrade the 8SE to a 2" than the 6SE.

Edited by hawk (07/03/13 11:53 AM)

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: hawk]
      #5952950 - 07/03/13 11:39 AM

Since we're talking about a 6SE then yes the comment about "designed for 1.25" is very appropriate. The baffle tube opening is just under 27mm.

While an C8 ota has a larger rear opening, the SE scopes in general are not really intended for 2" accessories. Base clearance, counterbalancing, overall weight carrying capacity are all oriented towards the smaller lighter 1.25" stuff. Can you use 2" stuff, sure, but the point is the overall scope package wasn't designed with that capability in mind.

Personally I wouldn't go out and spend the extra money on new 2" accessories for either a 6 or 8SE unless I intended to use heavy stuff like binoviewers. Put some existing 2" stuff to good use, sure, but an SCT f6.3 focal reducer, a 1.25" dielectric mirror diagonal and a good 32mm Plossl or 24mm 68 eyepiece will also produce just about the same width views with very good quality fields.

zymon

Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5954636 - 07/04/13 11:35 AM

Quote:

Since we're talking about a 6SE then yes the comment about "designed for 1.25" is very appropriate. The baffle tube opening is just under 27mm.

While an C8 ota has a larger rear opening, the SE scopes in

Personally I wouldn't go out and spend the extra money on new 2" accessories for either a 6 or 8SE unless I intended to use heavy stuff like binoviewers. Put some existing 2" stuff to good use, sure, but an SCT f6.3 focal reducer, a 1.25" dielectric mirror diagonal and a good 32mm Plossl or 24mm 68 eyepiece will also produce just about the same width views with very good quality fields.

I also wondered about this. Whats the largest and widest EP that will fit on the 6/8SE then. How to say this - erm when you look through the lense how much bigger would the image be if we got a 2" diagonal.

Even if we did get a 2" diagonal you say we would never really get the full use of it. Interesting I read so many posts that have missed this point.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: 2" Diagonal upgrade for Nexstar 6se...FIRST POST new [Re: zymon]
      #5954776 - 07/04/13 01:32 PM

You can physically use any 2" eyepiece on a C6, it's just at the very wide fovs that you won't be fully illuminating the outer field of view (vignetting). Many folks will just go ahead and use 2" gear and enjoy the wider fov and not care about any light drop off (most of us can actually tolerate quite a high percentage of light drop off) and for most that's a reasonable trade off (wider fov vs. some vignetting). I think the math says that just over 1.1 fov the vignetting starts. I often use a 1.75 setup in my C6 and only notice it a bit. With a 2" eyepiece in the 35-40mm range (1.5-1.75) I notice a bit more vignetting than with the 1.25"/focal reducer setup.

One thing you do need to watch for when viewing bright objects (moon, filtered sun, terrestrial in daylight) with long fl 2" eyepieces is the secondary shadow. This shows up as a dark center in the fov.

If all I had was a C6 I personally wouldn't spend the extra money on 2" gear ... I'd just get an SCT f6.3 focal reducer and a few good 1.25" eyepieces. If I had a C8 it would be a tougher decision. You get more benefit from 2" gear on a C8 because the baffle tube on the C8 is larger and therefore there will be less vignetting when you push the limits. A 2" SCT threaded diagonal and a 68 2" eyepiece in the 30-40mm range makes a nice wide field setup. What was often referred to as the ideal setup on a C8 is a Panoptic 35mm eyepiece (it's 38mm field stop exactly matches the baffle tube opening). Today there are many similar great choices in eyepieces for a C8.

Gear "creep" is a nasty little thing to watch for when upgrading. First it's a 2" diagonal and eyepiece, then to reuse the 2" diagonal on another scope you choose a 2" barrel model, then that means you'll also need a 2" visual back on the SCT. 2" eyepieces usually mean 2" filters so you'll end up duplicating filters, etc. etc. etc.

Before you take the plunge it's a good idea to work out what the actual benefit is vs. the costs.

Edited by mclewis1 (07/04/13 09:28 PM)

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

#5954842 - 07/04/13 02:18 PM

My measurements from a few years ago show that the maximum FOV using 2" accessories is 1.32 using a 32mm 68 EP from Agena.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3619392/page...

FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/30/13

Loc: NYC
      #5955755 - 07/05/13 09:31 AM

Mark, I have to concur

zymon

#5957610 - 07/06/13 02:09 PM

Also I see that my 1.25 diagonal is very close to the bottom of the mount when I have the tube pointing up vertically. The clearance is soo small I doubt any 2" will fit.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3046

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics