Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Upgrade 10" to 12"-is this worth? new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5673835 - 02/11/13 11:05 AM

Regarding the discussion of cool down... Viewing through a scope that is cooling down is like observing in less than perfect seeing... there is no reason to wait if the skies are dark and there are no clouds. Pick your targets based on usable magnifications. When the scope is cooled down and thermally stable, push the limits of the seeing. Until then, just have fun.

Jon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Upgrade 10" to 12"-is this worth? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5673858 - 02/11/13 11:19 AM

A few BIG questions to ask yourself before getting a truss dob:
1. are you a clutz?
2. Do you drop things easily?
3. Is seven years bad luck cumulative, or consecutive?

If you know the answer to #3 already, chances are a truss dob is not for you....

stratocaster
sage

Reged: 10/27/11

Re: Upgrade 10" to 12"-is this worth? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5674097 - 02/11/13 01:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"Knowing what I think I know now, if I had to get a new scope all over again I'd definitely go with a 12" or 12.5" truss dob from a high end manufacturer - and perhaps an 8" solid tube as a goto scope for the back yard."

Anyone with a large truss tube scope needs some kind of grab-n-go for the back yard, and I would suggest that that backyard scope be no larger than 10". Anything in the 6 - 10" could work (or a 4" refractor) depending on your situation.

Some nights you won't observe at all if your only choice is to assemble and collimate a truss scope.

A fast 4 inch refractor on an alt-az mount is a great companion for a larger scope... I agree that a smaller scope is almost a necessity but one can leave a truss Dob assembled in the garage and just roll it out to use it.

Jon

I actually do have a 4" f7 refractor on an alt-az mount as my grab n go, and it does complement the 10" solid tube dob perfectly. If I did things over again and got a slightly larger truss, though, I wonder if my GnG would have been a smaller dob or a 4" refractor. I dunno. The refractor is awfully nice, though.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Upgrade 10" to 12"-is this worth? new [Re: stratocaster]
      #5674328 - 02/11/13 04:13 PM

Quote:

If I did things over again and got a slightly larger truss, though, I wonder if my GnG would have been a smaller dob or a 4" refractor. I dunno. The refractor is awfully nice, though.

4 inch F/7 refractors on alt-az mounts have capabilities a Newtonian doesn't. They are just so handy, they provide nice, wide fields of view... few thermal issues, nice for terrestrial viewing.

Jon

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4421

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics