Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Jobryant
sage

Reged: 01/13/09

Re: ES 25mm 100 AFOV Shipped new [Re: DRodrigues]
      #5771954 - 04/01/13 11:21 PM

Yes I only tested it out during the day. I probably would have kept it if it had been a bit more digiscoping friendly. I've have used a 17mm Ethos for my daytime viewing but that was a few years ago with a different scope. I really liked the Ethos during the day and the only reason why I got rid of it was the magnification was too much for my liking. I prefer mags no higher then 20x.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: ES 25mm 100 AFOV Shipped new [Re: Fred1]
      #5774945 - 04/03/13 09:08 AM

Quote:

Thanks, Don. That's what I did, but perhaps it's the rectilinear distortion of the EP (plus my own slight astigmatism) that's having me waffle between C and D. I used a 24mm Pan set to D and focused before inserting the ES 25mm. I should be able to spend more time on it Wednesday night when I'm out with my 18".

It's setting B same with the 9mm and 20mm ES 100° eps. The 20mm and 25mm are roughly parfocal, the 9mm is not. BTW, I REALLY like the 25mm. I believe it will be my most used wide field ep. Same TFOV a my TV 31mmNT5 but with a more comfortable exit pupil, slightly better contrast with darker background. My first night with it was superb with not nearly as much outer field distortion as I expected. it's really a non-issue for me. Although the Orion Nebula was setting and it was still twilight the E and F stars were readily visible with plenty of detail in the nebula. NO filter in play. It's a keeper. Best SQM reading last night where I was was 5.56 NELM. Should be able to get to a darker site tonight with at least 6.0 skies.

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: ES 25mm 100 AFOV Shipped new [Re: Fred1]
      #5775906 - 04/03/13 04:13 PM

Quote:

BTW, I REALLY like the 25mm. I believe it will be my most used wide field ep. Same TFOV a my TV 31mmNT5 but with a more comfortable exit pupil, slightly better contrast with darker background.

I appreciate this statement as I just reluctantly traded my venerable 31T5 for an ES 25/100 for the same reasons. I can't afford to have both at once so I hope my experience mimics yours when used in my dob. I hope to have it by Friday in order to take it to our messier marathon this weekend.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10839

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics