Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1
drbyyz
sage

Reged: 11/04/12

Owl Nebula
      #5605969 - 01/05/13 02:55 AM

Observed this for the first time in awhile. Seeing and Transparency were both pretty poor but I had no problem finding and observing the nebula using my 26mm ep(roughly 77x).
But here is what's weird. I could distinctly make out what appeared to be a pacman shape "eating" a star(the only one visible in the nebula). The star was located in what would be the cutout triangle that is pacman's mouth. (If this description isn't working for you, I can try a crude sketch). The problem is, looking at pictures of this nebula, that observation just doesn't seem to fit.

Maybe it was all in my head, but it made for a fun sight!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Owl Nebula new [Re: drbyyz]
      #5606080 - 01/05/13 07:28 AM

Sounds to me like a contrast illusion. The brightness of the star made the nebula seem fainter.

drbyyz
sage

Reged: 11/04/12

Re: Owl Nebula new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5606505 - 01/05/13 12:30 PM

Quote:

Sounds to me like a contrast illusion. The brightness of the star made the nebula seem fainter.

Possibly, the star was very faint though. Guess I'll give it another shot when the skies are a little better and maybe do a sketch.

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: Owl Nebula new [Re: drbyyz]
      #5609668 - 01/07/13 06:18 AM

I find the Owl one of the fainter PNe under London LP even when imaged [below]. Also there are 3 stars within the nebula of similar brightness - the central one is associated with Owl

Feidb
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: Owl Nebula new [Re: nytecam]
      #5609842 - 01/07/13 09:59 AM

Sometimes, depending on transparency and contrast, you might not see both eyes, may see only one, or may see a solid shape. Between those extremes, you might very possibly get the Pacman variation you're talking about. It wouldn't surprise me at all. Even in my 16-inch, I've had as many variations. The Owl is very conditions-dependent. It's a delicate object.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 603

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics