Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
JustinLT

Reged: 07/25/12

Re: Icodome now converting DSLRs to true monochrom new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5798496 - 04/14/13 02:33 PM

Would be nice if you could post the flat picture as well.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Icodome now converting DSLRs to true monochrom new [Re: JustinLT]
      #5799754 - 04/15/13 12:57 AM

maybe the flat looks terrible and would turn off potential customers.

but the reality is even terrible looking flats subtract out nicely.

JustinLT

#5800033 - 04/15/13 08:58 AM

Well, if they are willing to attract more customers, there are few main steps they need to do:
1. Provide the unprocessed picture (already done). From this we saw, how the process negatively affects the sensor. Without further details, this will hold many folks back from buying this modification.
2. Provide the flat samples of at least 2 cameras. In this way the community will see, what is the actual damage to the sensor and how the debayering process affects the image quality.
3. Provide a flat subtracted and processed image. Would be even more convenient, if community could have a chance to process few light images + few flat images, so people that are interested could see, how the technique works for them on this current mod.

Well, at least this is my thinking. I was one step close to make an order, before I saw the signs of bayer removal. I did some digging on the internet, so one guy used a dremmel with sponge and some abbrasive material to wipe the microlenses and CFA, the daylight mono pictures looked realyl nice, but once he posted a flat, it was terrible as there were visible uneven patterns of polishing.
I suppose more convenient way is to use some chemical solutions, as the CFA are polymers and can be decomposed, but not sure if this does not affect the photodiodes underneath. Would be interesting as well to hear, what technique is being used (if not a big secret, but it must be either polishing or chemical treatment), but even solutions are leaving micro particles on the sensor as none of them is 100% pure.

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

Reged: 12/07/05

Loc: Toronto
      #5800506 - 04/15/13 01:07 PM

Hi Justin (?),

I'll be happy to provide some flats examples. Just a little busy with my regular job. I have no problem revealing that this a solvent based process because that is the simple part of it. The rest of the procedure requires surgical skills performed under a microscope with the stress that one false move could ruin several hundred dollars worth of DSLR!

regards,

Jim

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Icodome now converting DSLRs to true monochrom new [Re: Jim Chung]
      #5801985 - 04/16/13 04:29 AM

Let me guess... using a needle to gently scrape off the softened bayer layer under a binocular microscope?

Doesn't sound like a great deal of fun... and doesn't seem terribly profitable either (unless you've gotten it to the point that you can perform the operation quickly, from long experience) - or, like that guy who carves statues and scenery out of matchsticks, you like the challenge

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/incredible-miniatures-carved-from-matchstic...

I think that's the reason why Maxmax charges $2000 for a modded Canon 450D...

JustinLT

#5807162 - 04/18/13 05:06 PM

Well, the most accurate job would be to use oxygen plasma reactor and do the same descumming process as it is done during litography of the sensor. Sometimes it is good to think "go back to the start", as you can remove the bayer matrix the same way it was done during litography. I don't think something would be more accurate than a particle based process. Oh, and oxygen plasma affects polymer based materials (like CFA), but does not affect the glass. If I'm not mistaken, there is a thin glass layer below the CFA aray to cover the photodiodes.
Well, small issue: you would only require about 10k+ USD for the mini lab grade plasma reactor, though it's not that much. Well, I'm sure smart guys can do it at home, you need to create vacuum and some electromagnetic field and flow oxygen through it (some even tried to do nuclear reactors ). Bus someone interested in the mono DSLR business could consider this option. Maybe MaxMax guys are doing the same, but I think it's solvent as well.
I'm not sure, but with such equipment maybe it would be possible even to create mini lens arrays, as you lose some QE when you remove those, but it would be terribly difficult process to measure. So, plasma etched mono sensor+minilens array(if possible, but hardly)+decent cooling technology and you have something relatively close to CCD camera. Now what would be the difference between APS-C size DSLR and same size CCD camera? What about full frame sensor? Price difference would be 5-10 times (depending on DSLR and CCD). Here's the business plan on the table.
Now, who is smart and brave enough to do that?
Oh, and I know those plasma guys can help and determine if it works by doing tests on their lab. I suppose all you need is several broken sensors and few for final tests.
Damn... I talk too much...

poita

Reged: 07/25/11

#5977070 - 07/17/13 11:51 PM

If I can see some flats, then I am in!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11053

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics