Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Questar Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
troberts

Reged: 06/25/12

Re: Need some help with "old Questar" new [Re: troberts]
      #5318718 - 07/15/12 11:28 AM

I want to thank everyone for your thoughts and recommendations. We will be taking the scope back to Questar this coming week in order to have it evaluated and refurbished as needed. I have spoken with Jim Reichert several times and will be meeting with him regarding thus acquired family surprise and we were even more elated to
find that Questar had historical letters between my wife's uncle and Questar that were in their archive records, which we will secure from them when we meet face to face. Thank you everyone for all your assistance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

#5318825 - 07/15/12 12:37 PM

Nice !!

Foggy Mesa

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Nipomo, CA
      #5329899 - 07/22/12 02:47 PM

I had my 3.5 Duplex (OTA only -"Field Model") out this weekend - Mt. Pinos (8300 ft.) on a Byer's CamTrak Mount.
At that darkness and elevation, galaxies had equivalent resolution to much larger instruments - just not as bright of course. Be sure to get Televue eyepiece adapter so you can use 1 1/4 inch eyepieces with it. I had it serviced once about 15 years ago - I optioned for the sky chart dew shied add-on. This has been my grab and go scope since I inherited mine back in early 80's - have to use it!

Brian RisleyModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/04/06

Loc: SW Florida
Re: Need some help with "old Questar" new [Re: Foggy Mesa]
      #5330195 - 07/22/12 06:27 PM

Welcome Foggy!
Great to hear how well your 3.5 is doing.
Brian

troberts

Re: Need some help with "old Questar" new [Re: Brian Risley]
      #5376471 - 08/19/12 07:35 PM

To all who have offered information, I wish to extend my thanks.
We did meet with Jim Reichert at Questar and got a clean bill of health regarding this inherited family scope.
Since my last post and after securing original purchase records from Questar, we realized that my wife's uncle also had purchased a Linhof tripod and Varitrac. We also came to realize that he had originally purchased the standard Deluxe model, but subsequently had it converted to a Duplex two years later.
We have done more searching through my wife's parents home and have located the Linhof tripod, but not the Variac. I know the Variac has been replaced with the Power Guide system, but was wondering if any one had a photo or can describe what the Variac looked like.
It is possible it is still at my in laws home, but we don't know what we are looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

#5377347 - 08/20/12 11:31 AM

My familiarity with a 'Variac' is it is a large rheostat that allows control of the amplitude of wall outlet AC. It does not allow control of the AC frequency. So, I'm not sure how it would be used with a Questar.

The term 'Varitrac' is not something I have heard of.

Cheers,

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
      #5377727 - 08/20/12 02:49 PM

A Company7 webpage explains the early Questar Varitrac and shows some pictures (click here).

troberts

Re: Need some help with "old Questar" new [Re: JimK]
      #5378046 - 08/20/12 05:28 PM

The term should have been Varitrac not Variac (I really hate auto correct spelling software ;-) ) ..... and the old records we secured from Questar show that it was an option back in the sixties.

I will check out the webpage link shown above. Thanks.

troberts

Re: Need some help with "old Questar" [Re: troberts]
      #5606389 - 01/05/13 11:32 AM

I wish to thank everyone on this website forum that provided information to the previous posts/questions that I posed.

We have tracked down an extensive amount of historical information about this inherited telescope. Remarkably, we have also recovered a wealth of original hand written letters that were exchanged between my wife's uncle and Questar, all of which has provided an unbelievable and very personalized insight to the history of this telescope and my wife's uncle.

I did want to clarify one point that seemed to have no logical explanation initially, regarding the serial number of this specific scope.

In particular, I wanted to share this information largely for the benefit of those forum members who have historical interest in vintage Questars and may find themselves in the future trying to assist others regarding questions about S/N for older Q's.

The reason that our inherited duplex Questar does not have the normal serial number naming convention that employs the letters DP within the S/N, is not because Questar did not use the DP designator in the original serial numbers when the duplex was first introduced.

Instead, it is because our duplex began its life as a Standard 3.5, not as a duplex. It was subsequently converted to a duplex several years after its original purchase.

The information was revealed through the extraordinary assistance provided by Jim Reichert and the historical records he retrieved from the Questar archive files. Jim also advised us that there were only a few Standard Q 3.5's that underwent this rather substantive conversion in the early days, following the introduction of the duplex into the marketplace.

This information also demystified, why in the inventory of items associated with the scope that we inherited, there was an original anodized star map dew shield which incidentally did not properly fit on the barrel of our scope.

According to Questar, in order to make this standard to duplex conversion, the optical barrel had to be removed and in the process was no longer salvageable. However, the originally supplied removal dew shield would not have been affected by this surgical conversion.

I hope that someday this bit of historical trivia may be useful to someone on this forum and again I wish to thank all who provided insights to information about this scope along the way.

One last item. To those of you who routinely suggested that we actually use this treasure, rest assured that we have and fully expect to continue to use it.

These suggestions were very easy to succumb to, especially after obtaining a strong re-assurance from Questar that given the exceptional "as found" condition of this scope and with reasonable care, we could expect that this scope should be good for use for the next fifty plus years in addition to its existing half a decade age.

Panotaker
sage

Reged: 09/12/03

Loc: Austin, Texas
      #5623142 - 01/14/13 05:48 PM

That is a great story. I'm glad that you not only got a great scope, but you got all the history to go with it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3926

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics