Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1
mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
Any Other Video Astro Forums ? new
      #5601848 - 01/02/13 07:54 PM

This forum is a great place but I'd like to see if there are other similar forums dedicated to video astronomy anywhere else on the web. I tried a search on Yahoo Groups but didn't find anything good . I'd appreciate some help.
Thanks,
Matt

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Any Other Video Astro Forums ? new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5601905 - 01/02/13 08:35 PM

Matt,

You mean an active current group or forum that's not vendor specific?

I haven't seen one (but that doesn't mean that there isn't one). There's a lot of good info in the Mallincam and Samsung camera Yahoo groups ... you just need to keep your vendor filter in place. Beyond that I've just seen some video specific discussions in some of the astrophotography forums, but it's pretty limited.

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

Re: Any Other Video Astro Forums ? new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5602116 - 01/02/13 10:59 PM

Y! videoastro
The original video astro group, long before vendors produced long-exposure videocams in commercial quantity, people there were doing DIY using 1004x Exview (and the like) board cameras and timed video frame capture (i.e., do not waste time capture identical/redundant video frames).
Most most pleasant part is that very little vendor marketing (some half a cup) there. Nowadays with many vendor-specific forums around, that forum seems be a bit slowed down.

bhuvfe

Reged: 01/14/11

#5602376 - 01/03/13 05:14 AM

Maybe this?
http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/123-video-astronomy/

But it is not as active as this one...

mattflastro

Re: Any Other Video Astro Forums ? new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5602415 - 01/03/13 06:25 AM

Quote:

Matt,

You mean an active current group or forum that's not vendor specific?

I haven't seen one (but that doesn't mean that there isn't one). There's a lot of good info in the Mallincam and Samsung camera Yahoo groups ... you just need to keep your vendor filter in place. Beyond that I've just seen some video specific discussions in some of the astrophotography forums, but it's pretty limited.

Thanks for the answer. I tried to find the Samsung group but there are thousands of Samsung groups , all smart phone oriented of course, thousands of samsung video groups mostly phone oriented , so I just couldn't find the right one. Do you have its exact name , please ?

S.Boerner
sage

Reged: 04/29/10

Loc: Eastern Missouri
      #5602569 - 01/03/13 09:08 AM

That would be: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sdc435club/

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5602799 - 01/03/13 11:38 AM

Quote:

This forum is a great place but I'd like to see if there are other similar forums dedicated to video astronomy anywhere else on the web. I tried a search on Yahoo Groups but didn't find anything good . I'd appreciate some help.
Thanks,
Matt

Videoastro, a Yahoogroup, has been around for years and years and is still kicking.

Stellacam is still around, but is moribund, I guess due to the fact that original Stellacam maker, Adirondack, went out of business and that the new vendor, Cosmologic, has a lower profile and has only participated a time or three.

The premier Yahoogroup is Mallincam, where you can regularly find not only Jack H., but Mr. Rock himself.

Edited by rmollise (01/03/13 11:46 AM)

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Any Other Video Astro Forums ? new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5602809 - 01/03/13 11:45 AM

Quote:

Y! videoastro
The original video astro group, long before vendors produced long-exposure videocams in commercial quantity, people there were doing DIY using 1004x Exview (and the like) board cameras and timed video frame capture (i.e., do not waste time capture identical/redundant video frames).
Most most pleasant part is that very little vendor marketing (some half a cup) there. Nowadays with many vendor-specific forums around, that forum seems be a bit slowed down.

We go back even farther than that (am the current group owner), having been around since folks were playing with camcorders and the legendary PC23C.

mattflastro

Re: Any Other Video Astro Forums ? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5605313 - 01/04/13 06:04 PM

Thanks everybody for all the above very thorough answers .

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
Re: Any Other Video Astro Forums ? [Re: mattflastro]
      #5606777 - 01/05/13 02:59 PM

Starry Dave's Astro Emporium is dedicated to video astronomy and has an active forum section. He has also developed some excellent free video astronomy related programs that are available for download to registered members.

Astro Dave's Astro Emporium

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Pavlich, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 943

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics