Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

Re: Dome rotation automation question new [Re: ErikB]
      #5601562 - 01/02/13 04:40 PM

Quote:

Chris, thanks for your views on this. Further comments are welcome. BTW, has anyone used a dome controller from Foster Systems?

http://fostersys.websitetoolbox.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tandum
sage

Reged: 03/01/10

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
      #5602709 - 01/03/13 10:44 AM

Quote:

The software I acquired back then included Maxim DL and TheSky 6 Pro.

I use SKy6 with the ascom TeleAPI plugin to get it talking to POTH which then talks to an ascom mount and the dome for on screen FOV stuff etc. I also have Maxim 5 connected to POTH so I can use the maxim cattledog to slew to target and pinpoint/sync the object. That way the target name is used as the major part of the filename for each image. That also lets me pulse guide via maxim.

Can't comment on SkyX, don't have it and don't need it ...

ErikB

Reged: 02/05/06

Loc: Central Arizona
Re: Dome rotation automation question new [Re: Tandum]
      #5603901 - 01/03/13 11:42 PM

Lorence, thanks, I see quite a few interesting posts on the foster site you pointed to.

Tandum, that is just the kind of information I was asking for, thank you so much.

Also, I looked at the Exploradome website, and in the price list I see that their rotation packages use Foster controllers. Somehow I had the understanding that they used Maxdome-II, but maybe that was at an earlier time.

frank17601A

Reged: 04/16/11

#5605064 - 01/04/13 03:49 PM

I have a foster systems automation system. It has matured into a dependable option from my exploradome. It also has many built in functions that have proven to be handy, such as switched outlets and relays.

Frank

ErikB

Reged: 02/05/06

Loc: Central Arizona
Re: Dome rotation automation question [Re: frank17601A]
      #5606876 - 01/05/13 03:59 PM

It sounds like the foster systems units are good, but they are certainly not cheap bought separately, and the complete rotation systems from Exploradome with 2 motors seem to be about 3x the price of the controller alone. Did you find a way to cut cost, such as alternative motors, or using a single motor?

Edited by ErikB (01/05/13 04:00 PM)

robininni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/18/11

Loc: Stephenville, TX
Re: Dome rotation automation question new [Re: Christopher Erickson]
      #5850400 - 05/09/13 04:26 PM

I had an awful time with the Foster system (seemed very buggy, would lose connection, get totally screwed up so that even restarting it wouldn't solve the problem--files had to be moved, recreated, etc.), therefore I changed to the MaxDome II and it has worked extremely well.

Rob

robininni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/18/11

Loc: Stephenville, TX
Re: Dome rotation automation question new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5850459 - 05/09/13 04:56 PM

Quote:

TheSkyX (TSX) can control the dome separately in which case you connect the dome and telescope to TSX. TSX will handle synchronising the dome to the scope. The dome add on for TSX is extra.

Or TSX could connect to POTH through the telescope interface and POTH would connect to the telescope and dome. In this case POTH handles the synchronising and TSX knows nothing about the dome. This is the replace CdC with TSX scenario. BTW the current connection from TSX to ASCOM goes through an X2 interface. I'm not sure about TS6, that may need the TeleAPI interface but I've never looked at this.

Hope this helps,

Chris

I have Maxdome II which uses the ASCOM Dome Control. It works very well.

If I got The Sky X (to use with CCD AutoPilot), is there any reason I would want to get the Dome Control Add-on? Such I just continue using the ASCOM Dome Control?

Thanks,

Rob

JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: In the Primordial Soup
Re: Dome rotation automation question new [Re: robininni]
      #5850681 - 05/09/13 07:02 PM

I have TSX and the dome come add on. I have not managed to get it working with my Sirius dome. It crashes TSX so I continue to use MaxDome-II.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2920

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics