Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
tonyb
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/27/05

Loc: WA, USA
Jupiter from the US Pacific NW 01.02.13 new
      #5604422 - 01/04/13 09:59 AM Attachment (70 downloads)

I've not had much luck imaging Jupiter in the US Pacific NW at about 47deg latitude. Videos I've captured at Jupiter's highest point in our sky still typically boil pretty badly. This is my capture from 1.2.13. Captured through Celestron 9.25″ + x3 Barlow [giving around 6,390mm FL] and Imaging Source DBK 31AU03.AS color camera + IC Capture.AS using Y800. Approx 1/38 sec exposure for 60 seconds, frame rate 30, gain 100%. 1,439 frames were aligned and stacked in Registax 6 with wavelet settings:
100 [0.3 denoise, 0.07 sharpen]
100 [0.2 denoise, 0.1 sharpen]
100 [0.44 denoise, 0.1 sharpen]
Linked wavelets at 1,0 step size and saved as TIFF.
Then processed in PShop CS6 for levels, curves, 30% saturation, then applied a High Pass Filter with a Overlay blend mode and radius around 2 and 25% layer opacity. Cropped 50%.
For anyone interested, you can download the 1.5GB video file here. download file

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RedLionNJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/29/09

Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA
Re: Jupiter from the US Pacific NW 01.02.13 new [Re: tonyb]
      #5607177 - 01/05/13 07:24 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Hi Tony - thanks for making the raw AVI available. I have such terrible skies in general (my seeing is REALLY bad for 300+ days of the year) I'm really happy to have the chance to play with anyone's raw data. All I usually get to play with are the JPGs as posted on the forums. Raw AVI data is much better, of course.

I was able to give "your" Jupiter a totally different look by following my regular processing regime. I'm not about to say it's "better", but it's different, to be sure.

best Wishes,
Grant

Edited by RedLionNJ (01/05/13 07:27 PM)

tonyb
professor emeritus

Re: Jupiter from the US Pacific NW 01.02.13 new [Re: RedLionNJ]
      #5607192 - 01/05/13 07:40 PM

Wow! You brought out much more detail! What processing regime did you follow so that I can try and learn more!
Many thanks!
Tony.

zAmbonii
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/19/08

Loc: Ypsilanti, MI
      #5607580 - 01/06/13 12:00 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

Below is my try on the video. With the seeing that crummy, there is really not much you can do with the capture you have, I think. I've attached a screenshot of the wavelet scheme that I used in R6, you can probably do without the first couple of sharpening levels since there arent any resolvable details that small. Other than the wavelets, I did a RGB align in R6. I then went to photoshop and did an autolevels correct and then applied a curve adjustment to give it a more rounded look (probably could do that with a gamma adjust. BTW, I stacked 1200 of the frames.

A couple of things that I think could have helped your capture though, and may have led to a better image.

#1) Capture longer. 60s at 30fps really doesn't give you enough frames to do a decent stack in bad seeing. In bad seeing, I would go to 180s. This gives you more frames to stack, and I would go with the best 50% of those.

#2) If hard drive space is a problem with the longer captures, have you tried FireCapture and use the cutout function? It will only save the smaller box you place around the planet. Would say to use a smaller resolution or ROI, but it doesn't look like your camera does that :/.

tonyb
professor emeritus

Re: Jupiter from the US Pacific NW 01.02.13 [Re: zAmbonii]
      #5607605 - 01/06/13 12:14 AM

Awesome! Thanks so much for working on the video and for the capturing advice. I'll take another crack at the video too in R6. Poor seeing aside, it's still a ton of fun trying to squeeze out some detail.
Thanks again. Tony.

RedLionNJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/29/09

Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA
      #5608108 - 01/06/13 11:17 AM

I think I'm largely echoing zAmbonii here, but my "normal" regime starts with the capture itself. If the seeing is 2/5 or less, I don't usually even bother trying for hi-res. On those nights where I can get a sharp definition on the NEB or SEB, or can easily see the GRS hollow, I try to capture as much data as I can.

Like zAmbonii, I also use FireCapture with its cutout, histogram and autoguiding functionality. If I'm trying for a longer capture in good seeing, I'll also enable derotation, but I'm unconvinced this helps much. I do try for a large image scale, though - somewhere in the F20-F30 range.

Then I'll stack in Autostakkert. I estimate the level of detail and on a good night will set the Noise Robust to 2. Then I'll set my stack count to only stack the frames above a 70% quality level (in an ideal world). Some nights there aren't too many like that, so I have to compromise to bring in as many frames as necessary to have a positive enough impact on the S/N ratio. I really try to not have less than about 800 frames per stack.

Once I have a stack (it usually takes a few iterations to get an optimal one), I move onto Registax, where I auto-balance the colors if doing OSC, sometimes stretch the histogram a little and then apply sharpening. On a really good capture, I only diddle with the top wavelet setting, typically moving the slider along to an initial level of 80%, then increasing the Sharpen until noise becomes too evident, at which point I increase the Denoise, then after that it's a matter of adjusting all three to optimize the detail without too much intrusive noise.

If the seeing was less than good, I sometimes skip the top slider altogether as it has no impact. In that case, I apply the same sort of adjustments to the 2nd-to-top slider. On very rare occasions, I've seen a benefit from using more than one slider. Your data above, funnily enough, was one of these occasions, just like zAmbonii found.

Once the detail is maximized in Registax6, I save as a TIF and move onto either PS, MaximDL (or GiMP, if I'm not out in my observatory). Since GiMP is free, I'll describe the approximate process for that one.

Using the G'Mic plugin, I play with the Sharpen (deconvolution) settings to bring out as much detail with only a little noise. Then using the Smooth (anisotropic) adjustment in the same plugin, I smooth out the noise just a tad, trying not to take away any of the fresh detail I just brought out.

Then I unsharp mask at something like (3,0.6) followed by a Gaussian blur at 1.0, then another unsharp mask at (1,0.5). I also execute any slight tweaks in gamma or color here.

On my own images, my last move is to rescale down (I prefer to capture at large scales), followed by a final unsharp mask at (1,0.5). Tada.

Grant

tonyb
professor emeritus

#5608248 - 01/06/13 12:22 PM

Hi there - thanks so much. I learned a lot from this thread. Key learnings for me is the notion that the top level wavelet, affecting small details might not have much of a sharpening effect from a capture taken in poor seeing. Second, capture for more time in poor seeing even if Jupiter rotates faster than other planets: the poor seeing will possibly override any rotation blurring.
Thanks again!

tonyb
professor emeritus

#5608967 - 01/06/13 06:06 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

I took another stab at two of the captures form that night. Thanks again for the pointers - the wavelet settings were the same on these and then level, curves, sat, unsharp msk in PS CS6.
1,200 frames were aligned and stacked in Registax 6 with 100 [0.1 denoise, 0.06 sharpen], 100 [0.1 denoise, 0.07 sharpen], 100 [0.2 denoise, 0.09 sharpen], 100 [0.4 denoise, 0.14 sharpen], 100 [0.1 denoise, 0.17 sharpen], 100 [0.1 denoise, 0.14 sharpen], linked wavelets at 1,0 step size.

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 704

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics