Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
De Lorme
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/30/08

latitude angle setter
      #5607683 - 01/06/13 01:48 AM

Hi Everybody, After running into a digital angle setter for longitude is there such a thing as digital angle setter for latitude? I hope there is. De Lorme

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: latitude angle setter new [Re: De Lorme]
      #5608113 - 01/06/13 11:21 AM

Quote:

Hi Everybody, After running into a digital angle setter for longitude is there such a thing as digital angle setter for latitude? I hope there is. De Lorme

Based on your other thread regarding setting circles for a Dob, are you actually inquiring about longitude and latitude or about AZIMUTH and ALTITUDE? Assuming you're now asking about altitude, a digital inclinometer would work well for your application.

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
      #5608364 - 01/06/13 01:19 PM

Dude:

You have a DOB. A DOB is a simple and elegant instrument.

You are WAY over thinking this.

Forget about all the fancy gizmos and blinking lights.

Take a chill pill, then take your DOB outside and just observe.

The fresh air will do you good....

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #5608379 - 01/06/13 01:28 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but in 8 years I've never had a battery fail in this (Home Depot, $9.99)

De Lorme
professor emeritus

Re: latitude angle setter new [Re: Skylook123]
      #5608980 - 01/06/13 06:14 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of convience and ACCURACY. They still matter dom't they? Hi Jim, I'ts
hard to read those little lines. I'd keep extra batteries just in case. But my question has not been answered. Possibly because there isn't such a gadget. Is there a digital Azimuth setter?
In regards to setting circles; It's hard to do any ajustment at night in 20 degree weather. I've read some people cannot find Polaris because of some obstruction or weather and use the magnetic declination method{which can be done during the day when the weahter is much nicer} and have found it to be accurate. I will find this out for my self hopefully by the end of the month.
I mounted the helical focuser yesterday. Will put on new Ebony strips tommorrow. Next clean the mirror and do some midifications on the mirror board. Last paint the tub inside and out. Wish I could afford to Prostar it and buy a better mirror cell. Mabey next year. Mabey If we all look we might find a digital Azimuth setter. De Lorme

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
      #5609100 - 01/06/13 07:32 PM

This Astro-fix Locator is probably what you are looking for but I have yet to find a review from anyone that has used it.

If I may, I would also recommend that you read up a little on the differences between Latitude & Longitude and Altitude & Azumith and Right Ascension & Declination. Using the right terms will aid us in helping you in the future. Good luck with your project.

Eric

De Lorme
professor emeritus

Re: latitude angle setter new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5609621 - 01/07/13 03:10 AM

I Apologize for the confusion of terms. Since {to me} there
is simularities between the three I did'nt realize that there is a distinct differance. I will check into it more.
Eric Many thanks for telling me about Astro-Fix Locator.
About a week ago I ran into Rod Nabholz article "A Different Way to get there". I saw how looked for the possiblity of a better system and he found it.
These are really great times for astronomy. Such advances in technology that make life so much easer and fun.
Thanks again Eric, for putting forth the effort.
I think Rod needs to know about this. I'm going to tell him now. Happy New Year! De Lorme

Pages: 1

Extra information
14 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 671

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics