Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1
newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
First time bino owner new
      #5585478 - 12/23/12 12:02 PM

Hi all

I'm new to this hobby and am learning a lot as I go. I mainly post in the newbie forum. I currently own a 6" Dob and will be getting a refractor at some time.
So after reading advice from many members about binos for beginners to learn the stars and star hopping I went out and bought my first ever binos. Now I know they are not the greatest and no where close to what you all are into here, but they are binos none the less. I bought the Tasco 10x50 zip binos from Walmart, yeah I know, for $25. Last night I used them for about 10 good minutes to get the hang of them and set the diopter.
I never knew one could see so much with binos and now understand why you all here in this forum love binos. I have seen many of my favorite clusters I always view with my Dob, but in a larger fov. Hoping to learn more about viewing with binos by reading more here in this forum.

Cheers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
richsvt
sage

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: North Shore of Boston
Re: First time bino owner new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5585486 - 12/23/12 12:09 PM

Welcome Rob.
I am glad you got into Binoculars. They are wonderful way to grab some quick views without a lot of fuss. Don't be too concerned about the quality of the optics yet. Get out and explore as much as you can. The yearn to upgrade will always be there. Once you've reached the limits of what those particular bins will show you, you can then plan your next steps.
Read many of the articles from the links on the top of this forum, Edz has so many contributions to the art, that it is daunting.
Best thing is to get out and view as much possible. Kudos to you.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: First time bino owner new [Re: richsvt]
      #5585520 - 12/23/12 12:30 PM

Hi Rich
After chatting with you I was curious and thinking about binos for those quick views like I had mentioned. It is different and will take getting used but I figure before I get a refractor I'll use the binos for those night were I just want to view for ten minutes or so, instead of taking out the Dob. I really want the 120ST with the wide fov and figure the binos will give me an idea what it's like with a ST scope and wide fov.
I was tempted to get the Bushnell 16x50 they had for twice the price but didn't want to spend too much and end up not using binos.
Man I can't wait for the clouds to clear and the stars come out again.

richsvt
sage

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: North Shore of Boston
      #5586267 - 12/23/12 09:06 PM

I think the 10x50 is a good choice. It provides a decent balance between power and light gathering ability with a light enough weight to hand hold well.
I keep a 10x50 close at hand for those times I want to pop outside for a few to catch some clear skies.
It doesn't seem we'll have clear skies for a while...

Happy Holidays to you.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5586300 - 12/23/12 09:32 PM

Welcome to using binos. Now you know why there's a whole forum dedicated to them.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: First time bino owner new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5586433 - 12/23/12 11:15 PM

Yep binos are something everyone should have.

Well it's clear here Rich. Just stepped out for ten minutes and saw some old friends....clusters. Also viewed M31 and M42, albeit a smudge but saw them none the less.

AlAzad
journeyman

Reged: 07/30/12

Loc: Urmia, Iran
      #5599106 - 01/01/13 04:30 AM

Hi all
I'm going to buy my first bino. I want to ask some questions about 2 models. Fist one is Celectron SkyMaster 15x70, the other one is 15x70 NightSky HK5. First one is known to every body but I didnot find anything about second one.
This is NightSky URL: http://tinyurl.com/aug45cm
It has seprate fucos system for each eye, Nitrogen filled and a hard case. And also enhancement in optical sysytem.
I this good for double price?

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/07

Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA
Re: First time bino owner new [Re: AlAzad]
      #5599133 - 01/01/13 05:40 AM

Hi Azad,
If you ask my suggestion then, I will not recommend both because the sky master is prone to mis-align most of the time when arrived at its destination and I am sure that you do not want to do alignment.

The other one is kind of unknown species and if I were you then I will not choose it.

Look here at cloudy nights used binocular or go to Garrett Optical website or Oberweck website. If you can get a Pentax PCF 20x60 in Iran around $170.00 then go for it. Although, the FOV is 2.2 degree and hard to hand hold but you get the better optics.

Man in a Tub
Postmaster

Reged: 10/28/08

Loc: Fogpatch, CA
Re: First time bino owner new [Re: Jawaid I. Abbasi]
      #5599150 - 01/01/13 06:48 AM

Whoa! Hold on there!

That NightSky HK5 looks exactly like the Garrett® Gemini 15x70 WP-CF Mk II. Read about the Garrett binocular in the reviews section. If it's the same binocular, it's a good one. And the NightSky HK5 price is about the same as Garrett's. (I think Garrett's prices have gone up recently.)

P.S. Here's a link to the review:

Garrett® Gemini 15x70 WP-CF Mk II

Best regards,

Edited by Man in a Tub (01/01/13 07:02 AM)

AlAzad
journeyman

Re: First time bino owner new [Re: Man in a Tub]
      #5599210 - 01/01/13 08:55 AM

Biggest problem here in Iran is we don't have so many choices. There is one or two stores here for astronomical equipment and buying directly from other countries is impossible (because of economical sanctions).
So, I think I do some researches about this NightSky or Garrett. And if it's Garrett, it seems to be good one. Or if it's not much reliable, I will look for lower magnifications.
Thank you Jawid and thank you "man in a tube".

Man in a Tub
Postmaster

Reged: 10/28/08

Loc: Fogpatch, CA
Re: First time bino owner new [Re: AlAzad]
      #5599246 - 01/01/13 09:20 AM

I looked at more of the link you provided. There is no doubt in my mind that most, if not all, of the NightSky-branded binoculars come from Kunming United Optics. That's the same Chinese manufacturer from which Garrett orders binoculars.

Rich V.
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA
Re: First time bino owner new [Re: Man in a Tub]
      #5599489 - 01/01/13 12:18 PM

+1 for the NightSky if you can afford it. It's clearly a KUO BA10 bino and would be far superior to a Skymaster.

Interesting that Dubai Telescope even shows a WO 22x70 in their inventory for $925!

Enjoy,

Rich

AlAzad
journeyman

Re: First time bino owner [Re: Rich V.]
      #5607991 - 01/06/13 10:02 AM

Thanks guys, I called to buy HK5, but there was no inventory. May be several weeks later they wil have new binos.

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1021

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics