Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
chrisg
sage

Reged: 02/15/09

Can this be adapted?
      #5608068 - 01/06/13 10:57 AM

Helllo everyone. I've een thinking of getting an AYO Mark 2, wondering if I can adapt my tripod legs to attach to the AYO. I've got a standard aluminum surveyor tripod from Stellarvue that has a 5/8"-11 bolt, AYO states that it can attach to standard Vixen SP/GP and SX tripods with a 3/8" center bolt. I imagine I could find a 3/8" center bolt for my surveyor tripod but is that a standard part that can be easily found/adapted? What's the typical way to make this work?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

Re: Can this be adapted? new [Re: chrisg]
      #5609173 - 01/06/13 08:23 PM

Vixen is 10mm not in imperial unit. Consider putting a sleeve on the tripod side to reduce the size.

PaulEK
sage

Reged: 05/25/08

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Can this be adapted? new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5609580 - 01/07/13 01:45 AM

10mm is not far from 3/8-inch, and the threads are close, too: I use 3/8" threaded rod to attach my Vixen Super Polaris to its wooden tripod with a homemade spreader. But I'm not using lovely new equipment.

I'm not familiar with the items you're thinking about, but did look at photos of them. I couldn't find one with a picture of the top of the tripod. If you are talking about just a bolt that has to feed through a hole from the bottom and screw into the AYO Mark 2, any decent hardware store will have both American and metric bolts of just about any size, thread pitch, and length you could need, with washers to cover any gaps, and probably sleeves (both nylon or metal) for a tighter fit in the hole in the tripod, if needed.

Sorry if this is an ignorant answer; just trying to help!

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

Re: Can this be adapted? new [Re: PaulEK]
      #5609701 - 01/07/13 07:40 AM

(Sidenote)
RE: 10mm vs 3/8" screw...

This topic has been discussed in the past. They are very similar but the diameter and thread pitch are still different.
Many inexpensive mounts are using soft Aluminum Alloy metal (pot metal) and can easily be cross-threaded. That's is why a mismatched bolt (3/8") can be threaded into a 10mm hole.
Disadvantages: one way and one time method to destroy a previously proper-fit, strong holding strength, and mechanically sound coupling.
Advantage: save few cents and 3/8" is easy to purchase in US.

My take, don't go that route. Short-cut? Yes. But... One way street and irreversible.

Pages: 1

Extra information
30 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 614

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics