Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
dpwoos
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/18/06

Loc: United States
Re: Which mirror better-Zambuto, Discovery or Orion UK new [Re: chaoscosmos]
      #5647486 - 01/28/13 07:00 AM

Quote:

This discussion reminds me somewhat of the ones that take place on the photography forums I visit. Instead of Zambuto it's Leica and Zeiss. Some people swear that Leica optics are worth many times what you might pay for Nikon, Canon, or other lesser known brands. Others think there's really no difference. I think myself that there is a difference between these photographic optics (I don't know enough about telescope mirrors), but that the user has to be quite discerning, which usually comes with experience. Like with many other manufactured items, you pay a heavy price to get the best.

I think that a lot of folks believe this, as it seems reasonable. However, and in my experience, it is not true when it comes to telescopes. There are a lot of cases where the optics are simply not very good, and that difference is readily visible through the eyepiece. I think that if I buy a camera, it will work well. If I buy a scope, it might not work well and in fact, at the lowest price points, it is guaranteed to not work as well (mechanically) as a lot of folks will expect. I realize that many people will find this incredible, but that is my experience.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
precaud
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: north central New Mexico
Re: Which mirror better-Zambuto, Discovery or Orion UK new [Re: dpwoos]
      #5647607 - 01/28/13 08:55 AM

Quote:

I think that if I buy a camera, it will work well. If I buy a scope, it might not work well

I wish this were the case with cameras... I bought one of the 35x "superzoom" Canons last year, bought new directly from Canon. It was horrible, I couldn't believe something so bad could get through their automated QC. I sent it to their repair facility on warranty, they replaced the whole lens/CCD assembly, a human being tested and adjusted it, flashed it with newer firmware, and it is now the excellent camera that I'd read about.

It's tough times in optical businesses lately. Lots of corners being cut to stay afloat. If, as a customer, you don't insist on reasonable quality, you are relying on luck and may not get it.

oldtimer
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/13/08

Loc: Lake County Illinois
Re: Which mirror better-Zambuto, Discovery or Orion UK new [Re: dpwoos]
      #5652389 - 01/30/13 01:54 PM

Here is the reality. Commerical mirror makers are only going to put so many hours into a mirror. At the end of that specified times it ships. It may be poor, fair. good or great. If you get a bad one you can return it and they will send you the next one off the line. The bad one will NOT be reworked but merely sent to the next customer. Eventually it will find its way into the hands of someone who doesn't know the difference.

People like Zambuto and Harry will stand behind their quality claims. You pay more but quality always has a higher price.

bob irvin
sage

Reged: 03/22/11

Loc: Greater Los Angeles, CA
Re: Which mirror better-Zambuto, Discovery or Orion UK new [Re: Fred1]
      #5652589 - 01/30/13 03:44 PM

Quote:

Shameless self-agrandization An Afternoon With Carl Zambuto.

very cool post, thanks for sharing.

bob

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Which mirror better-Zambuto, Discovery or Orion UK new [Re: ausastronomer]
      #5652947 - 01/30/13 06:22 PM

Quote:

My 14" Zambuto mirror on the other hand is only 1.3" thick and cools beautifully, consequently it delivers to its maximum performance potential a lot more often. I have the same sensors on the 14" scope and it very quickly gets to within 1 deg C to 2 deg C of ambient quite quickly. That's not to say the OMI mirror is the equal of the Zambuto mirror optically, it isn't, but its still a very good mirror restricted only by its thermal properties, not its optical quality.

John my experience mirrors yours exactly. I have a 15" Obsession and the stock 2" thick pyrex OMI mirror is excellent but can take awhile to cool. I just replaced mine with a ZOC 14.5" but I would not hesitate to recommend the OMI. In fact I plan on sticking my OMI in an old Discovery 16" split-tube (if I can find an empty one) and fitting it out with multiple fans so I have more thermal control.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6445

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics