Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment new [Re: Peter Natscher]
      #5624357 - 01/15/13 12:57 PM Attachment (47 downloads)

Well, this is showing off a bit, but I don't think it as one-of-a-kind. Many pilots I know have an interest in amateur astronomy.

In the '80s when I was paying myself well, I used this to commute on weekends from Orange County to a cabin I had in Big Bear. If you've ever tried to get out of O.C. eastbound on Friday evenings or back to on Sunday evening, you can imagine my pleasure overflying the 91 freeway.

I had a nice Celestron C8 at the time and it rode in its trunk in the baggage compartment.

Don't have the plane anymore, but it was fun times. Work hard, play hard. Retired now on a much slower pace.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: EddWen]
      #5624388 - 01/15/13 01:16 PM

So much for my 5.7 Ltr engine. Your ride makes mine look very pedestrian by comparison.

CJK
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: Northeast TN
      #5624406 - 01/15/13 01:25 PM

I was wondering when somebody was going to post an airplane!

I thought it would be cheating, because I haven't ever carried a scope in a plane ...

-- Chris

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
      #5624429 - 01/15/13 01:36 PM

Quote:

Well, this is showing off a bit, but I don't think it as one-of-a-kind. Many pilots I know have an interest in amateur astronomy.

As the kids say, you just won the thread.

Tom

Paul Romero
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/05

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: Tom Polakis]
      #5624484 - 01/15/13 02:09 PM

Back in '82, I transported my C8 to Kona Village Resort via a 747.

clear skies,

Paul

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5624617 - 01/15/13 03:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Which begs the question ... if you are having trouble with your daylight vision, why are you driving?

Jeff,

The DRL are not to enable the driver to see better. They are for the vehicle to be more visible to other drivers.

Stan

I had hoped it was obvious that DLR's do not function to illuminate the road, but thanks for clarifying that.

But the question remains: if one is having that much difficulty with daylight vision, isn't time to hang up the keys?

Before this tangent spirals out of control, the larger point is that DLR's are a fairly ridiculous "safety" feature. 20/20 vision requirements should be sufficient.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5624622 - 01/15/13 03:13 PM

Nice!! I often thought of the remote areas I could reach with a Husky equipped with tundra tires. Might be cheaper just to by the land and build an observatory though

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5626114 - 01/16/13 12:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Which begs the question ... if you are having trouble with your daylight vision, why are you driving?

Jeff,

The DRL are not to enable the driver to see better. They are for the vehicle to be more visible to other drivers.

Stan

I had hoped it was obvious that DLR's do not function to illuminate the road, but thanks for clarifying that.

But the question remains: if one is having that much difficulty with daylight vision, isn't time to hang up the keys?

Before this tangent spirals out of control, the larger point is that DLR's are a fairly ridiculous "safety" feature. 20/20 vision requirements should be sufficient.

Once upon a time I owned a silver Civic.
Mechanically it was a very reliable vehicular telescope transportation device. Federal speed limit was 55 at the time, and at that it would do 40+ mpg easily on the highway. The short and narrow wheel base worked darn well on dry hard two tracks back into public land. You could often drive around the worst of the ruts left by the big boys who had been playing in the sometimes wet spots. Festiva's work even better at this.

But The Civic was small and silver. Kinda sorta stealth radar invisible to many other drivers. We were hit three times in that car, by other drivers who didn't see it until the last minute, locked up their brakes and slide into it. Damage was blessedly minor in each case, with no one hurt. This did not include all the other times we had to swerve, head to the shoulder, the median, swap lanes or lock up our brakes when others would pull right out in front like your weren't even there. Driving then without the lights on all the time was like a game of russian roulette.

There are several things I learned from owning that car. What DLR's are for being one of them. Others include not choosing another silver colored vehicle. As family and friends have experienced different versions of stealth radar invisibility as well, with their pretty silver vehicles. And to buy a bit more aggressive winter/summer regular life span tires. Little cars weigh little, and work significantly better with a little help in traction. For braking, and for rain, snow and trails. Also that while the 18' lake canoe fit well on the Civic, it did not on the Festiva that replaced it. But if you build in ultra light trailer to haul an 18' canoe behind your Festiva, then you can also use that trailer to haul your 13" solid tube Coulter behind your Festiva.

Edited by izar187 (01/17/13 05:56 AM)

SteveTheSwede

Reged: 09/28/09

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5626895 - 01/16/13 07:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wrong questions and you are dead wrong. It increases visibility which in turn reduces fatal accidents, at night and in daylight. We've had these laws for decades and they have been collecting mountains of statistical data. It's a fact: lights on = fewer people die.

Steve

D. Perry

Reged: 09/28/07

Loc: Southern California, USA
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: turtle86]
      #5627340 - 01/17/13 01:34 AM

+1 for a current model Subaru Outback.

I currently have a 2006 4Runner Sport V6 2WD. It's been an excellent vehicle. No real complaints except that it's pretty worthless in moderately deep sand and on snow and ice, as would be expected with a RWD 2WD SUV. I'm sure the 4WD model would be fantastic in those conditions. But with the current models they changed things up as far as trim lines and features, which has led to much higher prices than when I bought mine. You're looking at $34K+ for a pretty basic model. I paid $31K for a brand new, mid trim level, with DVD navigation, built-in inverter, anti-theft system, power front seats, and several other niceties.

I'm looking seriously into an Outback. It'll allow me to downsize a bit while still getting good power and torque, better mileage, decent cargo, and much more capable while off-road or on sketchy road conditions. I'd avoid the older models as the mileage isn't as good and there have been complaints about road noise and other oddities.

Best,

Edited by D. Perry (01/17/13 01:39 AM)

Dhellis59

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5707155 - 03/01/13 01:11 PM

You know Dwight, suddenly I feel less guilty about buying that extra eyepiece set that I didn't really need. Nice collection of scopes...real nice!

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: Dhellis59]
      #5707237 - 03/01/13 01:58 PM

Daniel,

I can't comment about snow, but if you let down your air pressure to something like 18 PSI, you should be able to handle most sand areas except for dune bashing, which really needs 4WD and sometimes dif-lock

cheapersleeper
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/10

Loc: Sachse TX
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: Hilmi]
      #5708177 - 03/02/13 04:17 AM

I have a plan........to build a Teardrop trailer and keep it light so that I can tow it with whatever vehicle I have. Load it up with scopes, drive it where I want to observe, unload the scopes and have a place to sleep.

Sounds good to me.

Regards,
Brad

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5708926 - 03/02/13 02:36 PM

Yes, I am learning heavily to the new Outback. I wonder how a dealer will react to my request to load all my equipment in the back (I'll bring it in my Pathfinder)? That and I have to make sure i can stretch out in the back after summer observing.

brave_ulysses

Reged: 04/19/09

Loc: far outside the wire
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: JayinUT]
      #5709499 - 03/02/13 08:15 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

one day i hope to be using this to transport my scope

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: JayinUT]
      #5709865 - 03/03/13 02:09 AM

Quote:

Yes, I am learning heavily to the new Outback. I wonder how a dealer will react to my request to load all my equipment in the back (I'll bring it in my Pathfinder)? That and I have to make sure i can stretch out in the back after summer observing.

The dealer where I looked at a Volkwagon Golf station wagon and the other where I looked at the Subaru Forester both did. So did the Mazda guy. I did both of those things. If they don't then I doubt they really want to sell a vehicle.

I have yet to decide on a vehicle. I'm waiting until the all new Forester comes out later this March.

Bill

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: brave_ulysses]
      #5709869 - 03/03/13 02:13 AM

Quote:

one day i hope to be using this to transport my scope

Problem with the Unimog is that you could probably get A top of the line AP Mount, AP Refractore, imaging gear, nice airconditioned/heated tent and money to spare for a small house. All for the price of one Unimog from the dealership. I have no idea how much the go for second hand.

brave_ulysses

Reged: 04/19/09

Loc: far outside the wire
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: Hilmi]
      #5709908 - 03/03/13 03:36 AM

hi hilmi,

i have the unimog and the scope, just need to work on the 'mog to make it wife-friendly (if that is possible). it's a 1984 u1700.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: brave_ulysses]
      #5709918 - 03/03/13 04:13 AM

I tried for years to make my Mini Clubman wife friendly and the only solution was to Move to a Toyota Sequoia and take her on a shopping holiday. I had to fold down the seats and use the roof rack. After that she declared my new car was wife friendly.

I guess it's also scope friendly too since I can fit all my gear. Now all I need is a lifting kit and the same shocks used on the Ford Raptor, you know, all in the interest of a smooth ride and maintaining colimation on the rough roads.

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5710121 - 03/03/13 08:29 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

Quote:

I have a plan........to build a Teardrop trailer and keep it light so that I can tow it with whatever vehicle I have. Load it up with scopes, drive it where I want to observe, unload the scopes and have a place to sleep.

Sounds good to me.

Regards,
Brad

That was my idea, too. I wanted to build one, but after adding up all the costs it was going to be kind of $$$. I'd been also checking Craigslist for an old one to restore, but that was expensive, too. I found this one built by a fellow in Toledo that was only used once or twice and the price was less that building one myself. I can store all of my astro gear inside and it stays in my garage.

I've had it at one star party and pulled it with a Jeep Cherokee Classic to last years Peach State Star Gaze. I had my dob in the Jeep and the rest in the teardrop. I won't do it this way again as it lowered my Jeep's gas millage by 25% and with all my stuff in it I had no room to sleep while on the road. Most of the star parties I attend are at least two days drive and it would have been nice to just pull into a rest area, climb in the back, and sleep. Next time I'll pull it with my minivan where I'll keep most of the gear and then have room in the teardrop to sleep. At the star party it was awesome and I've never had a better nights sleep at a star party but must remember to park it with the windows facing north and south, the Sun woke me up too early and I had to jerry rig towels over the windows to use as drapes.

The first time I had ever seen a teardrop was six or seven years before at the Peach State. Ironically, that one was for sale this year for the same price I paid for mine. It was a hit at the star party and everyone had to come over to take a look.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10592

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics