Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/08/04

Loc: New York City
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5737613 - 03/16/13 11:17 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

[quote)Cars are not toys,

To a lot of people they are. Life is too short to have a vehicle that is not fun.

My Trailblazer SS gets (according to its Driver Info Center on the dash) 12.8 miles to the gallon (drinks only 91+,) is fully loaded with electric everything that never malfunctions and when it does I'll simply fix it, has a Corvette engine and tuned suspension that was calibrated on the Nuremburg track in Germany. When I am leaving for somewhere, even if it is to work, I look forward to driving it because it is super fun. I can't (and don't like to) drive fast, but the rumble gives me that nostalgic Super Sport feeling that reminds me of American muscle cars back in the day.

Can it make it up that 45-degree incline in the video with its 65/35 AWD? Probably not. Who cares? (Actually, maybe, with her 400 horses.) I would much rather have its dual piston calipers on the brakes, since I tend to utilize brakes more than any hill climbing ability.

I do wheelies on the weekends at Floyd Bennett field, and in the country, she launches and opens up like a certified Nascar. When I am waiting for my scope to get a GPS lock, I check out the front and rear fascias, that make me smile and feel younger. The same with the racing tachometer and the SS stitching in the seats.

And yes, my astronomy equipment, coincidentally, is in the rear, and this shot was taken with the 40D I was using that day.

Beware of falling into oldness. It tends to snowball.

And buy American.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la9QmmdAGP0

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: thesubwaypusher]
      #5738155 - 03/17/13 08:25 AM Attachment (30 downloads)

My mobile observatory:

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: ahopp]
      #5739700 - 03/17/13 09:45 PM

Sweeeeet!

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5752536 - 03/23/13 07:34 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Thank you Jay, for originating this thread. You reminded me to go out to the beach this weekend and have some fun with my TOY. And no, it didn't break down on me once on the 40-mile trip!

I washed it, got new plates, got new decals, got this kool Corvette emblem from Ebay (since the mechanics of the truck are Corvette based) and even bought a new bike rack. I got a new one because I was afraid of the old one breaking! Oh my!

(I was even going to buy a Subaru emblem, but nobody would believe that because they would see that this is a real truck.)

Then I had a ball for the rest of the afternoon just taking pictures!

CORVSS = Corvette Super Sport.

I was gonna get CHRISS!

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment new [Re: thesubwaypusher]
      #5752538 - 03/23/13 07:35 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

Another...

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

#5752543 - 03/23/13 07:36 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Another..

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

#5752544 - 03/23/13 07:37 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Another....

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

#5752546 - 03/23/13 07:38 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Another.....

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

#5752548 - 03/23/13 07:39 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Another......

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

#5752551 - 03/23/13 07:39 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Last...

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

#5752557 - 03/23/13 07:43 PM

Isn't that a beautiful plate? No, I'm not an egomaniac! The annual fee goes to charity.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5752863 - 03/23/13 10:17 PM

Dude, isn't that an SUV? Why no sand dune jumping or rutted trail pictures?

Just teasin' ya. Though I shudder when my AWD vehicles don't get better than 25mpg.

- Jim

prichardson

Reged: 10/26/11

Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5752970 - 03/23/13 11:22 PM

Purchased a Subaru Outback H6 last October. This is our first Subie after years of owning only Honda Accords. Overall it has been a positive experience. The main function is a family wagon hauling a 3yr old, not telescopes. We are planning a road trip in June to Arkansas were I will be taking two small scopes (and the 3yr old).

City MPG stinks, but I already knew that. Highway MPG a little better. Now I just need to do something about the pathetic sounding horn.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment new [Re: prichardson]
      #5753082 - 03/24/13 12:34 AM

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/40213-horn-replace...

I have the 2.5i Limited. Love the gas mileage, but compared to the H6, the H4 is a bit anemic and the CVT has a somewhat strange "moan" under acceleration load. The dividends though are on the mileage front. In stop and go I get 24-25mpg and on long freeway trips, I see 31-32mpg. My 2007 Forester, also an H4, but the last generation of that motor, averages about 22mpg combined in mixed driving. I find the mpg of the 2.5 Outback to be pretty impressive for an AWD vehicle with 70 cu. ft. of cargo capacity. On the other hand, I think the H6 is the better choice for loaded travel - especially if big hills are involved.

Regards,

Jim

Shneor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Northern California
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment new [Re: Starman1]
      #5753192 - 03/24/13 02:29 AM

Quote:

Back in the '90s, Steven Overholt showed up at RTMC with a 30" dob he'd transported there in a Ford Festiva! With a passenger!
He said it cleared the wheel wells on the side by an inch on each side, and that, when he saw it, he smacked himself in the head and said, "Darn! I could've built a 32!"
The poles went from the right dashboard top to the left hatchback window, diagonally through the car. The passenger had the poles a few inches away from her neck.
Big scope, small car, overall winner of all time.
Alvin Huey's 22" in a Bug is a runner-up.

I remember that scope, it was a 30" f/3. One glimpse through an eyepiece was enough, quite a lot of distortion in the image (and I'm relatively tolerant). I saw it at Blue Canyon. But amazing to fit it in such a small car.

Clears,

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

#5753456 - 03/24/13 09:33 AM

Quote:

Dude, isn't that an SUV? Why no sand dune jumping or rutted trail pictures?

Just teasin' ya. Though I shudder when my AWD vehicles don't get better than 25mpg.

- Jim

WHAT? No way man! Sand is like kryptonite to mechanics, especially CV joints.

Only busting b.... about the Subaru, they are great cars.

I know, the only way you buy this truck is after you drive it and realize that it handles like a Mazda. What they did to it is absolutely fascinating.

Thanks, Chris

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment new [Re: Shneor]
      #5753696 - 03/24/13 11:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Back in the '90s, Steven Overholt showed up at RTMC with a 30" dob he'd transported there in a Ford Festiva! With a passenger!
He said it cleared the wheel wells on the side by an inch on each side, and that, when he saw it, he smacked himself in the head and said, "Darn! I could've built a 32!"
The poles went from the right dashboard top to the left hatchback window, diagonally through the car. The passenger had the poles a few inches away from her neck.
Big scope, small car, overall winner of all time.
Alvin Huey's 22" in a Bug is a runner-up.

I remember that scope, it was a 30" f/3. One glimpse through an eyepiece was enough, quite a lot of distortion in the image (and I'm relatively tolerant). I saw it at Blue Canyon. But amazing to fit it in such a small car.

Clears,

And one of the very few scopes I'd ever apply the adjective "flimsy" to.
But it was 30".

prichardson

Reged: 10/26/11

#5754063 - 03/24/13 01:53 PM

Quote:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/40213-horn-replace...

I have the 2.5i Limited. Love the gas mileage, but compared to the H6, the H4 is a bit anemic and the CVT has a somewhat strange "moan" under acceleration load. The dividends though are on the mileage front. In stop and go I get 24-25mpg and on long freeway trips, I see 31-32mpg. My 2007 Forester, also an H4, but the last generation of that motor, averages about 22mpg combined in mixed driving. I find the mpg of the 2.5 Outback to be pretty impressive for an AWD vehicle with 70 cu. ft. of cargo capacity. On the other hand, I think the H6 is the better choice for loaded travel - especially if big hills are involved.

Regards,

Jim

We purchased the H6 Limited. My wife had been driving a 2006 V6 Accord (which has now passed down to me), so I wanted to keep the same type of performance. It seems to be about 19 at best for daily city, and 27 using cruise on flat highway. No hills in New Orleans, but you are faced with the possibility of bugging out each year with a loaded down vehicle. There were better vehicles for this purpose (Pilot or Highlander), but my wife refused to have a full-size SUV as an everyday vehicle.

Yes, I spent a lot of time on www.subaruoutback.org before our purchase. I'll check out what people are doing about the horn.

Cheers

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmari...
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5754338 - 03/24/13 03:50 PM

This is what I've ordered 3 weeks ago:

Bed configuration

Warm room / Daytime configuration

Dimensions

You can see some photos here and here

Here is a video from the early days of production. You have the liberty of choosing the kind of wood and upholstery to suit your taste. You can also design both side walls to your taste.

4 person can dine inside and 2 can sleep. I plan to use it as my warm room during the winter and as a mosquito shelter during summer. I can easily remotely control my imaging ring from inside this.

At a maximum 400 kilos, it is very easy to tow almost with any car. I will be using my Honda CRV for this purpose.

They are built in Turkey and currently being exported to Holland. Mine will be delivered some time in May, June.

My mobile setup will consist of a Celestron VX Mount, C8 Edge and/or FSQ106. I can easily carry these either in the car on in the caravan.

This way, I will be able to reach the dark spots in the neighborhood within a 1-4 hour circle and comfortably stay there for a couple of nights.

Phil Frederick
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/19/05

Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5754619 - 03/24/13 06:01 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Here's my little DARKSKY rig. 2001 VW Eurovan always garaged and fully ready for a camping/stargazing trip. Just load a bit of food, a few liquid essentials and a few scopes.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10573

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics