Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bernie Skerl

Reged: 07/25/10

Loc: newburgh indiana
Remote desktop telescope control
      #5608557 - 01/06/13 02:43 PM

Is anyone using remote desktop to control their scope?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
terry59
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/18/11

Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: Bernie Skerl]
      #5608743 - 01/06/13 04:16 PM

yes. I now have two setups so I switched to the Remote Desktop Connection Manager. Both are fine.

johne
sage

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ.
Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: terry59]
      #5609681 - 01/07/13 06:53 AM

I use Remote Desktop to control everything in my roll-away observatory (except opening the doors and rolling it back/away and closing it back up.)

I'm running a mixture of Windows 7 Pro and XP Pro on my computers. For me, Remote Desktop works without any problems and has the best performance. I tried other remote access programs such as GoToMyPC, LogMeIn, UltraVNC, TightVNC and a few others), and what I had with all of those aps was jerky/slow screen updates. I wish I had the same experience as so many others using the free remote access programs. It just didn't work out for me.

The downside for Remote Desktop for Windows is the requirement for the "Pro" version of Windows 7 or XP.

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: johne]
      #5610467 - 01/07/13 03:45 PM

Quote:

I'm running a mixture of Windows 7 Pro and XP Pro on my computers. For me, Remote Desktop works without any problems and has the best performance. I tried other remote access programs such as GoToMyPC, LogMeIn, UltraVNC, TightVNC and a few others), and what I had with all of those aps was jerky/slow screen updates. I wish I had the same experience as so many others using the free remote access programs. It just didn't work out for me.

The freebees also have annoying access limitations as well as poor operating characteristics. Your not the only one that gave up on them. I suspect many of the freebee users around here have never used any commercial software. That's the only reason I can think why they keep recommending the free versions. One way or the other you end up paying for the software.

I'm using Net Support Manager. Might be interesting to compare it with Remote Desktop. Net Support has a rather large Client running at the remote computer. That is only an issue on the oldest of the PC's I have in the observatory. The graphics are very good compared to the free versions but not still not 100%. I guess there's some sacrificing for speed. I could live with a slower response time for 100% screen reproduction.

Billydee
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: Lorence]
      #5610868 - 01/07/13 08:31 PM

Berine,

Read this Post. At the end it covers your subject in detail.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5607987/page...

Luck, Bill

Steve Drapak

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: Billydee]
      #5614775 - 01/10/13 12:37 AM

TeamViewer works well for me. It handles the OpenGL graphics that Remote Desktop doesn't, so I can see what Starry Night is doing on the remote machine.

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: Lorence]
      #5614948 - 01/10/13 06:51 AM

Quote:

The freebees also have annoying access limitations as well as poor operating characteristics. Your not the only one that gave up on them. I suspect many of the freebee users around here have never used any commercial software. That's the only reason I can think why they keep recommending the free versions. One way or the other you end up paying for the software.

Actually, I gave up on remote desktop because it would not support Open GL. I do a lot of remoting into servers to run detailed simulations, but I needed something to support Open GL. I found UltraVNC supported my needs perfectly. It's also what I currently use for my remote setup and I've never had any problem with it.

I use both commercial and freeware and if the freeware does not do the job, I junk it. However, lots of freeware does an outstanding job. Look at all the ASCOM software, GNU software and graphics software.

Regards,

Charlie B

shams42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/09

Loc: Kingsport, TN
Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: Charlie B]
      #5615296 - 01/10/13 11:21 AM

I have had great success using LogMeIn.com

morrisng2

Reged: 12/14/11

Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: shams42]
      #5615450 - 01/10/13 12:41 PM

I tried Splashtop and it is a great program. Basically, it treat your desktop graphics as video and simply stream the media to remote devices (PC, Mac, iOS, Android.) Very light in memory usage and it is fast (up to 30fps).

http://www.splashtop.com/home

The apps for the mobile devices does cost a few dollars if that is one of the consideration.

- Morris

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: morrisng2]
      #5615906 - 01/10/13 05:14 PM

Splashtop looks very interesting. I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Charlie B

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
      #5615940 - 01/10/13 05:42 PM

I've used the freeware program, TightVNC for many years for telescope control. I get a full color, full screen refresh in around a second and it never crashes. I've been very happy with it.

I'd probably switch to Remote Desktop, but my observatory computer is only running Windows XP Home.

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: *skyguy*]
      #5615962 - 01/10/13 06:01 PM

UltraVNC works fine for me for remote telescope control, even with framing and focusing. However, I'm always looking for something better.

Regards,
Charlie B

korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/29/11

Loc: Arizona
      #5616233 - 01/10/13 08:40 PM

I am giving Splashtop a try. The refresh rate is way better than RD ...which I really needed. Looking really good.

raf1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/18/05

Loc: south Texas
Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: shams42]
      #5619074 - 01/12/13 01:26 PM

Quote:

I have had great success using LogMeIn.com

+1

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: korborh]
      #5619179 - 01/12/13 02:30 PM

I installed it, but when executing it required access outside my local network. I consider that a security problem and declined.

Regards,

Charlie B

RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada
      #5619680 - 01/12/13 07:16 PM

I use Ultra VNC but I just tried Remote Desktop between my XP Pro Laptop and my Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit desktop machine and everything works fine as well.

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: RandallK]
      #5619717 - 01/12/13 07:39 PM

My problem with Remote Desktop is that it is not available on the computers I use for astronomy. I do have it on my work computer and I does work good when there is no need for open GL graphics.

Regards,

Charlie B

korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/29/11

Loc: Arizona
      #5619819 - 01/12/13 09:18 PM

I found Splashtop taking significant CPU resources and that was unacceptable with autoguiding and other stuff running. I am sticking to RD.

cavefrog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/11/08

Loc: loozyanna
Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: korborh]
      #5621086 - 01/13/13 03:43 PM

a question for those using tightVNC...
can this be used without going across the net. like keep it in a LAN?

Theo

Edited by cavefrog (01/13/13 10:53 PM)

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmari...
Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: cavefrog]
      #5621183 - 01/13/13 04:35 PM

I have been using Splashtop for over a year. I am very happy with it. I know it makes the remote computer sweat a little bit but that didn't caused me any ill effects so far. Besides, I am not staying connected all the time. Once I start my shooting sequence I come back home to spend some time with the family. Of course, my mind is at the scope. Once in a while I check if everything is ok, like whether the temperature has changed significantly or PHD is fooled by the clouds etc. Then disconnect. Update rates and connection speed is very good.

CarolG
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/16/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5622419 - 01/14/13 10:25 AM

I use remote desktop and tightvnc, and I like tightvnc a little better. It seems to respond to remote commands quicker and is very easy to use. I use both of these programs over my LAN. I have never tried to connect to my computer over WAN using a DNS server.

cavefrog
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: CarolG]
      #5623730 - 01/15/13 01:08 AM

Carol,

does one have to use a router in order to use tightVNC on a LAN?
I had tightVNC working, but it was across the web, which slowed it down a lot. how does one get it to work through a LAN? can you give me a few hints?

Theo

akawaka

Reged: 08/02/11

Loc: Calabasas, CA
      #5625100 - 01/15/13 08:07 PM

Of the VNC-variants, I find tightVNC to be the most optimal. Make sure you install the DFMirage mirror driver if you are using it, it is a separate download. Speeds things up a lot and reduces CPU load. Also, you need to be using a tightVNC client to get full advantage of all of tightVNCs performance features, though any VNC client will work.

Windows Remote Desktop (RDP) will usually outperform VNC in general UI usage, but when it comes to non-standard UI components (video, images, the entire backyardEOS (!) UI), it can be a toss up. tightVNCs JPEG compression may help you on a slow link, but if you are on a home network it may not matter.

There are some other things to consider when comparing VNC and RDP. It is a lot easier to share sessions with VNC. In my case I have my ipad and my desktop PC connecting to my netbook outside over VNC. They can all connect at once and see and share the same view. With RDP connecting from one place will usually disconnect the other (I think there may be a way to share, but I've never used it). VNC will work on and with pretty much anything windows, linux, bsd, os x, android, ipad, web. There are vnc servers and clients for pretty much everything.

On the other hand, RDP isn't limited to the resolution of the devices display. My netbook has a tiny little 1024x600 display which some windows don't even fit on correctly, when I connect using RDP I can use whatever resolution I want on the remote display. A 3 year old 1GB netbook it pretty cheap now and is more than powerful enough to run image capture and control software. If you are turned off by the tiny displays and terrible trackpads RDP could be a good solution here, just run it "headless" with the screen closed and interact with it completely over RDP.

George P Dunham

Reged: 06/24/12

Loc: Pinecliffe,CO USA
Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5625195 - 01/15/13 09:01 PM

I have been using the Mac OS equivalent Share Screen which has been seamless until Mountain Lion upgrade and has become too slow and unstable. Anyone experience this too?

CarolG
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/16/06

Loc: Oklahoma
      #5625218 - 01/15/13 09:21 PM

Hi Theo. I do use a wireless router. If you've got it working over the web, then you really have it all set up. I'm assuming your computer has a static IP address. If not, I found it to work better if the computer has a static LAN IP address. When you open the VNC window, just type the LAN IP address. If you have assigned a specific port number to that particular computer, you can enter that too. For example, just type: my IP address:3333. "my IP address" is your computer's LAN IP. When I used remote desktop, I assigned my computer a specific port number to increase security, but that's really not necessary for LAN.

I've never used Tight VNC over the web. I do have an account with DynamicDNS, but have never used it. Could you explain how you get it working over the web? Thanks!!

michalh

Reged: 11/30/09

Loc: Midwest, USA
Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: George P Dunham]
      #5625291 - 01/15/13 10:05 PM

George,

You are referring to your Mac's built in Screen Sharing which is activated in System Preferences? Are both Macs running OS 10.8? I'm pokey, still using 10.6, but I noticed a number of posts in Apple Support Communities. Try Googling "screen sharing slow mountain lion". Are you connecting via ethernet or WI-FI. WI-Fi users are reporting problems here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4151334?start=0&tstart=0

This seems to be an unresolved issue as of now.

In addition to "Screen Sharing", there is Back to My Mac, which requires a free iCloud account with Apple ID (formerly MobileMe). This operates through your Mac's built in Bonjour and can connect any two macs anywhere in the world via the internet. I can't use Back to My Mac due to iCloud's requirement of at least 10.7.

More info here: http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/back-to-my-mac/

Best of Luck,
Michal

cavefrog
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Remote desktop telescope control new [Re: michalh]
      #5626425 - 01/16/13 03:43 PM

"I've never used Tight VNC over the web. I do have an account with DynamicDNS, but have never used it. Could you explain how you get it working over the web? Thanks!! "

Carol,

I don't think you have to have an account to do this.

I have been having problems with my laptop as of late and cannot install VNC, but I will tell you as best I can recall. I think there is 2 modules to it. there is a server and a remote? not sure. but once they are installed, it places an icon on the toolbar. when one places the curser over the icon, it displays the IP address if one is connected to the net. each machine will have a different address. place the IP address from each machine on the opposite and they should connect. maybe one only has to place one opposing IP on one machine, that I am also unsure of, but I think you can get it going with this little bit of info.

my problem is to find my LAN IP. I have gotten the 2 machines to the point of file swapping and such, I think...

I got to get my main machine back in order before I can get to messing with a LAN again.

Theo

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2198

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics