Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
nganga

Reged: 03/16/08

CG5 oddity
      #5609020 - 01/06/13 06:49 PM

Hello all,

I have recently noticed an oddity when trying to balance the mount in declination. If I balance it with the scope on the east side, for example, when I switch the scope to the west side it immediately sags toward the camera or scope side, suggesting that it is grossly out of balance.

The dec axis moves freely when I turn it manually; this mount has received the careful attention of Mr. Ed Thomas. I have not noticed any cable entanglement or any loose bolts.

I welcome your ideas about how to fix this.

Clem

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
Re: CG5 oddity new [Re: nganga]
      #5609103 - 01/06/13 07:34 PM

Do you have a finder or other accessory that is not mounted on the center line of the optical tube? In other words, with the counter weight bar over the north leg is there anything on the OTA that is not monted at the "top" of the OTA in line with the counter weight bar?

nganga

Reged: 03/16/08

Re: CG5 oddity new [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #5609168 - 01/06/13 08:18 PM

Quote:

Do you have a finder or other accessory that is not mounted on the center line of the optical tube? In other words, with the counter weight bar over the north leg is there anything on the OTA that is not monted at the "top" of the OTA in line with the counter weight bar?

Cliff,

No finder when I am balancing. Just the camera out of the rearend of the scope, with the guidescope on a rail on top of the scope. I use the finder for calib., then remove it when I am ready to start imaging.

Clem

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 431

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics