Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
TimP

Reged: 02/24/09

Hyper Tuning My CGEM DX new
      #5607361 - 01/05/13 09:49 PM

Hello all. Long time lurker first time poster. I am in the middle of Hyper Tuning my CGEM DX. I pulled the motors out and gave them a few rotations in both directions. The RA motor turns fine in the clock wise direction but when I rotate it in the counter clock wise direction it has a sticking point every once in awhile. There is no sticking of the Dec motor. Heres the question. Do you think I should swap the RA and the DEC motors or should I search for another motor for the RA ?
Thanks
Tim Patton

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mak7
sage

Reged: 09/29/07

Loc: light polluted Phoenix AZ
Re: Hyper Tuning My CGEM DX new [Re: TimP]
      #5609120 - 01/06/13 07:44 PM

Tim,
First thing I would do is email Ed Thomas at Deep Space Products and ask his opinion on a solution. He has been through many, many mounts and knows all the fine tuning they need.
Ed is a straight shooter and will give you his honest opinion. I assume you purchased a HyperTune Kit from him, so he will be happy to work with you.
Brad

TimP

Re: Hyper Tuning My CGEM DX new [Re: mak7]
      #5609213 - 01/06/13 08:49 PM

Thanks Brad
I powered the motor and it doesn't have a sticking point that I can see. I'll put it back in and see how it acts after the rebuild. Frankly as tight as the worm gears were I should be surprised if it doesn't have motor problems. When I removed the clutches the mount didn't move. I had to manually move it. Good ole Chinese quality control. But this is what I have to contend with in my price range.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Hyper Tuning My CGEM DX new [Re: TimP]
      #5609448 - 01/06/13 11:22 PM

That's probably the best thing to do first since it is easy to remove the motors at any time. See how this one does, if it seems to be problematic, then I would recommend getting a replacement from Celestron but it may be fine as it is.

TimP

Re: Hyper Tuning My CGEM DX [Re: EFT]
      #5609466 - 01/06/13 11:35 PM

Thanks Ed. Everything is going great so far. I had to stop working on the mount until I get a tool I need to take off the end caps to the worm gear. This is my second mount. Celestron exchanged the first one because they couldn't figure out the problem. As I take this one apart it almost looks like someone has taken it apart before. Hmmm, I guess you never know.

Pages: 1

Extra information
27 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 836

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics